Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2014, 12:00   #8266
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 170
Thanked: 199 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillMan View Post
Guys, I have two cars and lot of construction in my area. The dust and cement material enters even closed garage and one of my cars stands outside in sun. The combination of cement dust and morning dew helps it settle on the roof.

It will be uneconomical for me to take the cars for detailing often. I'd like to go DIY with machine polishing..
More than a machine, what you need is a good clay to remove bonded contaminants. Machine is used for correction post cleaning.

A permanent coating may help you better in extreme conditions. Explore that option too.

Last edited by linuxmanju : 30th January 2014 at 12:17.
linuxmanju is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2014, 15:39   #8267
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: India
Posts: 546
Thanked: 575 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Pretty excited to try some new stuff this weekend. Some hand carried by a friend traveling from UK, some procured locally and some shipped all the way from the US.
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20140122-20.58.56.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20140114-19.49.48.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20140127-17.12.10.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20140114-19.47.40.jpg  

Pedaltothefloor is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2014, 20:22   #8268
BHPian
 
HillMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 699
Thanked: 401 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxmanju View Post
More than a machine, what you need is a good clay to remove bonded contaminants. Machine is used for correction post cleaning.

A permanent coating may help you better in extreme conditions. Explore that option too.
Where can I buy these stuffs in Bangalore at a reasonable prices?
The automotive and accessories shops stock only the regular wax and cleaner bottles.

I am in Bommanahalli. Also tried the Reliance on HSR.
HillMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2014, 20:27   #8269
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 170
Thanked: 199 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillMan View Post
Where can I buy these stuffs in Bangalore at a reasonable prices?
The automotive and accessories shops stock only the regular wax and cleaner bottles.

I am in Bommanahalli. Also tried the Reliance on HSR.
Check with Keystone Enterprises or Ultimate Detailerz in Bangalore, alternatively you can order online from DetailedClean India or Greenz Car care.
linuxmanju is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2014, 23:21   #8270
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 76
Thanked: 82 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Hello guys,

I've just come across a brand called CarBrite. They seem to have a comprehensive range for car detailing. I would like to know if someone has used it and would appreciate a neutral feedback. Although they seem to be affordable cost wise, I'd still like a general opinion from anyone who has used them before I pick up the stuff that I need. I am looking for a car shampoo, paint protection and paint restoration products from CarBrite. I've tried looking up across a few forums but not many seem to have used or come across this brand.

Thanks in advance!
vishwasvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2014, 13:10   #8271
BHPian
 
d_himan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 674
Thanked: 475 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Pretty much the only place to buy Meg's legendary D101 All Purpose Cleaner online is autofresh.

http://www.autofresh.in/home/meguiar...20-94351937753

I placed an order (primarily to clean carpets/sofas/thick fabrics at home!) but unfortunately, there was leakage. Mailed them and the response was immediate. I got a a discount coupon off my next purchase on any item on the website. No arguments. No passing the buck on the courier (GATI). Very, very professional dealing.

Please note: am in no way affiliated to the wesbite. Just posting about a great experience I had.
d_himan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2014, 16:13   #8272
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 127
Thanked: 91 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
With you stating the limitations, I would suggest skipping the water washing part at your place altogether, and get good quality wash+sealant done by a good detailer. Just look in the tbhp directory for your ideal fit.

Maintenance should include, but not necessarily remain limited to:

1. Jospasu (or if you wish to splurge - California) duster for regular dusting. while this is not 100% scratch proof way to do it, a good sealant/coating coupled with correct usage techniques drastically cuts down the number of fine scratches.

2. ONR / UWW - Use them as your go to QD.

3. Get a stack (atleast 6-8) good quality MF clothes.

4. Get Collinite 845 & a mf/foam applicator - this wax is easy to apply and buff, and you need it in very small quantities. This shall NOT be your base layer of LSP (your detailer should do that), you shall only use this monthly to top off your LSP.

5. Your detailer should also take care of the black cladding - PERL provides short time solution, while Gtechniq C4 is a long term solution. You shall be charged accordingly.

If you are getting your car done by a good detailer once every 6 months, you should use the following routine

1. Dust - everyday
2. UWW/ONR - QD - Every weekend
3. Wax with C845 - Every month end

Hope I was of some help!
Hi Sid,

With help from your post and some other BHPians, I'm going to try DIY car cleaning starting next week. I'm thinking of following routine:
1. Regular Car wash guy will continue for weekdays as it will take care of bird droppings (I've to park under road side trees near office)
2. On Weekends, ONR waterless wash
3. Waxing once a month using Collinite 845

Is the above approach ok? Also, I recently went for my first service and the service guy told me that my 3 months old car is too new to be sent for detailing as it may involve cutting of sealant (clear coat).
Also, whats your view on this 4 piece Microfiber set of Eurow:
http://bringingbest.in/index.php?rou...product_id=203

Thanks.
TSIched'Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2014, 18:11   #8273
Senior - BHPian
 
blackasta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Kolkata, WB
Posts: 2,691
Thanked: 831 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSIched'Out View Post
Hi Sid,

With help from your post and some other BHPians, I'm going to try DIY car cleaning starting next week. I'm thinking of following routine:
1. Regular Car wash guy will continue for weekdays as it will take care of bird droppings (I've to park under road side trees near office)
2. On Weekends, ONR waterless wash
3. Waxing once a month using Collinite 845

Is the above approach ok? Also, I recently went for my first service and the service guy told me that my 3 months old car is too new to be sent for detailing as it may involve cutting of sealant (clear coat).
Also, whats your view on this 4 piece Microfiber set of Eurow:
http://bringingbest.in/index.php?rou...product_id=203

Thanks.
If you have to park under trees as a daily exercise, consider getting your roof and hood wrapped in vinyl or PPF (paint protection film). That is the only way to not have bird bombs etch in to your paint.

Your regular car wash guy will ensure that everyday the paint is swirled up nicely by washing an entire car with a bucket of dirty water and red rag (99% of them do this, dunno if yours is an exception!)

If he does the above, I do not see any point of you doing a ONR wash on weekends and waxing on month ends. Maybe the wax shall impart some shine, but the paint would be swirled up beneath that.

That service guy of your knows nothing about paint. Paint cleansing and sealing is done right after you take delivery of a car. and the term 'cutting of sealant' means nothing. You lose clear coat if you use aggressive compounds or polishes, not if you cleanse your paint of contaminants and seal it using a good natural wax/synthetic sealant/coating.

Summing up - you can get the car coated, have ppf film on the roof and the hood, fire the washing guy, do ONR washes on weekends, and C845 on month ends.

More about coatings here: http://www.autogeek.net/how-to-apply...t-coating.html

More about ppf here: http://www.autopia.org/forum/topic/1...tion-film-ppf/
blackasta is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2014, 12:32   #8274
BHPian
 
dre@ms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Twin City
Posts: 479
Thanked: 96 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post

You can source it from Bringing Best Impex or can even try Ultimate Detailerz.
I am not able to get this Meguiar's Ultimate Compound anywhere except for eBay. Any other places I can source? Is this available in any of the More MegaStore or Hyper Citys ? Or any shop in Kukatpally, Hyderabad ?
dre@ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2014, 23:14   #8275
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 170
Thanked: 199 Times
Default

This is a bike which is 7 years old and driven daily. Amount of swirls and oxidation on it would have put a BBMP dump truck to a shame.

Just to kill time we tried m205 + a spot polishing pad. SMAT polishes can surprise you with the cut if you are liberal with the product and pressure, especially on a rotary. New thing learnt today "never underestimate a finishing polish".

We did not bother to take any before pics, as we were not really sure about how it would turn out. Few afters.

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-1391449341405.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-1391449385810.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
I am not able to get this Meguiar's Ultimate Compound anywhere except for eBay. Any other places I can source? Is this available in any of the More MegaStore or Hyper Citys ? Or any shop in Kukatpally, Hyderabad ?
Try autofresh.in.

Last edited by linuxmanju : 3rd February 2014 at 23:17.
linuxmanju is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2014, 22:45   #8276
BHPian
 
guyfrmblr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Boston
Posts: 937
Thanked: 1,913 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
You lose clear coat if you use aggressive compounds or polishes, not if you cleanse your paint of contaminants and seal it using a good natural wax/synthetic sealant/coating.
I have minor swirl marks on my car and want to get rid of them. I was planning to use Meguiars Ultimate Compound but also came across Meguiars SwirlX in some website. There are also some small scratches on the bonnet and doors which are visible only if you look at it closely in bright sunlight. These are probably caused by flying debris/sand/twigs. Which of the above product is better for eliminating the minor swirls and scratches?

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 4th February 2014 at 22:48.
guyfrmblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2014, 23:19   #8277
Senior - BHPian
 
shashank.nk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,511
Thanked: 715 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
I have minor swirl marks on my car and want to get rid of them. I was planning to use Meguiars Ultimate Compound but also came across Meguiars SwirlX in some website. There are also some small scratches on the bonnet and doors which are visible only if you look at it closely in bright sunlight. These are probably caused by flying debris/sand/twigs. Which of the above product is better for eliminating the minor swirls and scratches?
Both are for removing swirls. Ultimate compound is the more aggressive of the two. If you're working by hand suggest you get the ultimate compound,if you have a machine ultimate polish or swirl x will be more than enough.

For thorough swirl removal, a machine is recommended.
shashank.nk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2014, 23:20   #8278
Senior - BHPian
 
blackasta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Kolkata, WB
Posts: 2,691
Thanked: 831 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
I have minor swirl marks on my car and want to get rid of them. I was planning to use Meguiars Ultimate Compound but also came across Meguiars SwirlX in some website. There are also some small scratches on the bonnet and doors which are visible only if you look at it closely in bright sunlight. These are probably caused by flying debris/sand/twigs. Which of the above product is better for eliminating the minor swirls and scratches?
There are 2 ways you can get rid of those scratches - if they are very fine, you might be able to use a polish with fillers which shall not 'remove' the scratches per se, but shall fill them up and remove them from being an eyesore.
Or else you have to use a polish with abrasives to actually level the paint surrounding the scratches to make it go away.

If you want to take the 2nd route, the rule is to always start with the least aggressive method.
Start with Swirlx, then to scratchx and finally to UC.

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...l-surprise-you!
blackasta is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2014, 23:42   #8279
BHPian
 
guyfrmblr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Boston
Posts: 937
Thanked: 1,913 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Both are for removing swirls. Ultimate compound is the more aggressive of the two. If you're working by hand suggest you get the ultimate compound,if you have a machine ultimate polish or swirl x will be more than enough.

For thorough swirl removal, a machine is recommended.
I don't have a machine, will be doing it by hand. I had ordered 4 applicator pads which arrived last Friday. I found it very convenient while applying wax to my cousin's car last weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
If you want to take the 2nd route, the rule is to always start with the least aggressive method.
Start with Swirlx, then to scratchx and finally to UC.
I had applied Meguiars Ultimate Polish around a month back which had eliminated most of the swirls. But I don't know how the minor swirls appeared again. I had never washed the car for around 3 weeks after applying the polish and wax but was just removing the loose dust using Jopasu duster. I think this induced the minor swirls. I'll try the SwirlX. The swirls are not visible for a normal eye but is glaringly visible to me when I wash the car in sunlight. If Siwrlx is not able to remove those, I'll try UC as you have suggested.

I had decided to order UC but the confusion started when I saw Swirlx in BringingBest. UC is available only in ebay as of now. I'm not sure how fast the seller can ship it since its mentioned that it has to be imported from Chicago.

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 4th February 2014 at 23:44.
guyfrmblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2014, 23:53   #8280
Senior - BHPian
 
shashank.nk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,511
Thanked: 715 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
I don't have a machine, will be doing it by hand. I had ordered 4 applicator pads which arrived last Friday. I found it very convenient while applying wax to my cousin's car last weekend.
I suggest you try autofresh.in or get in touch with Keystone Enterprises,they should be able to help you out.

Its always recommended to start with the least aggressive compound and progress onto those with higher cut, but when working by hand, IMHO its better to go straight to ultimate compound unless you want to buy all 3 and figure out what works best for you
shashank.nk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Car Detailing and Cleaning - 3M Car Care (Koramangala, Bangalore) nareshtrao Bangalore 25 25th October 2016 15:12
Professional Car Detailing - Sparkle Detailing (Delhi) tsk13 Delhi NCR 11 22nd October 2016 08:34
Windshield Polishing & Detailing: Glass Polish India Ltd (Chembur, Mumbai) Epic Mumbai 3 23rd March 2016 10:25
Car Cleaning & Polishing: Thejas Autospa (Phoenix Mall, Chennai) razorBlades Chennai 3 24th August 2015 11:05
Cleaning, Polishing, Painting, etc - Carz Spa (Mangalore, KA) james Other Cities 6 20th December 2013 10:21


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 16:51.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks