Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2014, 10:43   #8506
BHPian
 
avingodb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Delhi/Mumbai
Posts: 433
Thanked: 356 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

This one looks interesting!
avingodb is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2014, 10:49   #8507
BHPian
 
swarnava.m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mumbai/Margao
Posts: 631
Thanked: 253 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zubin21 View Post
Hello all, reading throughout the posts actually makes me dizzy in terms of detail and depth of knowledge shared so please bear with me for a basic question. My routine of cleaning currently is dusting with Jopasu, WW with ProKlear (I find it really good for my purpose), i have some good MF with me for basic clean. Now assuming i want to do everything by hand application, what polish and Wax is recommended? I have someone coming over from US next month so thinking of something like Ultimate Polish/Collinite 845 to be brought over. Is that a reasonable buy or there is something else that i should get?

Also how much more of an advantage would be ONR/UWW over ProKlear?
For beginner purpose, you can get Meg's UP and C845 to start with. If you want to do some correction by hand, look at Meg's ScratchX or Ultimate Compound. Also you will need a hand applicator pad that has a decent cut. Lake country pad's can be good, or you can get one of those double sided pads that have polishing pad on one side and finishing pad on the other. I think Wolfgang makes that.

As for ProKlear vs ONR/UWW, I think they all perform almost the same if your car is not too dusty and you use the washes frequently. In such a scenario, ProKlear makes way more sense due to its multiple fold VFM nature compared to ONR/UWW. If I was in your place, I would stick with ProKlear.
swarnava.m is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2014, 14:23   #8508
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Thane
Posts: 64
Thanked: 26 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post
For beginner purpose, you can get Meg's UP and C845 to start with. If you want to do some correction by hand, look at Meg's ScratchX or Ultimate Compound. Also you will need a hand applicator pad that has a decent cut. Lake country pad's can be good, or you can get one of those double sided pads that have polishing pad on one side and finishing pad on the other. I think Wolfgang makes that.

As for ProKlear vs ONR/UWW, I think they all perform almost the same if your car is not too dusty and you use the washes frequently. In such a scenario, ProKlear makes way more sense due to its multiple fold VFM nature compared to ONR/UWW. If I was in your place, I would stick with ProKlear.
Thanks for the advice, even i thought the same for ProKlear as its pretty VFM for the work it does. And for the swirl and not-so-deep scratch correction, would ScratchX or UC with the mentioned pad would help remove the swirls effectively?
And also if the car is washed by normal cloth (as the guy who cleans in the morning uses the yellow cloth), which wax would hold longer? as i dont want to apply every other month (especially if its by hand)!
Zubin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2014, 20:57   #8509
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 180
Thanked: 138 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by avingodb View Post
This one looks interesting!
Interesting. Indeed. I guess the trick will be with the paint and some sort of coating. But in Indian conditions and unless one cleans the car yourself - it may require 'coating' at regular intervals


--
Nayak // Sent from my iPad using Team-BHP

Mod Note : Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post and avoid quoting images / videos in your reply.

Quoting a full, long post with images / videos inconveniences our mobile readers. Thanks!

Last edited by Aditya : 29th April 2014 at 13:36.
Traveller Nayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2014, 21:36   #8510
BHPian
 
guyfrmblr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Boston
Posts: 939
Thanked: 1,918 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zubin21 View Post
And for the swirl and not-so-deep scratch correction, would ScratchX or UC with the mentioned pad would help remove the swirls effectively?
UC will definitely help you to correct small scratches. A biker had gifted a scratch on my car's right door. It almost vanished after two rounds of UC application. It also helps in minimizing the swirls. Don't expect it to remove all the swirls, but you'll be pleased with the results. I use Meg's hand applicator to apply UC and it becomes tiring after using it for sometime. You can try the Wolfgang one which swarnava.m has suggested. Even keystone had recommended it when I had complained about the Meg's applicator. I can't comment on ScratchX since I haven't used it. I recommend you to go with UC. When I had asked the same question to experts few pages back, they recommended UC instead of ScratchX.

Quote:
And also if the car is washed by normal cloth (as the guy who cleans in the morning uses the yellow cloth), which wax would hold longer? as i dont want to apply every other month (especially if its by hand)!
C485 has very good durability. Meanwhile you request your cleaning guy to handle with care once you perform the detailing, else your hard work would go waste in a single wash. I had a bitter experience with Hyundai service center who managed to spoil my detailing work in flat 5 minutes

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 26th April 2014 at 21:38.
guyfrmblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2014, 09:56   #8511
BHPian
 
guyfrmblr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Boston
Posts: 939
Thanked: 1,918 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Did a quick detailing this morning.

It took just 1 hour 15 minutes and around 20 litres of water to complete wash and wax with these two products:
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-100_6157.jpg

Outcome:
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-100_6149.jpg


A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-100_6150.jpg

While the wash and wax took 1.25 hours, it took 2 hours for tire detailing . The tires were first thoroughly cleaned with Scholls APC and dried.

The product used:
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-100_6156.jpg

I used this brush for scrubbing while cleaning tires. I found it in Hypercity and thought it would be good for cleaning tires. It indeed performed its job well:
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-100_6134.jpg


A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-100_6148.jpg


A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-100_6155.jpg

I'll be applying one more coat of UTTG this evening. The UTTG has good durability. My running is minimum 600 km per week and UTTG almost lasted for around 3 weeks when I applied last month. Whereas the Meg's tire foam used to last only a week in my case.

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 27th April 2014 at 09:57.
guyfrmblr is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2014, 10:49   #8512
BHPian
 
d_himan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 681
Thanked: 484 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Folks, I just made your sunday!

For anyone wanting to try out Scholls/UWW/Four Star UPP, here's the best deal I've seen so far.

Go to Ebay.in, type in Four Star in the search button. Browse the listing, see other items from seller (utlimatedetailerz)....apply EBAYMONEY1 or LSNETCOR25 and get 25% off. My wallet just got substantially lightened!

Please note, I have no commercial interest/link. It's just a great deal!
d_himan is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2014, 16:45   #8513
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: India
Posts: 546
Thanked: 575 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
Folks, I just made your sunday!

For anyone wanting to try out Scholls/UWW/Four Star UPP, here's the best deal I've seen so far.

Go to Ebay.in, type in Four Star in the search button. Browse the listing, see other items from seller (utlimatedetailerz)....apply EBAYMONEY1 or LSNETCOR25 and get 25% off. My wallet just got substantially lightened!

Please note, I have no commercial interest/link. It's just a great deal!
Thanks a lot for sharing this, I just grabbed a few Scholl products at amazing prices. How did you find this code, if I may ask? Does eBay provide these codes on a frequent basis?
Pedaltothefloor is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2014, 19:22   #8514
BHPian
 
d_himan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 681
Thanked: 484 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
Thanks a lot for sharing this, I just grabbed a few Scholl products at amazing prices. How did you find this code, if I may ask? Does eBay provide these codes on a frequent basis?
Deals like 25% are a bit rare - maybe once a quarter max for a few days only - usually last a couple of days until the message "redemptions exceeded" appears. I got a mail from Ebay.in! Enjoy your Scholls experience - at less than UK local costs!
d_himan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2014, 00:09   #8515
Team-BHP Support
 
Gannu_1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Madras
Posts: 4,669
Thanked: 9,059 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
Go to Ebay.in, type in Four Star in the search button. Browse the listing, see other items from seller (utlimatedetailerz)....apply EBAYMONEY1 or LSNETCOR25 and get 25% off. My wallet just got substantially lightened!
Sweet deal man! Thank you so much!

Bought a CarPro PERL 500ml for Rs. 861 inc. of shipping charges. Shall ask UDz/Mohsin to list the Sonus AIO cleaner as well.
Gannu_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2014, 20:36   #8516
Senior - BHPian
 
shashank.nk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,513
Thanked: 717 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Just though of adding to what d_himan has posted, the coupon codes work with other sellers too! Its either 25% or Rs. 2000,whichever is lesser so the max we can get is 2k off on what we've ordered. It still is a great deal,so order whatever you've been holding up until now!

I got TRIX,C2V3 and CQuartz.

Attaching a screenshot to see how it works:
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-6775.png  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-10145.png  


Last edited by shashank.nk : 28th April 2014 at 20:50. Reason: adding clear attachments
shashank.nk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2014, 21:25   #8517
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sydney, AU
Posts: 831
Thanked: 562 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Today came across this news on Zigwheels, Resqtech, a Canadian based company has launched portable car washers in India. Have someone already used these products here?

Resqtech, a Canada based company which has been offering solutions to the fire fighting industry across the world, and is also the world’s largest manufacturer of portable car washers, has now launched its range of car washers in India. The company is currently focusing on the 8-litre Manual Pump Washer and the Yellow Submersible 12V DC Washer. Both these products can be ordered online at www.resqtech.in with the company offering free shipping and ‘cash of delivery’ services.

Looks like interesting product range.
MaxTorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2014, 17:23   #8518
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Banglr, Coimbtr
Posts: 335
Thanked: 119 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTorque View Post
Today came across this news on Zigwheels, Resqtech, a Canadian based company has launched portable car washers in India. Have someone already used these products here?



Resqtech, a Canada based company which has been offering solutions to the fire fighting industry across the world, and is also the world’s largest manufacturer of portable car washers, has now launched its range of car washers in India. The company is currently focusing on the 8-litre Manual Pump Washer and the Yellow Submersible 12V DC Washer. Both these products can be ordered online at www.resqtech.in with the company offering free shipping and ‘cash of delivery’ services.



Looks like interesting product range.

This indeed looks v good. While some models of Karcher and Bosche too take water from storages like bucket, they need a
power source. This one with the manual models and built-in storages may be good where the vehicle is not too roughed up
with stubborn dirt/mud. The lighter powered one may be the one which catches the imagination of apartment dwellers like me.
Certainly will look closely as I was contemplating some upgrade from a 1.5litre hand pump sprayers I suppose any of these will be a quantum jump from there, cheers
Waxeloquent is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2014, 18:17   #8519
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,558
Thanked: 6,618 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

The compressor on my Bosch seems to have failed. Will take it to the local Bosch service centre and see what they say.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2014, 18:24   #8520
BHPian
 
bigben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 269
Thanked: 125 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
Did a quick detailing this morning.

It took just 1 hour 15 minutes and around 20 litres of water to complete wash and wax with these two products:
Pardon my ignorance but I was under the impression that a waterless wash did not use any water?
Or was the water used only for your tyres?
How effective is the waterless wash and is it worth buying?
bigben is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Car Detailing and Cleaning - 3M Car Care (Koramangala, Bangalore) nareshtrao Bangalore 25 25th October 2016 15:12
Professional Car Detailing - Sparkle Detailing (Delhi) tsk13 Delhi NCR 11 22nd October 2016 08:34
Windshield Polishing & Detailing: Glass Polish India Ltd (Chembur, Mumbai) Epic Mumbai 3 23rd March 2016 10:25
Car Cleaning & Polishing: Thejas Autospa (Phoenix Mall, Chennai) razorBlades Chennai 3 24th August 2015 11:05
Cleaning, Polishing, Painting, etc - Carz Spa (Mangalore, KA) james Other Cities 6 20th December 2013 10:21


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 14:35.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks