Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2014, 18:42   #8521
BHPian
 
guyfrmblr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Boston
Posts: 936
Thanked: 1,903 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post

Pardon my ignorance but I was under the impression that a waterless wash did not use any water?
Or was the water used only for your tyres?
How effective is the waterless wash and is it worth buying?
I actually did a rinseless wash not a waterless wash since there was quite amount of dust and marks on my car. 30 ml of UWW concentrate was mixed with 11 litres of water and used it for a rinseless wash. Another half bucket of water was used to clean the MF cloth after each wipe.

I find it worth since it saves lot of water and time. It also leaves a slick finish and adds a small amount of shine. I haven't tried a waterless wash yet.

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 29th April 2014 at 18:46.
guyfrmblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2014, 03:46   #8522
BHPian
 
swarnava.m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mumbai/Margao
Posts: 631
Thanked: 253 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
I actually did a rinseless wash not a waterless wash since there was quite amount of dust and marks on my car. 30 ml of UWW concentrate was mixed with 11 litres of water and used it for a rinseless wash. Another half bucket of water was used to clean the MF cloth after each wipe.

I find it worth since it saves lot of water and time. It also leaves a slick finish and adds a small amount of shine. I haven't tried a waterless wash yet.
You can use ProKlear for waterless as well. I do, and it does a decent job
swarnava.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2014, 06:18   #8523
Senior - BHPian
 
kutlee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,125
Thanked: 192 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

although resqtech is innovative, it cannot actually kick dirt off (atleast our conditions). It produces a misty spray. Initially i had thought of buying one but backed off since it will not kick off any dirt. Good to see resqtech launching sales in India. Most of 12 volt systems (vacuum cleaner, polisher etc) will not have enough juice to do any good work.
kutlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2014, 09:57   #8524
Team-BHP Support
 
Gannu_1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Madras
Posts: 4,473
Thanked: 8,532 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Looks like I will have to switch to the two-bucket method! I used to rinse/wash the car using a hose (once a week during weekends) until last week when the apartment in-charge noticed me doing so. He asked me to stop using the hose for cleaning the car as it wastes a lot of water. I do not deny that; it does waste some water but it is more convenient than buckets.

Here is what I infer about the two-bucket method. Please correct me if I am wrong.

- Dust the car using a duster and rinse the car using the top-down approach.

- Use one bucket of water mixed with the car shampoo (I use Amway’s car wash) for dipping the wash mitt.

- Use the other bucket of clean water for rinsing/cleaning the wash mitt before dipping the mitt into the soapy-water bucket.

- Repeat the process until the entire car is washed and rinse the car using clean water.

I shall be receiving a bottle of Sonus AIO and CarPro PERL by the weekend from Mohsin, UDz. Looking forward to clean the innards of the car.
Gannu_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2014, 11:45   #8525
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: MH-14
Posts: 826
Thanked: 556 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Can anyone throw some light on masking process during detailing. Which are all the parts we need to mask? If I am doing hand polish, still we need to mask the parts?
MaxTorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2014, 11:54   #8526
Senior - BHPian
 
shashank.nk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,506
Thanked: 710 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Looks like I will have to switch to the two-bucket method! I used to rinse/wash the car using a hose (once a week during weekends) until last week when the apartment in-charge noticed me doing so. He asked me to stop using the hose for cleaning the car as it wastes a lot of water. I do not deny that; it does waste some water but it is more convenient than buckets.

- Use the other bucket of clean water for rinsing/cleaning the wash mitt before dipping the mitt into the soapy-water bucket.

- Repeat the process until the entire car is washed and rinse the car using clean water.

I shall be receiving a bottle of Sonus AIO and CarPro PERL by the weekend from Mohsin, UDz. Looking forward to clean the innards of the car.
If the car is very dirty,like after rains I suggest you fill only half a bucket of water to rinse and replace it frequently. Say after 2 huge panels like roof and bonnet (relatively less dust) or after every vertical panel (door,front fender) since they tend to become more dirty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTorque View Post
Can anyone throw some light on masking process during detailing. Which are all the parts we need to mask? If I am doing hand polish, still we need to mask the parts?
Its better to keep it masked to prevent whitening of plastics. Cover all plastic trim,holograms and anything other than a painted part to be on the safer side.

Thought this is for machine polishing,it'll give you a good idea.


Last edited by shashank.nk : 1st May 2014 at 11:56.
shashank.nk is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2014, 19:19   #8527
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: HYDERABAD
Posts: 5
Thanked: 10 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxeloquent View Post
This indeed looks v good. While some models of Karcher and Bosche too take water from storages like bucket, they need a
power source. This one with the manual models and built-in storages may be good where the vehicle is not too roughed up
with stubborn dirt/mud. The lighter powered one may be the one which catches the imagination of apartment dwellers like me.
Certainly will look closely as I was contemplating some upgrade from a 1.5litre hand pump sprayers I suppose any of these will be a quantum jump from there, cheers
Hi Guys. I was happy to see ResQtech advertising their product. I bought the 25 Litre 12v DC product two weeks back and loving it everytime I use it. My vehicles are clean in minutes now. Oh and not to mention, this is so economical on water use. Check out my blog with a video on this : khajas.blogspot.com
khajster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2014, 09:44   #8528
BHPian
 
Happysmiles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: pune
Posts: 64
Thanked: 61 Times
Thumbs up Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTorque View Post
Today came across this news on Zigwheels, Resqtech, a Canadian based company has launched portable car washers in India. Have someone already used these products here?

Resqtech, a Canada based company which has been offering solutions to the fire fighting industry across the world, and is also the world’s largest manufacturer of portable car washers, has now launched its range of car washers in India. The company is currently focusing on the 8-litre Manual Pump Washer and the Yellow Submersible 12V DC Washer. Both these products can be ordered online at www.resqtech.in with the company offering free shipping and ‘cash of delivery’ services.

Looks like interesting product range.
Very interesting product IMO. Got the 8 liter manual pump washer a month ago and its perfect for my needs.

Pros-
1. Easy to carry water without spilling. I stay on the the 3rd floor, 2 cars are parked on the stilt floor where there is no water connection, so carrying water in a bucket from 3rd floor or ground floor was cumbersome for me and my car washing man.
2. No need for electricity. Spray and wipe with soft brush, then clean with microfiber cloth.
3. Saves water. I can wash one sedan and two hatchbacks in 8 liters .
4. Manual pumping (mild execise)for pressure buildup into the can releases a fine mist+spray of water, which is good for daily light cleaning.
5. Overall quality seems to be sturdy.
6. DIY, and easy to use when washing man is on holiday.

Cons-
1. Spray cannot remove heavy dirt (not enough pressure like other cleaning systems), though I heard the battery operated model has more power.
2. Wish they had given a bigger microfiber cloth with this model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxeloquent View Post
This indeed looks v good. While some models of Karcher and Bosche too take water from storages like bucket, they need a
power source. This one with the manual models and built-in storages may be good where the vehicle is not too roughed up
with stubborn dirt/mud. The lighter powered one may be the one which catches the imagination of apartment dwellers like me.
Certainly will look closely as I was contemplating some upgrade from a 1.5litre hand pump sprayers I suppose any of these will be a quantum jump from there, cheers
Definitely a useful upgrade from the hand held pump sprayers.
VFM for daily maintainence.
Happysmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2014, 18:35   #8529
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: kochi,Qingdao
Posts: 30
Thanked: 20 Times
Thumbs up Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
Folks, I just made your sunday!
Yes you did, Thank you so much
My wallet considerably lighter now.Found the other threads on detailing after seeing your post and now i have a new hobby

Purchased ultima products for all the various steps from washing to protection from ultimate detailerz's ebay shop. Mohsin is really a great guy and gave me valuable advice on the step by step process.

So far i have only done diy electronic stuff, let us see how it goes with diy car detailing
castiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2014, 21:28   #8530
BHPian
 
neel911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 291
Thanked: 202 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by khajster1 View Post
Hi Guys. I was happy to see ResQtech advertising their product. I bought the 25 Litre 12v DC product two weeks back and loving it everytime I use it. My vehicles are clean in minutes now. Oh and not to mention, this is so economical on water use. Check out my blog with a video on this : khajas.blogspot.com
thanks for posting the video on the blog.

Few questions/concerns I have:
- How is it possible to use this if you have only 1 car? You need to plug this into the 12V Car adapter. Now if you do that, you'll need to keep one of the doors open to let the cable come out and if you do so, there is a high risk of water getting inside the cabin no matter how much care you take. I could not find any video/guide clarifying this. If you clsoe the door, wouldn't we risk cutting/damaging the cable over time? If you have 2 cars, as shown in video it should be fine

- Would this affect the car battery? Do you need to keep the engine running when using this?

Last edited by neel911 : 4th May 2014 at 21:31.
neel911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2014, 21:37   #8531
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: HYDERABAD
Posts: 5
Thanked: 10 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel911 View Post
thanks for posting the video on the blog.

Few questions/concerns I have:
- How is it possible to use this if you have only 1 car? You need to plug this into the 12V Car adapter. Now if you do that, you'll need to keep one of the doors open to let the cable come out and if you do so, there is a high risk of water getting inside the cabin no matter how much care you take. I could not find any video/guide clarifying this. If you clsoe the door, wouldn't we risk cutting/damaging the cable over time? If you have 2 cars, as shown in video it should be fine

- Would this affect the car battery? Do you need to keep the engine running when using this?
Hi Neel,

Here the answers:
I have used this several times attaching the power to the same car that I am washing. OK closed the door and no this does not affect the wire in any way. You can however close the door lightly which is good enough to keep the water out. Let me know if you want video in that. I can shoot one and upload.

So far it did not affect my car battery. I clean my car in 15 minutes using this product. But even half hour use should not affect the battery. If are really concerned about the battery, keep the car running only till you spray and shut engine when using the towel.
khajster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2014, 22:27   #8532
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: MH-14
Posts: 826
Thanked: 556 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

After following this thread for the last few months, I attempted detailing on my car. I followed the steps given below.

1. Washed the car with ONR after dusting using Jopasu Duster
2. Used Tar-X for removing Tar and Iron Contamination. It gave a mixed result, even after applying Tar-X, there were visible tar depositions on side panels.
3. Again washed with Sonax Shampoo
4. Clayed using a locally sourced clay, used ONR as lubricant. It took out lots of impurities, but still I could see many tar spots.
5. Polished using Meguiars Ultimate Polish
6. Applied Meguiars Yellow Wax and buffed using a Meguiars micro fiber towel.

It took almost four hours to complete the whole task. But even after doing polishing the car, I could see some etching marks on the roof. I checked pouring water on the waxed car, it was repelling water. Here is the outcome of the exercise.

Now need help from experts for procedure to remove tar spots and those etching marks completely.

Overall very happy with the outcome. A special thanks to Parthasarathig and HighOctane for guiding me to choose the products and helped me with the procedure.
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-unnamed.jpg  

MaxTorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2014, 00:51   #8533
Senior - BHPian
 
shashank.nk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,506
Thanked: 710 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTorque View Post
After following this thread for the last few months, I attempted detailing on my car. I followed the steps given below.

Now need help from experts for procedure to remove tar spots and those etching marks completely.
I had to remove tar spots on my car which was over a year old. This is what I followed:

Apply tar x liberally. Its preferable to have a dry surface prior to spraying tar x.
Let it dwell for a few mins,agitate with a detailing brush or extra sensitive/ soft toothbrush. This should start the process if dissolving tar. Be careful to not apply too much pressure while agitating else you'll mar the finish. Be gentle with the brush in paint.
Spray tar x again and continue to agitate.
Tar spot would be gone after 3 or 4 tries. They went away in my case.

Etchings are tricky, if its too deep you may have to machine polish.

Last edited by shashank.nk : 5th May 2014 at 00:53.
shashank.nk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2014, 20:49   #8534
BHPian
 
Amarendranath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 500
Thanked: 402 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
Are you rinsing properly after applying shampoo? I guess you are referring to the streak left behind by the shampoo water.
Hi guyfrmblr,

I somehow missed your post, The first time i didnt rinse each part after applying the dhampoo. I rinsed the entire car after scrubbing with a mitt and then rinsed the car, This must have been the reason for the streaks. I guess i overcame that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
I recently switched from chamois to water magnet and couldn't find any major advantage with the latter. Both are equally good.
I recently placed an order for the water magnet, shall update which one i find better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
The cost of water magnet has increased now and its not worth for that amount IMO. I'm also observing that the effect of water magnet has reduced a bit after 2 months of usage whereas the chamois served me well for over 2 years. This is just my observation.
Can you please let me know more on how to use a chamois, I have gone through multiple videos on youtube but my personal experience was otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
While pulling the chamois, make sure that there is no resistance.
I was under the imprression that resistance is what will dry the metal. I squeeze out the excess water from chamois and then wipe this car. Even after damping the chamois with water i still feel the resistance?
Amarendranath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2014, 22:10   #8535
BHPian
 
guyfrmblr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Boston
Posts: 936
Thanked: 1,903 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarendranath View Post
Can you please let me know more on how to use a chamois, I have gone through multiple videos on youtube but my personal experience was otherwise.
I usually just let the chamois absorb the excess water and then wipe very gently to remove the remaining water.

Quote:
I was under the imprression that resistance is what will dry the metal. I squeeze out the excess water from chamois and then wipe this car. Even after damping the chamois with water i still feel the resistance?
Yes, certain amount of resistance will be present but pulling it hard may induce very minute scratches.
guyfrmblr is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Car Detailing and Cleaning - 3M Car Care (Koramangala, Bangalore) nareshtrao Bangalore 25 25th October 2016 15:12
Professional Car Detailing - Sparkle Detailing (Delhi) tsk13 Delhi NCR 11 22nd October 2016 08:34
Windshield Polishing & Detailing: Glass Polish India Ltd (Chembur, Mumbai) Epic Mumbai 3 23rd March 2016 10:25
Car Cleaning & Polishing: Thejas Autospa (Phoenix Mall, Chennai) razorBlades Chennai 3 24th August 2015 11:05
Cleaning, Polishing, Painting, etc - Carz Spa (Mangalore, KA) james Other Cities 6 20th December 2013 10:21


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:38.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks