Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2015, 15:02   #9046
BHPian
 
RiGOD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 147
Thanked: 90 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Finally, got bit by the detailing bug!

With an aim to make my 7 months old Ford Classic (Diamond White) shine, purchased a can of Formula 1 wax from the nearby car accessories shop (god knows if its fake or not). As the ride was covered with tar I had to use a generous amount of diesel to get rid off it, followed by a thorough wash with Amway car wash, drying and then applying a single coat of F1. The surface is now extremely clean but the shine is nowhere near to the 'wet look' I had in mind. Also F1 left a dusty/oily residue on the surface whereas I prefer a slick one. And yeah, I'm damn sure that the shine won't even last for two weeks. The following are the stuff that I have right now in my detailing arsenal :

i. Amway car wash
ii. 8 MF towels + 1 wash mitt
iii. Proklear RAW Xtreme WWC
iv. Proklear windshield wash concentrate
v. STP Son of a Gun
vi. Formula 1 wax (which I don't intend to use again)

So here comes the query part,

i. I really need to get that wet look on my car along with decent durability (5 months atleast) with a VFM product. Considering that I have a white car, what product should I go for? And yeah, topping one stuff with other is not really my thing, so a single good product satisfying the above requirements would be appreciated.

ii. The vehicle badly needs to be clayed and hence buying elastrofoam too. Planning to buy Elastrofoam and OCW for the time being. Will it suffice my needs?

iii. Or should I go for costlier sealants like Collinite 845, Optseal or UPGP? Can these stuff provide decent durability if applied as a single product i.e without topping up with wax?

iv. Can I use IPA to strip off the existing coat of F1 before applying the new product?
RiGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2015, 15:24   #9047
BHPian
 
MunnabhaiMBBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Pune
Posts: 273
Thanked: 556 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiGOD View Post
Finally, got bit by the detailing bug!
Hi RiGOD,

As you haven't posted the picture of your car, Would suggest you to first visit a detailing center to sort out the anomalies if any. It may include a thorough wash, claying, waxing, application of sealant etc. This will help you get back the glossy look to a good extent.

Then comes the weekly maintenance part. Wash you car with Proklear solution once a week. Other days, just get the dirt off by using the Jopasu duster.

Regards,
Ketan
MunnabhaiMBBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2015, 15:49   #9048
BHPian
 
RiGOD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 147
Thanked: 90 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunnabhaiMBBS View Post
As you haven't posted the picture of your car, Would suggest you to first visit a detailing center to sort out the anomalies if any. It may include a thorough wash, claying, waxing, application of sealant etc. This will help you get back the glossy look to a good extent. Then comes the weekly maintenance part. Wash you car with Proklear solution once a week. Other days, just get the dirt off by using the Jopasu duster.
Thanks for the quick response but I'm not planning to take her to any detailing center, simply because its not VFM as DIY and I prefer taking care of her on my own

@Fellow BHPians : Could I get some some genuine suggestions on my above queries guys?
RiGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2015, 19:44   #9049
Senior - BHPian
 
goandude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 1,312
Thanked: 420 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

My Dzire has developed spots on the lower part of the rear door and the running board. They are absolutely flush with the paint i.e. when running my finger over it, I cannot feel it. Tried car shampoo no joy, kerosene again no effect whatsoever. Anything short of rubbing compound? Or would clay do the trick? A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20150102_144451.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20150102_144511.jpg
goandude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2015, 20:30   #9050
Senior - BHPian
 
SunnyBoi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mysore / B'lore
Posts: 1,337
Thanked: 1,571 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
My Dzire has developed spots on the lower part of the rear door and the running board. They are absolutely flush with the paint i.e. when running my finger over it, I cannot feel it. Tried car shampoo no joy, kerosene again no effect whatsoever. Anything short of rubbing compound? Or would clay do the trick? Attachment 1323602

Attachment 1323603
Clay should work on these spots. Since they are not shifting with kerosene, maybe you'll need some aggressive clay to clear them.
SunnyBoi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2015, 21:13   #9051
BHPian
 
richie4u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Goa
Posts: 586
Thanked: 180 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

My car had a small touch-no-go kind of situation with a school van earlier today, There are no scratches of any kind just a small thin line of yellow paint which is gone after I was done with rubbing compound. But there's a faint streak of a yellow line on the panel which almost looks like its embedded with the paint. Its not a scratch at all but feels like a part of the paint now, so How do I go about removing it?
richie4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2015, 16:12   #9052
Senior - BHPian
 
goandude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 1,312
Thanked: 420 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Clay should work on these spots. Since they are not shifting with kerosene, maybe you'll need some aggressive clay to clear them.
No joy with the clay (Mothers). It just glides over the stains. Any more suggestions?
goandude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2015, 19:36   #9053
Senior - BHPian
 
SunnyBoi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mysore / B'lore
Posts: 1,337
Thanked: 1,571 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
No joy with the clay (Mothers). It just glides over the stains. Any more suggestions?
I use Meguiar's Aggressive Clay. However that will be an overkill for your problem since it costs around Rs 26xx. Not sure about any other brands though.

If you can't feel it with your fingertips, I'm 95% sure even rubbing compound will not be able to remove them. you'll only end up thinning the paint around those areas.
SunnyBoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2015, 20:22   #9054
Senior - BHPian
 
V-16's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: mumbai
Posts: 4,567
Thanked: 820 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Guys just discovered a Detailing guy at Cadel road. i was just passing by and saw this fellow pressure washing a car. I was in my Fortuner which was quoted at 8k by anbother detailer whom i usually go to. This guy said sir ill do it for under 4k. which includes washing under body included, interior washing and cleaning, boot,engine bay and machine waxing....i think its a very very decent price. Im gonna give him my City to see what he does out of it and then will decide on my other cars. Anyone know of this guy? Gto u aware of this guy? hes one signal before the Kirti college signal on your RHS as you drive from Shivaji Park to Siddhi Vinayak Temple.
Will post details and pics when i give him my car and ask him for a special rate for TBH-pians so we dont have to bargain!!
V-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2015, 20:34   #9055
Senior - BHPian
 
el lobo 6061's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 1,468
Thanked: 941 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
I was in my Fortuner which was quoted at 8k by anbother detailer whom i usually go to. This guy said sir ill do it for under 4k.
Quality and price, don't go hand in hand. Check first which all products the two of them are using and then do a compare. Just because 8K is expensive doesn't mean he is not good.

Otherwise try 3M, standard rates and products used.
el lobo 6061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2015, 20:42   #9056
Senior - BHPian
 
V-16's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: mumbai
Posts: 4,567
Thanked: 820 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Quality and price, don't go hand in hand. Check first which all products the two of them are using and then do a compare. Just because 8K is expensive doesn't mean he is not good.

Otherwise try 3M, standard rates and products used.
You didnt read my post properly, im not saying the 8k guy is not good, i go to him all the time, which i mentioned and hes more expensive by at least 1k, but his work is superlative. HE gives me 1k off his regular price because ive been going to him and i keep recommending him coz hes one of the best. You go to him if you want to rejuvenate your car that looks haggard. If your car is already good hes not gonna give you a discount so why spend double.

They use similar products. maybe this guy is cheaper because hes yet unknown or very new. I stay around this area and have never seen him before. just because hes cheaper also does not mean he uses bad products.

Id rather take my car to detailers rather than they cone home because at their place, they pressure wash and dry the car which is not possible at ones own place.
V-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2015, 20:59   #9057
BHPian
 
shifu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 328
Thanked: 254 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
This guy said sir ill do it for under 4k. which includes washing under body included, interior washing and cleaning, boot,engine bay and machine waxing....i think its a very very decent price.
I am shocked to see the price. 4K sounds too much for this. 3M, for example, charges Rs 1500 for a service called UV protect. This includes all the services you have mentioned (interior + exterior).

Not sure if there is a difference between the prices in Hyd and Mumbai, but the post here has the prices in Hyd.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/other-...ml#post3586352 (Professional Car Detailing: 3M Car Care (Madhapur, Hyderabad))

Again, I am not sure if I am missing something, but 4k for a car wash + machine waxing sounds exorbitant.
shifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2015, 21:05   #9058
Senior - BHPian
 
V-16's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: mumbai
Posts: 4,567
Thanked: 820 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
I am shocked to see the price. 4K sounds too much for this. 3M, for example, charges Rs 1500 for a service called UV protect. This includes all the services you have mentioned (interior + exterior).

Not sure if there is a difference between the prices in Hyd and Mumbai, but the post here has the prices in Hyd.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/other-...ml#post3586352 (Professional Car Detailing: 3M Car Care (Madhapur, Hyderabad))

Again, I am not sure if I am missing something, but 4k for a car wash + machine waxing sounds exorbitant.

1500/- are you sure?
well usually this is priced at 8-9 k for a large car. The City would be im guessing, around 3k.
the services include cleaning, washing, detailing, interior including boot, engine bay wheels rims etc etc and wax polishing and buffing (shining). they usually keep the car for half a dsy with prior appointment. A fortuner/pajero would cost 8k at least. 3M charges only 2500 for a steam wash and only 1800/- fr an interior cleaning only. so there some problem in your pricing im sure.
V-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2015, 21:28   #9059
BHPian
 
shifu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 328
Thanked: 254 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
the services include cleaning, washing, detailing, interior including boot, engine bay wheels rims etc etc and wax polishing and buffing (shining). they usually keep the car for half a dsy with prior appointment. A fortuner/pajero would cost 8k at least. 3M charges only 2500 for a steam wash and only 1800/- fr an interior cleaning only. so there some problem in your pricing im sure.
Okay. Now you have mentioned 'detailing'. Does this include sanding, rubbing, polishing, and claying. Then 4k sounds like a steal.

The prices are from the manager of the 3M store in Hyd. I am 100% sure about these prices.
shifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2015, 22:07   #9060
Senior - BHPian
 
sagarpadaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,543
Thanked: 1,148 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
You didnt read my post properly, im not saying the 8k guy is not good, i go to him all the time, which i mentioned and hes more expensive by at least 1k, but his work is superlative. HE gives me 1k off his regular price because ive been going to him and i keep recommending him coz hes one of the best. You go to him if you want to rejuvenate your car that looks haggard. If your car is already good hes not gonna give you a discount so why spend double.

They use similar products. maybe this guy is cheaper because hes yet unknown or very new. I stay around this area and have never seen him before. just because hes cheaper also does not mean he uses bad products.

Id rather take my car to detailers rather than they cone home because at their place, they pressure wash and dry the car which is not possible at ones own place.
Check what all steps he does for 4k. A proper detailing should include washing, claying, compounding, polishing and sealant. If he is doing all this for 4k then it's a red flag. Don't expect high quality.
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Windshield Polishing & Detailing: Glass Polish India Ltd (Chembur, Mumbai) Epic Mumbai 3 23rd March 2016 10:25
Mixed experience: Car detailing & cleaning from Carzippi.com rajeshsundaram Modifications & Accessories 0 1st February 2016 23:07
Car Detailing & Interior Cleaning - Auto Shine (Kandivali West, Mumbai) renney.varghese Mumbai 62 19th November 2015 17:18
Car Cleaning & Polishing: Thejas Autospa (Phoenix Mall, Chennai) razorBlades Chennai 3 24th August 2015 11:05
Cleaning, Polishing, Painting, etc - Carz Spa (Mangalore, KA) james Other Cities 6 20th December 2013 10:21


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 03:31.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks