Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2015, 08:58   #9301
BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_jacob View Post
Claying does remove wax and also all particles embedded on the surface of paint. Swirls can truly be removed only by polishing. I would suggest buying a clay bar, some microfiber towels, a small bottle of compound or polish depending on the swirls and bird drop etchings and a foam hand polish pad which you can use to remove swirls. Hence wiping the car with a quick detailer and a microfiber cloth is advised every time you put on the cover.
I now realize my mistake from last time. It's my first attempt at washing the car. Maybe I've put in less shampoo. Moreover I stay in a 6th floor flat and there's no water facility to wash/spray wash the car. I should explore the waterless wash and other similar alternatives.
Old 3rd June 2015, 11:30   #9302
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rav11stars View Post
I now realize my mistake from last time. It's my first attempt at washing the car. Maybe I've put in less shampoo. Moreover I stay in a 6th floor flat and there's no water facility to wash/spray wash the car. I should explore the waterless wash and other similar alternatives.

I too live an apartment complex. I use RESQTECH portable water spray cleaner. I bought a rechargeable 24 litre one so that I can wash my White Duster in one go. Yes, if I want a clean up of wheels, tires, wheel wells I do that separately. The attachments that come with RESQTECH are cool. The pressure is nowhere like the high pressure washers but good enough to clean moderately dirty cars (not post rally ones). Cheers
Waxeloquent is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2015, 08:30   #9303
Senior - BHPian

People who wanted to buy Collinite & couldn't find at any local shops nearby can give a try here - http://www.greenzcarcare.com/collinite
Old 7th June 2015, 10:38   #9304
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxeloquent View Post
I too live an apartment complex. I use RESQTECH portable water spray cleaner. I bought a rechargeable 24 litre one so that I can wash my White Duster in one go. Yes, if I want a clean up of wheels, tires, wheel wells I do that separately. The attachments that come with RESQTECH are cool. The pressure is nowhere like the high pressure washers but good enough to clean moderately dirty cars (not post rally ones). Cheers
@Waxeloquent, I was planning to get one of these. Wondering about the long term reliability. How long have you been using this? And please share your feedback on overall product quality.
Old 8th June 2015, 06:38   #9305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PADAS View Post
@Waxeloquent, I was planning to get one of these. Wondering about the long term reliability. How long have you been using this? And please share your feedback on overall product quality.

I have been using this now one year now. After ten months, I found the sprayer gun was not working as well as in the beginning and they replaced it under warranty. My experience with it has been good. The pressure is good for cleaning the normal drive around dirt gathered including wheels, wheel arches. But heavy rally drive type dirt, mud splash dried over days etc NO; I always will take it a nearby cleaning place. As I do my own limited detailing (dust, wash, clay, little bit of polishing and waxing) I find this a great help. The attachments which come with are good and so are the tire and wheel cleaning brushes which I bought when I got warranty replacement for spray gun.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Waxeloquent is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2015, 08:36   #9306
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxeloquent View Post
I have been using this now one year now. After ten months, I found the sprayer gun was not working as well as in the beginning and they replaced it under warranty. My experience with it has been good. The pressure is good for cleaning the normal drive around dirt gathered including wheels, wheel arches. But heavy rally drive type dirt, mud splash dried over days etc NO; I always will take it a nearby cleaning place. As I do my own limited detailing (dust, wash, clay, little bit of polishing and waxing) I find this a great help. The attachments which come with are good and so are the tire and wheel cleaning brushes which I bought when I got warranty replacement for spray gun.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Thanks a lot Waxeloquent. Decided to go for one and I have placed an order online for 28 Litre Rechargeable Battery/12V DC Bucket Washer. Will be using this for my regular weekend wash.
One more question on the in-built battery. How long does that last ?
Old 8th June 2015, 08:59   #9307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PADAS View Post
Thanks a lot Waxeloquent. Decided to go for one and I have placed an order online for 28 Litre Rechargeable Battery/12V DC Bucket Washer. Will be using this for my regular weekend wash.

One more question on the in-built battery. How long does that last ?

Good for 2 washes of my Duster. Have not pushed it beyond that yet.

Cheers
Waxeloquent is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2015, 16:11   #9308
BHPian

I have to repaint a few panels of my Black baleno. Got a quote from 2 reputed painters. One is quoting 19 and uses Glasurit. The other is quoting 16.4k and using Standox.
Now, is Glasurit really worth the extra money? Looking for your valuable suggestions.

Cheers!
Old 13th June 2015, 12:10   #9309
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Any tips on a good polish to get rid of water marks, dirt buildup and minor rust spots on the chromed plastic and metal parts around the grill, logos and fog lamps ?

PS MODS : Please sticky this thread ! It deserves to be at the top of the page.
I've seen someone using WD40 to get rid of the rust. It apparently just dissolves the rust and you can wipe it off. However, you might want this to be backed up by someone more experienced on the forum.
If you want to take my word for it, try it on an inconspicuous spot first and see if it fades the paint or harms it in anyway.
Old 14th June 2015, 02:23   #9310
BHPian

Re: Simplified: The Idiot's Guide to keeping your car clean & shiny

Hello everyone,

Probably an OT. I did search around however could not find a thread matching the item I was seeking. I was referring to the Paint Stripper which is applied over painted metal parts to strip the said part to bare metal. This is available abroad under the brands Nitromors/Aircraft stripper however I'm unable to find this in Delhi. I prowled around the local market however all I'm getting is the paint thinner, acetone, turpentine. I know for sure that the aforementioned products do not strip the paint off of the painted surfaces(fuel tank, chassis, engine casings)

Whenever Nitromors/Aircraft stripper is applied, the paint starts to bubble and peel off. I even tried explaining the procedure and showed couple of youtube videos to the Shopkeepers. Perhaps I did not put my point across clearly.

Maybe there is a street name/local lingo. Please help. Thank you
Old 15th June 2015, 11:15   #9311
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
I have to repaint a few panels of my Black baleno. Got a quote from 2 reputed painters. One is quoting 19 and uses Glasurit. The other is quoting 16.4k and using Standox.
Now, is Glasurit really worth the extra money? Looking for your valuable suggestions.

Cheers!
Standox is good as well. Other than paint brand, what is important is the process and expertise of the bodyshop. It all depends on how finicky is the painter- You may get a bad finish is top quality paint.

Last edited by KkVaidya : 15th June 2015 at 11:17.
KkVaidya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2015, 18:36   #9312
BHPian

So, after those heady days last year of posting EBAY 20% & 25% discounts, found a great deal!

http://store.ultimatedetailerz.com/

Coupon Code of ULTIMATE20 for 20% off...

Four Star UPP, Car Pro, Collinite 845 - some fantastic deals on quality stuff! Can trust them as well - very reputed in the B'lore detailing circle.

Please note: I'm in no way affliated to them!
d_himan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2015, 21:46   #9313
BHPian

Does anyone on tbhp use the Resqtech 8 litre manual washer ? I am planning to get it very soon but want to be sure about it. I know it throws a misty spray but i guess it will be better than using multiple bottles of water as live on the 4th floor and carrying water all the time is a time consuming and a very tiring job.
Old 24th June 2015, 14:33   #9314
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
Cheers mate. Just FYI, there's a HUGE difference between sealants and polishes. Make sure you read up on them. Polishes are abrasive to scrape off layers of your clearcoat while sealants seal the clearcoat with an added layer of long term protection. Also, do remember, if you intend on waxing your car, do that over the sealant. Seal first, wax later. They're both an added layer of protection for your car, not for shine. Yes, Wax too doesn't impart much shine unless the surface is already extremely scratched, in which case it may appear to be giving a slight shine. That's because it fills up some of the shallower scratches causing light hitting the surface to refract lesser.

In any case, protecting your paint is always a great idea. It really does do wonders in keeping the "new car look".
Just to add some more insights into some of the points
1. NOT all polishes scrape off a layer. And even those that do, with the expert hands and right approach a tiny bit is only taken off. Ex: A mid size sedan has about 40-50 microns( Ex taken a verna) of clearcoat and even if we need to do really the most aggressive method it will only lead to 2-3 microns off, unless one is stupid, using cheap and old school methods.
There are paint cleaners, pure polishes, all in ones which do NOT scrape off the clear coat at all and even applying them with a machine every 3-4 months is safe
2. You are 100% right about sealants and waxes being different but that said- there are hardly ANY pure waxes in the market. Pure ones cost a bomb.
Applying layer on top of another one has to keep 2 things in mind:
Curing time- allowing enough time for one layer to "set"
Chemical synergy- there is no gain by putting two different types on top of each other.
Finally wax is usually preferred for that deep and rich look and shine that no sealant can give
mkh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2015, 09:10   #9315
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
the most aggressive method it will only lead to 2-3 microns off
1. With 2-3 microns going off in every polish in a 40 micron clear coat layer, the entire clear coat will disappear in 10-12 applications?

2. And the blockers in the clear coat will deplete in 4 applications?

3. Did you use an ETG to arrive at the figure?

Quote:
There are paint cleaners, pure polishes, all in ones which do NOT scrape off the clear coat at all
How do they clean the traffic film ?

Quote:
You are 100% right about sealants and waxes being different
If so, why does megulars refer to their sealant as wax?

Last edited by VeyronSuperSprt : 25th June 2015 at 09:29.

Most Viewed