Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2015, 14:33   #9316
mkh
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,070
Thanked: 102 Times
Default Re: Simplified: The Idiot's Guide to keeping your car clean & shiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
Cheers mate. Just FYI, there's a HUGE difference between sealants and polishes. Make sure you read up on them. Polishes are abrasive to scrape off layers of your clearcoat while sealants seal the clearcoat with an added layer of long term protection. Also, do remember, if you intend on waxing your car, do that over the sealant. Seal first, wax later. They're both an added layer of protection for your car, not for shine. Yes, Wax too doesn't impart much shine unless the surface is already extremely scratched, in which case it may appear to be giving a slight shine. That's because it fills up some of the shallower scratches causing light hitting the surface to refract lesser.

In any case, protecting your paint is always a great idea. It really does do wonders in keeping the "new car look".
Just to add some more insights into some of the points
1. NOT all polishes scrape off a layer. And even those that do, with the expert hands and right approach a tiny bit is only taken off. Ex: A mid size sedan has about 40-50 microns( Ex taken a verna) of clearcoat and even if we need to do really the most aggressive method it will only lead to 2-3 microns off, unless one is stupid, using cheap and old school methods.
There are paint cleaners, pure polishes, all in ones which do NOT scrape off the clear coat at all and even applying them with a machine every 3-4 months is safe
2. You are 100% right about sealants and waxes being different but that said- there are hardly ANY pure waxes in the market. Pure ones cost a bomb.
Applying layer on top of another one has to keep 2 things in mind:
Curing time- allowing enough time for one layer to "set"
Chemical synergy- there is no gain by putting two different types on top of each other.
Finally wax is usually preferred for that deep and rich look and shine that no sealant can give
mkh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2015, 09:10   #9317
BHPian
 
VeyronSuperSprt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 813
Thanked: 1,595 Times
Default Re: Simplified: The Idiot's Guide to keeping your car clean & shiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
the most aggressive method it will only lead to 2-3 microns off
1. With 2-3 microns going off in every polish in a 40 micron clear coat layer, the entire clear coat will disappear in 10-12 applications?

2. And the blockers in the clear coat will deplete in 4 applications?

3. Did you use an ETG to arrive at the figure?


Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
There are paint cleaners, pure polishes, all in ones which do NOT scrape off the clear coat at all
How do they clean the traffic film ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
You are 100% right about sealants and waxes being different
If so, why does megulars refer to their sealant as wax?

Last edited by VeyronSuperSprt : 25th June 2015 at 09:29.
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2015, 21:32   #9318
BHPian
 
richie4u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Goa
Posts: 586
Thanked: 180 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Hey guys, After the onset of the monsoon season noticed a lot of black ants in my car(the non biting kind). My question is how to get rid of them and if using the chemical HIT spray is my only option?
richie4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2015, 23:29   #9319
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Pune
Posts: 7
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.bhardwaj View Post
Does anyone on tbhp use the Resqtech 8 litre manual washer ? I am planning to get it very soon but want to be sure about it. I know it throws a misty spray but i guess it will be better than using multiple bottles of water as live on the 4th floor and carrying water all the time is a time consuming and a very tiring job.
Don't know about the manual version but i am using Resqtech 28 Litre with rechargeable battery.Though not as good as those heavy duty pressure washers but has enough pressure to do the job of cleaning light to medium dirty cars.
amit@kumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2015, 18:38   #9320
BHPian
 
dumdum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 51
Thanked: 14 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie4u View Post
Hey guys, After the onset of the monsoon season noticed a lot of black ants in my car(the non biting kind). My question is how to get rid of them and if using the chemical HIT spray is my only option?
I have the same problem. Except, my ants are red!
My cars get parked under a tree (no, I can't change my parking. Parking is anyways a big hassle in Mumbai, it's a good thing I don't have to park on the streets).
I heard spraying HIT on your tyres would help prevent the issue in the future however, I'm not sure if that's safe for the tires.
Could someone please shed some light on this issue. It really is quite a pain dealing with ants.
dumdum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2015, 20:51   #9321
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 16
Thanked: 11 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie4u View Post
Hey guys, After the onset of the monsoon season noticed a lot of black ants in my car(the non biting kind). My question is how to get rid of them and if using the chemical HIT spray is my only option?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
I have the same problem. Except, my ants are red!
My cars get parked under a tree (no, I can't change my parking. Parking is anyways a big hassle in Mumbai, it's a good thing I don't have to park on the streets).
I heard spraying HIT on your tyres would help prevent the issue in the future however, I'm not sure if that's safe for the tires.
Could someone please shed some light on this issue. It really is quite a pain dealing with ants.
It is best not to spray any kind of harsh chemicals on the car or tires. Ants must be coming on your car because there might be something in your car attracting them most probably food items, please check that. Another option is using a jet of water to wash them away. @Dumdum try using a car cover, it might help.
arun_jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2015, 08:24   #9322
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 13,840
Thanked: 17,192 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Just got some goodies for DIY.

The plan is to follow the below steps:

1. Meguiars clay bar
2. Meguiars Ultimate polish for gloss and for minor defect removal. There are very very less swirls so I don't want to use Ultimate compound.
3. Meguiars Ultimate liquid wax. I was using tech wax before this but I got Ultimate wax as reviews suggested it lasted longer. Meguiars online forum says Ultimate wax lasts twice as long as tech wax.

Now I also got some Collinite but not sure if that should be LSP (last step) or should it be Ultimate wax.

Since Ultimate polish has a lot of polishing oils, is it best to use Ultimate wax itself, since it's from the same line? Will Collinite work as well over Ultimate polish?

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 1st July 2015 at 08:28. Reason: typo corrected - god>got
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2015, 09:01   #9323
Senior - BHPian
 
sagarpadaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,545
Thanked: 1,149 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Just got some goodies for DIY.

The plan is to follow the below steps:

1. Meguiars clay bar
2. Meguiars Ultimate polish for gloss and for minor defect removal. There are very very less swirls so I don't want to use Ultimate compound.
3. Meguiars Ultimate liquid wax. I was using tech wax before this but I got Ultimate wax as reviews suggested it lasted longer. Meguiars online forum says Ultimate wax lasts twice as long as tech wax.

Now I also got some Collinite but not sure if that should be LSP (last step) or should it be Ultimate wax.

Since Ultimate polish has a lot of polishing oils, is it best to use Ultimate wax itself, since it's from the same line? Will Collinite work as well over Ultimate polish?
Both Collinite and Ultimate Wax will work well with polishing oils and do not have any bonding issues. However the best 'look' would be with the Ultimate Polish + Ultimate Wax since they are created as synergy products
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2015, 15:27   #9324
BHPian
 
dumdum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 51
Thanked: 14 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_jacob View Post
It is best not to spray any kind of harsh chemicals on the car or tires. Ants must be coming on your car because there might be something in your car attracting them most probably food items, please check that. Another option is using a jet of water to wash them away. @Dumdum try using a car cover, it might help.
I do. This week some worm died on my car, over the cover (not under it), probably fell off the tree. The little rascals got into the cover, all over the car.
dumdum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2015, 22:56   #9325
BHPian
 
Ricci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 705
Thanked: 812 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Allow me to show off for once

Here's the result of F1 carnauba wax - the yellow tin paste once. It's the Figo in silver, so probably harder to get mirror effect on lighter shades.
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20150701336.jpg  

Ricci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2015, 15:24   #9326
mkh
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,070
Thanked: 102 Times
Default Re: Simplified: The Idiot's Guide to keeping your car clean & shiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post
1. With 2-3 microns going off in every polish in a 40 micron clear coat layer, the entire clear coat will disappear in 10-12 applications?

2. And the blockers in the clear coat will deplete in 4 applications?

3. Did you use an ETG to arrive at the figure?



How do they clean the traffic film ?



If so, why does megulars refer to their sealant as wax?
1. Why would you be doing the most aggressive method 10-12 times? I mentioned this is when you are using the most abrasive compounds and not polishes
2. None knows what the exact level of microns for the blockers, its a cleverly guarded secret
3. What a ETG? If its a PTG you are referring to, to be able to measure to the 5% accuracy levels you need a meter worth 50k or more. This is based on most accurate estimates our meter can measure, i do not have the advanced ones
Traffic film is superficial, it can be removed using a paint cleaner too which are zero abrasive polishes. Even a good APC wash can remove traffic film to my knowledge.

Why does meguiars refer as wax- no idea! Even a lot more manufacturers do! However read the label and it will tell you- " combination of wax and polymers etc etc" which clearly means its a blend with higher degree of synthetic content in it( sealants are synthetic and not natural wax). Its more popular to term it as wax hence they follow the nomenclature, sealant does not translate well to most DIY. Even in the pro series meguiars refers to it as "wax"

Last edited by mkh : 8th July 2015 at 15:27.
mkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2015, 17:06   #9327
BHPian
 
saikatmandal04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 63
Thanked: 22 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.bhardwaj View Post
Does anyone on tbhp use the Resqtech 8 litre manual washer ? I am planning to get it very soon but want to be sure about it. I know it throws a misty spray but i guess it will be better than using multiple bottles of water as live on the 4th floor and carrying water all the time is a time consuming and a very tiring job.
There is a thread on 'Pressure Washer' and I found mention of ResQtech there. It might help you.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post3678519 (Buying & Using a Pressure Washer)
saikatmandal04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2015, 19:14   #9328
Distinguished - BHPian
 
a4anurag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 8,550
Thanked: 10,378 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Hey guys,

I have recently got an K10 AMT recently and I need tips to keep the HU facia shining.

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-marutialtok1018.jpg

The car had gone for its first service and I can feel a change in the surface. It feels rough.

Can its smoothness and shine be restored?
a4anurag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2015, 23:11   #9329
BHPian
 
Ricci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 705
Thanked: 812 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Has anyone used or is using chamois leather ?
More specifically, the Abro CH550 chamois as linked.

There's another much more expensive chamois I found online, sold in India - will lhave to ook it up again. Priced around 3500-4000 though, does it have any advantage over the waffle weave drying microfiber ?
Ricci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2015, 14:43   #9330
BHPian
 
MunnabhaiMBBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Pune
Posts: 273
Thanked: 556 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Hey guys,

I have recently got an K10 AMT recently and I need tips to keep the HU facia shining.

Attachment 1390307

The car had gone for its first service and I can feel a change in the surface. It feels rough.

Can its smoothness and shine be restored?
Anurag,

Faced the similar issue with my glossy HU. Out of the box trick worked well. Applied leftover Proklear nano bond solution on surface. It created a thin transparent layer protecting the glossy surface. Works perfect. Hope this helps.

Regards,
Ketan
MunnabhaiMBBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Windshield Polishing & Detailing: Glass Polish India Ltd (Chembur, Mumbai) Epic Mumbai 3 23rd March 2016 10:25
Mixed experience: Car detailing & cleaning from Carzippi.com rajeshsundaram Modifications & Accessories 0 1st February 2016 23:07
Car Detailing & Interior Cleaning - Auto Shine (Kandivali West, Mumbai) renney.varghese Mumbai 62 19th November 2015 17:18
Car Cleaning & Polishing: Thejas Autospa (Phoenix Mall, Chennai) razorBlades Chennai 3 24th August 2015 11:05
Cleaning, Polishing, Painting, etc - Carz Spa (Mangalore, KA) james Other Cities 6 20th December 2013 10:21


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 03:16.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks