Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2016, 19:50   #9586
BHPian
 
swift_guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: NCR
Posts: 196
Thanked: 247 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibby View Post
Any tips on how to clean and maintain chrome (on plastic) on the car?
I see some greyish deposits on chromed areas such as the front grille, door handles and the manufacturer's logos.

Plain water did not help, and I was apprehensive about trying cleaning with car shampoo or mild detergent. Thought would check here first.
I would like to share an experienced painter's tip on removal of these tar-like deposits on chrome surfaces.

I had used an aftermarket plastic grill on my Swift for 2 months (that mesh-type) which had chrome paint over plastic surface. The chrome layer had got brown-grey deposits due to weather and other factors (water, dust, sun, etc.). What this painter did was powder coat (3 coats) with matte black paint and I was asked to use it like this for 3-4 days. After that he uses a fine sandpaper (not suitable for car paint surfaces unless you can seperate the chrome part from body) and voila, that chrome layer is visible again shining in all its glory! He used a rubbing compound after that and I was all set to use the chrome grill once again. Used it for 1 month and switched to matte black (+clear coat) as it looked better and more subtle.

In your case, try with a rubbing compound or rubbing with an aliminium foil (food wrap one).
swift_guy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2016, 20:20   #9587
Senior - BHPian
 
SunnyBoi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mysore / B'lore
Posts: 1,426
Thanked: 2,027 Times
Default Re: Caring for Chrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibby View Post
I was looking to pick the 1 Gallon Meguiar's All Purpose Cleaner, as it is a good product and works out economical compared to small quantity purchase.

However, 3.78 Litres is too much for my requirement (even for the next 2-3 years ).
Is there anyone here from Bangalore who would like to split a can?
Meguair's APC is for professional use. That's why its sold only in gallon cans so that consumers won't buy it. Improper usage of APC will harm paint/plastics, not to mention can cause major discomfort if you breathe in fumes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibby View Post
Any tips on how to clean and maintain chrome (on plastic) on the car?
I see some greyish deposits on chromed areas such as the front grille, door handles and the manufacturer's logos.
These are mineral deposits coming from using hard water to wash cars. Your best bet is spray vinegar, let it soak for a while and scrub these areas with a paint brush. You may have to do this multiple times to get rid of most deposits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swift_guy View Post
I would like to share an experienced painter's tip on removal of these tar-like deposits on chrome surfaces.

I had used an aftermarket plastic grill on my Swift for 2 months (that mesh-type) which had chrome paint over plastic surface. The chrome layer had got brown-grey deposits due to weather and other factors (water, dust, sun, etc.). What this painter did was powder coat (3 coats) with matte black paint and I was asked to use it like this for 3-4 days. After that he uses a fine sandpaper (not suitable for car paint surfaces unless you can seperate the chrome part from body) and voila, that chrome layer is visible again shining in all its glory! He used a rubbing compound after that and I was all set to use the chrome grill once again. Used it for 1 month and switched to matte black (+clear coat) as it looked better and more subtle.

In your case, try with a rubbing compound or rubbing with an aliminium foil (food wrap one).
I'm sorry but that is very bad advice. Please don't use aluminium foil, sandpapers etc. on paint or badges, you'll put lots of scratches on the paint.

Last edited by SunnyBoi : 15th January 2016 at 20:22.
SunnyBoi is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2016, 21:05   #9588
BHPian
 
swift_guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: NCR
Posts: 196
Thanked: 247 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
These are mineral deposits coming from using hard water to wash cars. Your best bet is spray vinegar, let it soak for a while and scrub these areas with a paint brush.
Won't a soft toothbrush work better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
I'm sorry but that is very bad advice. Please don't use aluminium foil, sandpapers etc. on paint or badges, you'll put lots of scratches on the paint.
I disagree. Firstly I have mentioned in my post in the sandpaper part that it will not be usable in his case as finish or paint can be damaged. Secondly I have used aluminium foil technique many times to remove deposits from chrome badges and the foil used at home (for food wraps) is very smooth, will not cause any scratches on chrome surface. It is better to use tapwater (dip the foil in it) as the deposits would come off faster. Not sure if you had any bad experience with this technique.
swift_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2016, 21:36   #9589
Senior - BHPian
 
SunnyBoi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mysore / B'lore
Posts: 1,426
Thanked: 2,027 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by swift_guy View Post
I disagree. Firstly I have mentioned in my post in the sandpaper part that it will not be usable in his case as finish or paint can be damaged. Secondly I have used aluminium foil technique many times to remove deposits from chrome badges and the foil used at home (for food wraps) is very smooth, will not cause any scratches on chrome surface. It is better to use tapwater (dip the foil in it) as the deposits would come off faster. Not sure if you had any bad experience with this technique.
You can use either a ball-peen hammer or sledge hammer to drive a nail into a wall. Both do the job, but with the sledge hammer you'll have a big dent on the wall or worse, a hole in the wall. What happens to the wall must also be considered.

Your method of using aluminium foil or sandpaper will cause massive collateral damage while removing the marks. If it works for you, very good and please continue to do so.

Last edited by SunnyBoi : 15th January 2016 at 21:40.
SunnyBoi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2016, 21:36   #9590
BHPian
 
tibby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 44
Thanked: 24 Times
Default Re: Caring for Chrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Meguair's APC is for professional use. That's why its sold only in gallon cans so that consumers won't buy it. Improper usage of APC will harm paint/plastics, not to mention can cause major discomfort if you breathe in fumes.
Thank you for the heads up.

Going through this thread (and other ones) I have gathered that quite a few members here are using the APC, and it is a well recommended product.
Product reviews on e-commerce portals also seem positive.
I am aware that car care products (particularly those in liquid form) can emit harmful fumes, and would exercise due caution in their use.

Is there any other multi-purpose cleaner than you would recommend?


Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
These are mineral deposits coming from using hard water to wash cars. Your best bet is spray vinegar, let it soak for a while and scrub these areas with a paint brush. You may have to do this multiple times to get rid of most deposits.
Is this recommended irrespective of whether it is chrome on metal or plastic?
tibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2016, 22:52   #9591
Senior - BHPian
 
SunnyBoi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mysore / B'lore
Posts: 1,426
Thanked: 2,027 Times
Default Re: Caring for Chrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibby View Post
Is there any other multi-purpose cleaner than you would recommend?
Few folks use Amway LOC as its a safer alternative, however I haven't used it myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibby View Post
Is this recommended irrespective of whether it is chrome on metal or plastic?
yes its safe. if you're using it on badges, any painted parts that vinegar touches will have to be waxed/sealed again since it will take off whatever is on the paint.
SunnyBoi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2016, 13:49   #9592
Senior - BHPian
 
blackasta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Kolkata, WB
Posts: 2,719
Thanked: 864 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

For APC, I have been using Autofinesse Verso 1:5 diluted with water for a while. Does a good job IMO.
blackasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2016, 14:29   #9593
Senior - BHPian
 
harry10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Faridabad/Delhi
Posts: 2,207
Thanked: 520 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

On the related note. How to clean the engine bay of my City? It's quite dusty now. I do have Amway LoC with me but I have no idea about the application for the bay. Any suggestions?
harry10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2016, 15:29   #9594
Senior - BHPian
 
blackasta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Kolkata, WB
Posts: 2,719
Thanked: 864 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
On the related note. How to clean the engine bay of my City? It's quite dusty now. I do have Amway LoC with me but I have no idea about the application for the bay. Any suggestions?
Lots of product placement, but besides that, couple of very good guides:

http://www.autogeek.net/engine-guide.html

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...fessional.html
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2016, 22:20   #9595
Senior - BHPian
 
SunnyBoi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mysore / B'lore
Posts: 1,426
Thanked: 2,027 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
On the related note. How to clean the engine bay of my City? It's quite dusty now. I do have Amway LoC with me but I have no idea about the application for the bay. Any suggestions?
I had posted a few pointers on the other thread. Link below :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post3801017 (Simplified: The Idiot's Guide to keeping your car clean & shiny)

I cleaned up my cedia's engine yesterday. Few pics :

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_6618.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_6622.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_6612.jpg

Name:  IMG_6609.jpg
Views: 1300
Size:  113.2 KB

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_6605.jpg
SunnyBoi is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2016, 11:13   #9596
BHPian
 
KkVaidya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 623
Thanked: 244 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post

I cleaned up my cedia's engine yesterday. Few pics :
SUPERB job. How did you polish the aluminum? That is the show stopper.
KkVaidya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2016, 11:36   #9597
Senior - BHPian
 
SunnyBoi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mysore / B'lore
Posts: 1,426
Thanked: 2,027 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
SUPERB job. How did you polish the aluminum? That is the show stopper.
Thanks! I used Autosol Metal Polish which I picked up from Singapore few years back.

Couple of pics :


A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20160115_16141301.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20160117_13102901.jpg
SunnyBoi is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2016, 21:56   #9598
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 627
Thanked: 296 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

For an alternative to Megs APC in smaller quantities, I have had good results with Armor All Multipurpose cleaner. It comes in a 500ml sprayer and does a good job. It can be diluted further also to make a milder cleaner.
Mortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2016, 00:47   #9599
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Delhi
Posts: 95
Thanked: 33 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Autosol Metal Polish
Have you used this on the engine block and other metal parts too?

1. Will any Vinyl/ rubber dressing be safe to use in the engine bay (on plastics and rubber hoses) ? - I'm worried about the likelihood of such a coating aggravating a fire.

Or are there any enginebay specific products meant to be used.

2. I have OCW. Since it doesn't stain plastic or rubber and manages to keep the grille and rubber beadings look good and shiny, I was thinking of using it on the engine bay too.

Will wait for your advice!
sinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2016, 01:13   #9600
Senior - BHPian
 
SunnyBoi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mysore / B'lore
Posts: 1,426
Thanked: 2,027 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinhead View Post
Have you used this on the engine block and other metal parts too?
No dressings or polishing done on the block or metal. However the head and manifold have been subjected to a pass of aluminium restoration that has made them sparkle. Check the difference between the throttle body and manifold, you'll see the difference it makes. Throttle body has been left untouched. Heat shield has been polished with Autosol.


Quote:
Originally Posted by sinhead View Post
1. Will any Vinyl/ rubber dressing be safe to use in the engine bay (on plastics and rubber hoses) ? - I'm worried about the likelihood of such a coating aggravating a fire.
Or are there any enginebay specific products meant to be used.
Any plastic, rubber or even tyre dresser will do. I use a water based dressing and it provides a natural look. Oil based dressings attract lot of dust, looks deteriorate quickly and when new, it looks too blingy for my taste.

If you use.proper.products, it will help the rubber parts to remain supple for a longer time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinhead View Post
2. I have OCW. Since it doesn't stain plastic or rubber and manages to keep the grille and rubber beadings look good and shiny, I was thinking of using it on the engine bay too.
OCW is overkill. Stick to plastic/rubber/tyre dresser.
SunnyBoi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Car Detailing and Cleaning - 3M Car Care (Koramangala, Bangalore) nareshtrao Bangalore 25 25th October 2016 15:12
Professional Car Detailing - Sparkle Detailing (Delhi) tsk13 Delhi NCR 11 22nd October 2016 08:34
Windshield Polishing & Detailing: Glass Polish India Ltd (Chembur, Mumbai) Epic Mumbai 3 23rd March 2016 10:25
Car Cleaning & Polishing: Thejas Autospa (Phoenix Mall, Chennai) razorBlades Chennai 3 24th August 2015 11:05
Cleaning, Polishing, Painting, etc - Carz Spa (Mangalore, KA) james Other Cities 6 20th December 2013 10:21


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 02:03.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks