Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 30th August 2016, 12:35   #9931
Default Re: How often Claying is required and is Wax needed after Sealant?

Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post

Do I need to do the claying again now? Or can I skip the claying and just apply Ultima Paint Guard Plus -2 coats (I know the Sealant will not bond properly If used without claying)? Or can I skip Claying and Sealant and just apply Wax? If only Wax, which one to go for?
If I can skip Clay and Sealant, I am ready to Wax the car every month. Also suggest a VFM but low cost and good result giving Wax for a Start.

On a side note, do I need to Wax the car after applying Ultima Paint Guard Plus Sealant?

What is the average life of-
1. Ultima Paint Guard Plus?
2. Gyeon Q2M Clay (or any Clay) and Ultima Elastrofoam Clay Block?

Hi IndigoXLGrandDi, only you can judge whether your car needs claying or not. Just try to feel the surface and you can find out any imperfections that may require claying. If you check youtube, you can find videos on baggy testing where in they use a small plastic bag to find out issues. And you've correctly mentioned if there is contamination then bonding won't happen properly. You may like to explore and confirm that front/bonnet may require claying but other areas won't require it. This is because these areas are in more contact with impurities.

Regarding Sealant vs Wax, my understanding is that in old days people used waxes for bringing shines on their cars. But waxes do not have long life and getting pure carnauba wax was a costly affair. Therefore chemists came up with sealants that gave shine and protection to the paint for longer time periods. Waxes life get really shortened in places like our country with much more stronger/extreme environmental conditions.

There is one more difference between sealants and waxes and that is related to shine they bring in. Sealant's shine is much more stronger and therefore some people do not like it. Waxes bring in much warmer shine and many people like it.

Therefore it'll be your personal choice whether you want to put an additional layer of wax over sealant.

Ultima Paint Guard Plus claims to have a very long life. People on various forums claim that they've received amazing results. I think you can expect minimum 3-4 months protection with it provided your usage, prep of the car at the time of application.

Elastoform and similar products have much longer life in comparison to traditional clay. If you consider average use of 4 times a year then for next 4-5 years you won't have to buy clay or this product. Assumption is 20 usage of this product.
vikasshu is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote