Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 6th November 2016, 18:14   #9946
BHPian

Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Dear BHPians,

Apart from Microfiber Cloths (3M, Meguiar's) do you use any other cloth for washing & drying.

Here is what I do occasionally & the same step is followed by washing guy on regular days.

2 Methods are there in washing

1. Using Running Water
Here, these steps are followed

1. Rinse the car thoroughly
2. Clean the Wheels Using Terry Towel(For Rims) & Brush(For Tyres). Use Soap Powder if necessary.
3. Clean the Body Panels(Top to Bottom), this is done only till the bottom portion of the Doors, the Running boards are cleaned using another cloth
4. Wash the plastic panels & mirrors
5. Rinse the car thoroughly again
6. Wait for few minutes & Start Drying in uniform motion using MF cloth.

Here the washing of each panel is done under running water. This ensures that there is minimum scratches to the paint surface.

2. Using 2 Bucket Method

Everyone knows this so won't eloberate much. If some one uses Car Shampoo & doesn't have a Pressure Washer, this would be best bet. But I don't use any Shampoo for cleaning, hence the 1st Method is the best one according to me.

I might get a Pressure Washer soon with an Foam Lance, that would give washing a Professional Touch IMO

Also, Even though Microfiber Cloth is good, I use Chamois Cloth for Drying. This makes it easier for quick wiping & also keeps surface glossy & clean.

For Dusting, I am not using Jopasu Duster, but an Air Blower which takes away high amount of dust that has accumulated over a period.

Last edited by CarguyNish : 6th November 2016 at 18:22.
CarguyNish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2016, 23:23   #9947
BHPian

Default Re: About Nano Ceramic Coatings : Nanolex / Opticoat / Max Protect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
I personally feel that there is no justification in price if you anyway need to do a touch up after 06 months after spending a good 20k on ceramic coating. It feels like they have included the 'free' touch up in the cost too. Might as well get a professional detail for your car twice a year and you will still pay not more than 15k.
Just to add my little bit to your confusion. Every detailing shop will give their strengths and the more you research the more you will get confused. At the moment there are more than 20+ protectants in the market. The price range is from 5K-25K. It seems you have a budget. Then you should go for what fits your budget. As regards to justification of each product at different prices it is all about the skill and experience of the detailing centre. Please ask them to demonstrate either on a car which is being done or on a panel of your car. Each LSP has a different look and feel. Judge what brings a smile on your face. If the price is higher than your budget then ask yourself is this what you would like your car to look like. From our experience check how long the person has been in the business of detailing. Is he a newbie or has years of experience in Indian conditions? You will get your answer. As regards to save money, that is the mistake many make. A proper detailing job requires skill and experience. That is the premium you have to pay for someone's skill. You can go to a roadside mechanic repeatedly to look after your car. Otherwise an expert will solve your problem once and for all. It's your choice.
ThinkBig is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2016, 14:02   #9948
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBig View Post
Just to add my little bit to your confusion. Every detailing shop will give their strengths and the more you research the more you will get confused. At the moment there are more than 20+ protectants in the market. The price range is from 5K-25K. It seems you have a budget. Then you should go for what fits your budget. As regards to justification of each product at different prices it is all about the skill and experience of the detailing centre. Please ask them to demonstrate either on a car which is being done or on a panel of your car. Each LSP has a different look and feel. Judge what brings a smile on your face. If the price is higher than your budget then ask yourself is this what you would like your car to look like. From our experience check how long the person has been in the business of detailing. Is he a newbie or has years of experience in Indian conditions? You will get your answer. As regards to save money, that is the mistake many make. A proper detailing job requires skill and experience. That is the premium you have to pay for someone's skill. You can go to a roadside mechanic repeatedly to look after your car. Otherwise an expert will solve your problem once and for all. It's your choice.
I agree with you on the point of skill and it is ultimately a very important factor in the car detail process. However, the question is what is the use of paying 3 times the amount for ceramic coating as compared to a professional detailer, if I have to anyway touch it up with in 06 months?

The above is my personal opinion and I am nowhere trying to discourage anyone to go for ceramic coatings. I am just saying that to me the price does not justify the outcome.
Epic is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2016, 15:17   #9949
BHPian

Quote:
I agree with you on the point of skill and it is ultimately a very important factor in the car detail process. However, the question is what is the use of paying 3 times the amount for ceramic coating as compared to a professional detailer, if I have to anyway touch it up with in 06 months?

The above is my personal opinion and I am nowhere trying to discourage anyone to go for ceramic coatings. I am just saying that to me the price does not justify the outcome.
Good coatings don't need touch up after 6 months. Only the ones which don't perform do. The 6 month touch up is just a 30 min-45 min cleanup of tar spots and any shortcomings you may find. It is not a complete job. If your visit to a detailer 3 times is for the full works, that means you will have to give the car to him for 4-6 hours each time. Hence as regards to 6 monthly service you should find out what exactly is the detailer going to do and what service each of the 3 coatings are going to do that you are considering. Technology has moved ahead. If you want to wax it would work still cheaper. But then it comes with its drawbacks of dust attraction. Only I will say choice and money is yours. Either you move ahead with times or stay in the ancient times of car detailing. We have a person coming in our locality doing cars for Rs.500 and many get their cars done from him. So you are not any different, when it comes to economics, but if you want the better technology on your car there are many more options. Wrong products can spoil your paint and other parts of the car. Repainting cars is a costlier option and reduces the value of the car. So a wise decision goes a long way.
ThinkBig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2016, 15:49   #9950
Distinguished - BHPian

To me, the attraction of a good ceramic/nano/high-tech treatment would be protection.

With any other detailing result, one crow can ruin a patch of wax shine and it starts eating into the paintwork immediately. And there are plenty of crows.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2016, 17:52   #9951
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Good coatings don't need touch up after 6 months. Only the ones which don't perform do.
I have spoke to 3 big dealers dealing in 3 big products - Opticoat, Max protect and nanolex. All 3 say that you will needd to come and get a touch up done. So based on you analysis above, I guess all three are coatings which are not good enough.

But this is not necessarily true. What they say is that if the same coating was done for a car abroad, the owner would not need to bother for 2-3 years. The coating will not last as long in a country like ours due to its harsh environment. Besides, there is also an after care process post these coating which are not practical to follow in everyday life. I am sure most of us do not wash our cars ourselves everyday and it is given to the watchman who is washing a number of cars a day. He is not going to bother about using the right recommended technique in washing your car.

Quote:
The 6 month touch up is just a 30 min-45 min cleanup of tar spots and any shortcomings you may find. It is not a complete job. If your visit to a detailer 3 times is for the full works, that means you will have to give the car to him for 4-6 hours each time.
The re-coat aftyer 06 months may take an hour or two I did not ask. But the initial process takes 2-3 days!!!

Quote:
Hence as regards to 6 monthly service you should find out what exactly is the detailer going to do and what service each of the 3 coatings are going to do that you are considering. Technology has moved ahead. If you want to wax it would work still cheaper. But then it comes with its drawbacks of dust attraction.
As per the dealers, ceramic coatings do not repel dust. The ceramic coatings are not scratch proof. They too scratch but to a lesser extent. They had even advised that if there is dust on the car, put water first and then wipe the car. This is ofcourse supossed to be done by default.

Quote:
Only I will say choice and money is yours. Either you move ahead with times or stay in the ancient times of car detailing. We have a person coming in our locality doing cars for Rs.500 and many get their cars done from him. So you are not any different, when it comes to economics, but if you want the better technology on your car there are many more options. Wrong products can spoil your paint and other parts of the car. Repainting cars is a costlier option and reduces the value of the car. So a wise decision goes a long way.
Whoa!! Just because I do not find the latest technology worth my money so I am ancient? You making it sound like I cannot afford the product and so making an excuse to not use it. This is highly unappreciated!

All I am tryin to put forth is that for me, three times the money being spent on ceramic coating, the offering is nothing to write home about.

By the way, is it that you have done a ceramic coating for your car?
Epic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2016, 18:32   #9952
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What they say is that if the same coating was done for a car abroad, the owner would not need to bother for 2-3 years. The coating will not last as long in a country like ours due to its harsh environment.
I am a little suspicious of claims like this.

Some people live near the sea. The salt in Indian sea is the same salt found in foreign sea.

Some people live in very dry places. The silica in foreign dust is just as abrasive as Indian dust.

Some people live in very hot places. Hotter and colder than India. I'm told, by a resident, that Chicago gets as hot as Chennai in the summer, but will be in deep ice over winter.

Some people live near crows. Oh, wait... there I'm beaten: our crows are the worst!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2016, 20:13   #9953
BHPian

Quote:

By the way, is it that you have done a ceramic coating for your car?
I got the Japanese glass coating done on my last 2 cars. A Honda City and a Maruti Kizashi. I paid much more than your budget. The benefit I got was my car remained better than showroom. My Honda city got me a lakh more than an offer by the dealership and it sold in less than 24 hrs. It was sold after 8 years. My Kizashi was sold after 2.5 years for 4 lakhs more than the dealership offer. That too sold within 6 hrs of posting the ad in Quickr. If I had your budget I would have got for a coating which would be able to sustain in our Indian environment. The look of all the 3 coatings you have mentioned are different. You have not mentioned what is the color of your car nor the model. Paints of all cars are different. I would have chosen a coating which gave me the maximum shine, deepest gloss and maximum protection. Glass coatings are costly but have the candy gloss which I love.
Old 7th November 2016, 22:02   #9954
BHPian

Name:  IMG_2565.jpeg
Views: 777
Size:  106.8 KB

Name:  Mail Attachment.jpeg
Views: 769
Size:  102.9 KB

The effect of the glass coating on the 8 year old Honda City I sold 4 years back.
Old 7th November 2016, 22:17   #9955
BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 1574247

Attachment 1574248

The effect of the glass coating on the 8 year old Honda City I sold 4 years back.
What the !!!!!
Simply amazing !!!

Which product and from where? Let me then search it over at NCR area...
ptaneja is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2016, 22:47   #9956
BHPian

Quote:

I have been doing research on this for quiet a bit and it is true that the ceramic coating is better in terms of shine and longivity (in our climate conditions - 01 year maximum) but the results achieved in terms of shine with ceramic coating is just about 15% better than a professional detailing job. However, the pricing for ceramic coating is more than 3 times the cost which I personally feel is not worth as compared to the result. For example - For a VW Polo a professional detail (interior & exterior) would cost you around 6k-7k where as an exteriro ceramic coat and interior detail would cost a whooping 20k!! The creamic coating guys offer a free touch up after 06 months.
I am in the same boat as yours, and here in Hyderabad we have multiple showrooms/franchises offering ceramic coating starting from Rs 18,000/- (opticoat) all the way till Rs 80,000/- (Ceramic pro )

From whatever i understood after speaking to different vendors, the price difference between different packages is purely based on the brand of product and number of coatings. The highest warranty is given by the "ceramic pro'' for a period of approximately 3 years and that with their top of the line platinum package. I shall list down experience with different franchises

1.CERAMIC PRO - Facebook Page link (https://www.facebook.com/SABOO-Ceram...2550013929479/)
By far they are the most expensive amongst others and "claim" to be the only original ceramic coating products in here. They offer 3 packages Silver, Gold and Platinum. They highlight that the cars become scratch proof and fire proof after the ceramic coating (you can see the videos on their facebook page). However the pricing is little too much for my liking for a car like Ford endeavour they quoted me Rs 45,000/- till Rs 80,000/- for the platinum package. They need the vehicle 3 days for the complete process to be finished. Going by the pictures and videos on the facebook page they are doing good number of cars and motorcycles. I am still not able to convince myself to spend that kind of money on this product

2.MOTORCOATS INDIA - Facebook page link (https://www.facebook.com/motorcoats/)
I was told they use products from japan for ceramic coating, I couldn't recall the brand at the moment. They have 7 layer, 10 layer and 13 layer package. Price raging from Rs 35,000- to Rs 45,000/-. They have franchises all over the India. I didn't clear answer from them regarding the brand of products they use. They call the ceramic coating as "NanoTech"

[b]3.[b] Ceramic coating from different vendors like Petes (they use chemical guys products to wax and polish + ceramic coat), couple of individual small scale enterprises using "opticoat" in the range of Rs 18,000 to Rs 20,000/-. They claim the effect will last upto an year.

With so many ceramic coat products in market, I am totally confused on what to do. Sometimes I doubt if all these products (irrespective of brand) do any work as they claim to be like scratch proof for years..etc or its just a marketing gimmick . On Other hand I feel rather than spending a considerable chunk on ceramic coating, its better to get vehicle detailed once in a while (2-3 times an year).

I would like to hear feedback on this latest fad in detailing industry i.e "Ceramic Coating" from experienced people here.
harsha.muvva is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2016, 13:16   #9957
Senior - BHPian

Personally if you ask me, I think such expensive coatings are not advisable for daily drivers, especially in big cities/crowded neighborhoods. Small dings, nicks, scratches are bound to happen, and touchup becomes necessary at every point.

For garage queens, small towns or highway only cars which see occasional usage, maybe worth it.
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2016, 15:11   #9958
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
Dear BHPians,

Apart from Microfiber Cloths (3M, Meguiar's) do you use any other cloth for washing &
For Dusting, I am not using Jopasu Duster, but an Air Blower which takes away high amount of dust that has accumulated over a period.
Thats actually a very safe and an effective method for getting rid of the dust.
Is your air blower a corded type or a cordless one? Im trying to find a cordless one as I dont have a power outlet anywhere near my parking.

Last edited by aparth : 8th November 2016 at 15:14.
aparth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2016, 16:06   #9959
Senior - BHPian

Result of boredom and running out of panels to detail

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-j0i8ssm.jpg
SunnyBoi is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2016, 17:38   #9960
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparth View Post
Is your air blower a corded type or a cordless one? Im trying to find a cordless one as I dont have a power outlet anywhere near my parking.
I have a Cord Type Blower, I use an Extension Box for this purpose.

I had used Jopasu Duster in the past, but it won't lift dust when the surface is treated with wax. This has happened on my brother's i20. Here Jospasu Won't Work, while the blower will easily remove dust.
CarguyNish is online now   Reply With Quote