Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 9th November 2016, 19:13   #9961
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBig View Post
I got the Japanese glass coating done on my last 2 cars. A Honda City and a Maruti Kizashi. I paid much more than your budget. The benefit I got was my car remained better than showroom. My Honda city got me a lakh more than an offer by the dealership and it sold in less than 24 hrs. It was sold after 8 years. My Kizashi was sold after 2.5 years for 4 lakhs more than the dealership offer. That too sold within 6 hrs of posting the ad in Quickr. If I had your budget I would have got for a coating which would be able to sustain in our Indian environment. The look of all the 3 coatings you have mentioned are different. You have not mentioned what is the color of your car nor the model. Paints of all cars are different. I would have chosen a coating which gave me the maximum shine, deepest gloss and maximum protection. Glass coatings are costly but have the candy gloss which I love.
Firstly, I do not know why you keep stressing on my budget. I do not have a budet. All I am trying to find out is how long do these coatings actually last?

I have a 2011 Polo 1.6 which is black and a 2015 Jetta which is toffee brown.

Quote:
Attachment 1574247

Attachment 1574248

The effect of the glass coating on the 8 year old Honda City I sold 4 years back.
The effect looks impressive. However, is this a pic of the car immediatly post the coating or is this the pic of the car 08 years after the coating?
Epic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2016, 21:28   #9962
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
The effect looks impressive. However, is this a pic of the car immediatly post the coating or is this the pic of the car 08 years after the coating?
Epic, the effect on my car lasted more than 3 years. I got it repainted to this colour from its original colour after 4 years. Everyone has a budget. I did not mean to get personal but many feel that multiple treatments are better than one good treatment in terms of cost. I just mentioned that I personally don't mind paying more, for something which gives me a better look. Obviously which lasts and protects against environmental damage. With minimum maintenance. That is why I suggested to you to go and see the look each coating gives. Go for the one which gives you the feel good factor.
ThinkBig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2016, 22:32   #9963
BHPian

I will show you the look on my Black Kizashi after 2.5 years, which was just before selling it. It was glass coated after receiving its delivery and had the glass look at the time of selling it.
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-kizashi.jpg
ThinkBig is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2016, 23:24   #9964
BHPian

Quote:
I will show you the look on my Black Kizashi after 2.5 years, which was just before selling it. It was glass coated after receiving its delivery and had the glass look at the time of selling it.
Attachment 1574746
Where did you get this coating done from and what did you pay?

My car is 6 months old now, would it make sense to go for such a treatment or is it only of value on a brand new car

Thanks
nova9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2016, 23:52   #9965
BHPian

While 3M has been a recent (5 years ago) entrant to the scene of car maintenance, and only now growing in popularity, I feel cars looked the best when owners took personal care of them.. it simply feels so even at a single glance. Car detailing centres are like McDonalds, they do it quick, it looks shiny and impressive and it needs little to no effort on our end other than forking over wads of cash, personal care is like a home-cooked vegetarian meal - its warm, inviting and its done with care over a longer time.

Due to lack of free-time I've no longer been able to care for my car for the past couple of years, but this was my routine during the time when I was a wee bit younger and a lot more free :

1) Hose down > The most important aspect of cleaning, water takes away the dust and grime and cleans the wheel-well, bumper and tyres.

2) A drop of shampoo > Here's the trick to not having to keep washing the suds away, use a drop.. does the job fantastically and leaves without a trace.

3) Wipe down > The 2nd most important aspect of cleaning, remember that whatever experience the folks at 3M or your car washer might have.. your hands work the best, atleast mine did. A careful, smooth wipe-down of all the water residue using absorbent sponge+microfibre.

4) Colin > A quick spray of Colin over the glass immediately after wipe-down and all the droplets vanish without a trace leaving glass shiny. I do this to the bonnet too, as the bonnet is the first point of observation in general.

5) Work the crevices > A fibre cloth over the grill, insides of the hatch, inside portions of head/tail lights, door sills and fog lamp area. Removes light deposits of dust, grime and water immediately.

6) Spray-on wax > Easy to apply as its liquid, just spray 6-7 times over a surface and wipe uniformly in an up-down motion for not more than a minute. Let it be wet and set dry. Again most emphasis on application over bonnet and roof.

7) Dashboard cleaning > Nothing special.. just a cloth that is lightly soaked that it wont streak with water, swipe once to remove dust, oils and other impurities.

8) Dashboard polish > Again as simple as it sounds, spray onto the dash and rub in circles lightly till it gets dissolved and blends with a shine. Use the cloth to finish-over the external side/rear protective cladding of the car after the interiors are done.

9) Interior once-over > A light cleaning with a damp cloth of the seats (P.U leather) and other bits and bobs like cabin lights, seat-belts (YES!), gear knobs and A/B pillars.

10) Soak the mats and set to dry in the sun and put it back.

Damage - about 2.5-3 hours when done in a relaxed manner with breaks inbetween, a slightly achy back & even more achy hands. Financial cost would be about a 100 bucks as most of the materials can be re-used for 3-4 months after a single purchase. I've written this more on the lines of a common, everyman accessible methods without having to purchase expensive detailing creams or German glass cleaners (which are a ripoff of the century may I add). I did this once in 4-5 weeks on average, with the rest taken care of by the hired help. Dare I say it looked 10x better than anything that even professionals or the service centre attempted, and the same thought was mirrored by even single person who saw the result.

I don't know what "professional detailers" protocols I've breached using this method but I do know that it works.. even keeping swirl marks at bay. It just kept me occupied.. like a creative outlet and it cost next to nothing to do. I say we should all do what feels right to us in terms of products, procedures and approach.. as long as the basics are adhered to anyway.
dark.knight is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2016, 00:38   #9966
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova9 View Post
My car is 6 months old now, would it make sense to go for such a treatment or is it only of value on a brand new car
I feel that it could be of value on any age of car, but that it only makes sense if it is detailed to the extent of looking near-perfect before the treatment. So an older car is going to bear that additional cost.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2016, 13:26   #9967
Senior - BHPian

Guys which is the best thing available in market for cleaning alloys/tyres? (if there is such a thing of course). If it has been discussed then please share the link.
nitinralli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2016, 21:10   #9968
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova9 View Post
Where did you get this coating done from and what did you pay?

Thanks
There is no problem for doing a treatment on a 6 month old car. They are very good in refining the paint before the glass coating. They had 2 options. Single coat of glass which they termed as base coat and a double coat of glass coating. The second coat is a top coat. The Single base coat was for 15k on the Kizashi with a 2 year warranty and the double coat was for 25k for a 3 year warranty. I opted for the double coat. The workshop is in Goregaon.
ThinkBig is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2016, 21:26   #9969
BHPian

What is the name of the Jap glass coating used or the details contact information ? This will help us do some research before opting for it.

I managed to snag 3 tubes of Opti Coat last year when it was announced that the consumer version was being discontinued and replaced by Optimum Gloss Coat.
Unfortunately, i wasted one tube when I opened it up to try and remove the factory air bubble. That tube has gelled up. The other tubes are fine. Ill be using them on my next car as I dont want to 'waste' it on my 5.5 year old car, it makes sense to save it for a new vehicle as it is the only 'permanent' consumer coating available and is no longer produced
Mortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2016, 22:59   #9970
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
What is the name of the Jap glass coating used or the details contact information ? This will help us do some research before opting for it.
The person I contacted was Mr. Saighal. His mobile number is 9821111751. They called the product Glossiguard. They mentioned that it was their own product produced specifically for them from Japan. I searched the net at that time and did not find this specific name. They showed the glass residue of both the base coat & the top coat. Very genuine product. I saw a few cars done by them and went ahead with the treatment. No regrets, the results were great.
ThinkBig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2016, 13:48   #9971
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Guys which is the best thing available in market for cleaning alloys/tyres? (if there is such a thing of course). If it has been discussed then please share the link.
You can use an all purpose cleaner. Its pretty effective in getting rid of the brake dust stuck on the wheels. Otherwise you can use a product like Carpro Iron X for more deeper cleaning and to remove the iron particles and other contaminants.
aparth is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2016, 10:17   #9972
Senior - BHPian

Most of them times, a good wash is all thats needed.

Before

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-001.jpeg

During

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-002.jpeg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-003.jpeg

After

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-004.jpeg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-005.jpeg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-006.jpeg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-whatsapp-image-20161113-12.47.36-pm.jpeg

Last edited by SunnyBoi : 14th November 2016 at 10:25.
SunnyBoi is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2016, 12:40   #9973
Senior - BHPian

Smile Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Had been to Maxshine Thane for the detailing of my Punto. Came across this ad of ceramic coating. Enquired with Mangesh and it costs for hatchback 20K, for sedan 25k, and for SUV 30K. The gloss on one of the cars i.e Chevy Cruze which had undergone the ceramic coating was simply mind blowing. No one could tell the car was 5 yrs old, looked like showroom piece. There were atleast 6-7 owners (7 series BMW, Honda city, Jetta etc) had come to enquire about the coating. One of the BHPian Ankur Chaturvedi had got it done on his Alto and was completely satisfied with the product. The life for the coating though is one year but totally repels water accumulation. Mangesh demonstrated it on the Cruze.
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-maxshine-ceramic-coating.jpg  

ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2016, 21:24   #9974
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Had been to Maxshine Thane for the detailing of my Punto. Came across this ad of ceramic coating. Enquired with Mangesh and it costs for hatchback 20K, for sedan 25k, and for SUV 30K. The gloss on one of the cars i.e Chevy Cruze which had undergone the ceramic coating was simply mind blowing. No one could tell the car was 5 yrs old, looked like showroom piece. There were atleast 6-7 owners (7 series BMW, Honda city, Jetta etc) had come to enquire about the coating. One of the BHPian Ankur Chaturvedi had got it done on his Alto and was completely satisfied with the product. The life for the coating though is one year but totally repels water accumulation. Mangesh demonstrated it on the Cruze.
Hi ghodlur,

I have been discussing this in a couple of post before and trying to understand whether spending 20k for a ceramic coat that will last only a year is worth the money? Is it practical to spend 20k every year for this? Since you have seen the outcome in person, what is your opinion in this regard?

Last edited by Epic : 15th November 2016 at 21:25.
Epic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2016, 08:04   #9975
Senior - BHPian

Smile Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Since you have seen the outcome in person, what is your opinion in this regard?
The outcome which I saw on the Cruze where the ceramic coating was applied was simply astonishing. There was a glaze which I had at least not seen before. Even I was sceptic about spending that much amount for an year, but the looks the car gets is enviable. I had a chat with the Cruze owner trying to understand the reason for going for the coating. As per him, since his drives involved daily Mum-Pune-Mum trips and he could afford to spend on the coating. Plus he was sold on the product when he had seen another car which had undergone the treatment. More of a financial/personal decision I guess. How much practical, cant say.
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote