Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 4th August 2012, 18:24   #16
BHPian

Default re: Soft Suspension in the Honda City

I also face the same issue in the new City, it's ok when I'm alone but the same breaker scrapes when even one more person is with me, but at times I'm not sure whether it is actually the body that scrapes or is it just the mud flaps, Note: Mudflaps are much lower than the body's GC and are harder as well, so they could also be the culprit.
I also noticed that the scraping sound always comes from near and behind the front set of tyres. Mudflap/Body? how do i know
envy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2012, 19:08   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by envy View Post
I also noticed that the scraping sound always comes from near and behind the front set of tyres. Mudflap/Body? how do i know
There will be difference in sound of scraping a metal(underbody) and a rubber/plastic(mudflap). It's quite recognizable.
bluevolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2012, 23:00   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
There will be difference in sound of scraping a metal(underbody) and a rubber/plastic(mudflap). It's quite recognizable.

Usually when my car hits my windows are up, since I drive slowly almost always on breakers, and due to sound isolation, it is hard to distinguish a small scraping sound as metal/rubber.

But recently I rolled my windows down on a particular breaker, and I was right it was the sound of that stiff rubber flap scraping.

On second thoughts, it is good that the flap is lower than the actual metal body, if it hits I'll know on which breaker I have to be more careful than others.

Will get my car's bottom inspected on next service just to confirm the damage if any.
envy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2015, 07:55   #19
BHPian

Default Re: Soft Suspension in the Honda City

Old thread, but still trying to revive. I can certainly make out the difference of a mud flap scraping and the underbelly. When the mud flap hits, it usually happens right after the front wheel crosses and it happens all the time. My office campus has a mile high speed breaker and it always hits there, even with just me in the car.

I had installed the adjusters over the rear coil spring and it has significantly reduced scraping (although it still does only when driving in some parts of Bangalore). When the underbelly hits, you hear more of a thud rather than a 2 tone sound of the mud flap being flexed and reverting.

In an attempt to fix this forever, I called Koni FSD (Methods Automotive) in Bangalore. Sadly, they do not have a suspension setup for Honda city. Seems Tein SS has suspension setup for city, but they are more of sports setup, which I am not really interested in at the moment.
sudeepg is offline   Reply With Quote