Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 2nd June 2011, 22:18   #1
BHPian

Default Soft Suspension in the Honda City

I own a new Honda City 2010 Model and i like the car a lot. The only problem i have faced so far now is that it scrapes every Speedbreaker even if 2 people are sitting in it..The front and back suspension action is bone jarring at times and i feel every thing in the car which is there on the road.

Can the suspension of Honda City be lifted or made a Bit hard so that it doesn't behave like this? I have heard that there is a modification possible in the suspension with which it becomes a bit hard and doesn't scrape everywhere..

Guys please help me on this.. Its very difficult to drive this car in Bangalore...
Piyush_Vroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2011, 23:00   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Suspension in ANHC

Looks like you are driving faster over the speedbreakers. I have a jetta and its suppose to have the lowest GC. So far i have scrapped ones on a "Carbreaker". It was so huge i always call it a car breaker.

Take the speedbreakers a little slower and i am sure it will not scrap that much.

Alternatively you can alter the suspension. But may end up spending a little too much.
VW2010 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2011, 23:17   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyush_Vroom View Post
.... there is a modification possible in the suspension with which it becomes a bit hard and doesn't scrape everywhere..
There are two options to prevent bottoming out. The latter can fix the excessive travel on load. Going by the reports, I don't think you can expect anything more.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2011, 23:22   #4
Senior - BHPian

I too own a Honda City and have driven the car across Haryana including Gurgaon, Rohtak roads. I hardly scrapped my car in its 4500 KM run till date. Though it is possible to alter the suspension but I guess that may raise warranty issues.

You can avoid speed breakers by following correct technique as mentioned in the picture. Never apply breaks while crossing the speed breakers, slow down before approaching them. Also keep the tyre pressure correct.
Attached Images

Last edited by bluevolt : 2nd June 2011 at 23:25.
bluevolt is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2011, 01:56   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Looks like you are driving faster over the speedbreakers. I have a jetta and its suppose to have the lowest GC. So far i have scrapped ones on a "Carbreaker". It was so huge i always call it a car breaker.

Take the speedbreakers a little slower and i am sure it will not scrap that much.

Alternatively you can alter the suspension. But may end up spending a little too much.
I take the speedbreakers very slowly at the least possible speeds.Still the result is the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
I too own a Honda City and have driven the car across Haryana including Gurgaon, Rohtak roads. I hardly scrapped my car in its 4500 KM run till date. Though it is possible to alter the suspension but I guess that may raise warranty issues.

You can avoid speed breakers by following correct technique as mentioned in the picture. Never apply breaks while crossing the speed breakers, slow down before approaching them. Also keep the tyre pressure correct.
I never had such problems when i am alone in the car. When there are 2 or 3 people then i have problem and i follow the same technique but Bangalore has some major Speed breakers as compared to NCR..

Could there be problem with my suspension being too soft as compared to other City's
Old 3rd June 2011, 02:01   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
There are two options to prevent bottoming out.The latter can fix the excessive travel on load. Going by the reports, I don't think you can expect anything more.
Thanks for the thread. I will take a look

Moreover how much would suspension change/modifications would cost. I dont care about warranty...
Old 3rd June 2011, 02:49   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Moreover how much would suspension change/modifications would cost. I dont care about warranty...
Fellow bhp'n has done a suspension revamp from TDi racing Bangalore at about 20k. His problem of scraping the bumps were eliminated, moreover, handling improved a lot.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post2164776 (Re-Mapped Optra Magnum TCDI. EDIT:Dyno Graph on Pg 4)

You could contact him, as well as the TDi Racing guys. Contact info should be available in the tbhp directory.

However, voiding the warranty is not a good Idea. I would not advise it. Talk to the A.S.S and get in terms.
dhanushs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2011, 11:15   #8
BHPian

Default re: Soft Suspension in the Honda City

@Piyush_vroom: I also stay in Noida, and am able to avoid scraping by taking the big ones or the car-breakers diagonally. However on some highways in UP, there is no avoiding and one has to live through the under body scraping.
The ANHC does not have a good suspension, and with 4 people the rear passengers would be tossed around on bumpy roads. The worst part being the amount of road noise that filters in on rut or semi finished roads.
No choice mate, we have to live with it. I would also be interested if there is a good garage in Delhi & NCR who could redo the suspension.
amitku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2011, 13:46   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is it the whole suspension system that you want to change or only the coil springs ? The whole suspension change would set you back considerably in terms of money.The brighter side is that , handling improves quite noticeably.

I would say take a look at the Koni's(yellow) and check if there is one available for the ANHC. I haven't seen a Koni install done on a honda on our forum here, so quite not sure if its available for the Honda's.

Otherwise you have Pedders which again are pretty good. Check with Electra Performance(chennai) under the tuners directory listings and they should be able to guide you.

DMS is another option. Confused eh ?

Last edited by rjstyles69 : 3rd June 2011 at 13:47.
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2011, 21:52   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post

I would say take a look at the Koni's(yellow) and check if there is one available for the ANHC. I haven't seen a Koni install done on a honda on our forum here, so quite not sure if its available for the Honda's.
I got Koni Yellows on my Accord recently. Have a look at my thread.

They are adjustable so you can have a stiff ride with better handling, or a ride which is as good as stock on the soft setting. Infact even better. I don't think springs should be changed on stock shocks, since IMO stock Honda shocks are crap.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2011, 22:09   #11
BHPian

Thanks all. I have a thought about Coil spring adjusters and already ordered those for the rear suspension. Will try them and then later on go for a suspension swap if needed
Old 3rd June 2011, 22:10   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Is it the whole suspension system that you want to change or only the coil springs ? The whole suspension change would set you back considerably in terms of money.The brighter side is that , handling improves quite noticeably.

Otherwise you have Pedders which again are pretty good. Check with Electra Performance(chennai) under the tuners directory listings and they should be able to guide you.

DMS is another option. Confused eh ?
Now i am totally confused....

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
I got Koni Yellows on my Accord recently. Have a look at my thread.

They are adjustable so you can have a stiff ride with better handling, or a ride which is as good as stock on the soft setting. Infact even better. I don't think springs should be changed on stock shocks, since IMO stock Honda shocks are crap.
Where to source them from and any cost idea about the mods...Can you please point me to your thread..
Old 5th June 2011, 17:39   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The coil spring adjusters completely solved this problem in my Civic. Even with 5 on board and a trunk full of luggage, we didn't scrape on a recent 400 kms road trip. I'm still running the same on my Civic and intend to stick with them till I get a performance suspension. Let us know how they work for you.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2012, 06:53   #14
Senior - BHPian

Bump, bump.
Piyush, what solution did you go with? How is the performance?

Do let us know in detail, it is bound to help a lot of city (2008- ) owners. Thanks!
Sn1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2012, 15:23   #15
BHPian

Nothing so far but i may go with Koni's the coming week and i will keep you posted.