Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 31st January 2006, 13:05   #1
BHPian

Default problem with Indica V2

I have a Indica v2 which has done 18K kms. It's a diesel (not turbo) one and i face problems driving with A/C switched on. I dont have any issues without the A/C and i do have a fantastic pick up compared to other Indica's i have seen. But the real problem occurs when i drive with A/C on. At second gear the car is really struggling a lot, it is not able to push easily. i have to drive in half clutch to keep it running. but once it reaches third gear the car is smooth as before. What might be the problem here?
msk_kapoor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2006, 13:49   #2
BHPian

@MSK, I do not know what the exact problem is but we had an IndicaV2 (non turbo) just like you and faced the same issues. Sometimes ( almost ALL times) the car would stall when the a/c was switched on. Tata Service guys always said it was "badfuel" but the problem persisted. Have your car's silencer cleaned(burnt or whatever). It might improve the car's pickup.
Ajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2006, 13:56   #3
BHPian

Hi Ajay, i appreciate your response. I was also told that fuel might be a problem and they asked me to use Xtra premium diesel from Indian oil. I was using them only and still face the same issue. I think this is a regular problem with Indica V2 model.
Old 31st January 2006, 14:25   #4
Team-BHP Support

Could you explain your problem again. Lets say you shift to second gear at 15kms/hr, and then press the accelerator. Does that car start jerking? If you dont floor the accelerator and just gradually press it does it still jerk?
If jerks are your problem then the problem is with the fuel. Now fuel problem can mean two things, either you are running on kerosene, or your fuel pump is not properly set up.
If you have an electronic fuel pump such problem is not expected(Cars sold after Apr 2005 had electronic fuel pumps).
If you have an older indica then all you need to do is go to a trusted pump. Put in fuel when the tank is empty ie around 35Liters. Use normal diesel. Add 40ml of system D. And drive a little bit. Also in the parked car revv hard till black soot from silencer stops coming. You can also put water in your silencer to clean it. Now drive and see if jerks persist.
If they do, then you need to tune up your fuel pump. This is a tough task as 99% of Tata worshops cannot adjust a fuel pump. So its on your luck.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2006, 14:31   #5
BHPian

I have a October 2004 model and hence dont have the electronic fuel pump :(.
My car is not jerking, even if i press the accelerator there is not any difference, the car will cruise in its own slow pace and will gain speed vey slowly.I am not getting any response for the fuel that is getting pumped it. This happens at around 15-25 KMPH. Hope i have explained the problem some more better
Old 31st January 2006, 14:38   #6
Team-BHP Support

You could try this shifting speeds
1-2 20kmph
2-3 35kmph.

Also set your fuel-air mixture to little richer. This will drop mileage but increase pickup.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2006, 14:41   #7
BHPian

I will try this i sure want to get rid of this problem