Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2006, 00:02   #16
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Mpower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 10,432
Thanked: 1,682 Times
Default

The owners car looks damn nice. Are you able to get original spares for the car?

Also, what make seats are those and how much do they cost?
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2006, 02:05   #17
BHPian
 
Gtea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Shillong
Posts: 163
Thanked: Once
Default

Wish I was there with you.... Hehehehehe.
I just love workshops. I can sit all day long watching the mechanics do their work.
Hope you car turns out great.

Keep us posted.
Gtea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2006, 11:31   #18
Team-BHP Support
 
Zappo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 5,650
Thanked: 2,010 Times
Default

Whoa mannn! Edmunds... that looks fab, absolutely!! And the garage owner's car seems to have the fit and finish of a new car. I hope you get the same finish on your car. I would love to track the restoration cycle of your car... Keep posting everyday pics.

By the way, which color are you opting for your car? And, are you able to get original spares?
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2006, 12:59   #19
BHPian
 
hot_rod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: mumbai
Posts: 166
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

woah edmund the owners car is super awesome man!hope your car looks better than his or as good as his the rims look awesome too what other mods do you intend for the car?when will the work be completed?
hot_rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2006, 13:18   #20
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: KL
Posts: 4,680
Thanked: 3,508 Times
Default

Edmund, all the best with resto dude! Make it a looker! Get her ready by March. If you have any difficulty procuring any thing required for the job let me know, i'll try to get it from here. Here are some of my suggestions.

While applying primer go for a zinc primer, would give better rust prevention.

Get those seats padded real nice, otherwise on long drives it could be bad for your back. Wrap the seats with good quality material. Should look as if it came from the factory like that. Get seat belts fitted.

Don't leave the rear seats, do it up good. I had a plan for my car that was to fit two independent seats like in the front. Will look into it when i'm geting it done. Anyways i don't want to carry more than four people in my car. Rear seatbelts, can it be done?

Try to get dynamat or similar material and install it. It should give good sound absorption of suspension and road noise. Ill be doing it for my car. Don't like rattling noises.

New model's front windscreen wiper assembly can be fitted with lil modification, ask your mechanic if he can do it. Stock windscreen wipers are not upto the mark.

While at it, get your whole wiring checked. If any splicing& insulation tape job has been done anywhere this is the chance to get it done correctly using connectors. I hate splicing and tapes - my car has it :(

Does it have central locking/security? If you need get it done now, i have a autocop basic setup. It's convenient.

Steering wheel & gear knob. Match it with seats & interiors.

Make provision for left side door mirrors. If you need em.

I'll put down more ideas & suggestions as i get em. Happy rebuilding!! Keep us posted!!
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2006, 16:20   #21
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Stuttgart, Germany.
Posts: 815
Thanked: 96 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
The owners car looks damn nice. Are you able to get original spares for the car?

Also, what make seats are those and how much do they cost?
The seats are a clone of a set of Original Recaros...... when the Recaros had to be upholstered my Uncle [Who gave me the fiberglass leaf springs!!!] cast them in fiberglass........ and gave them to me!!!!

Most of the spares are available....... as of now i haven't had any problems with spares!!
Edmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2006, 21:03   #22
BHPian
 
kvish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 598
Thanked: 135 Times
Default

I wish I had such uncles

Cheers!
Kvish
kvish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2006, 23:21   #23
Senior - BHPian
 
nitrous's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: UAE/Lon/Madras
Posts: 6,966
Thanked: 282 Times
Default

Quote:
Most of the spares are available....... as of now i haven't had any problems with spares!!
I remember Rudra having a tough-time finding spares and had to bring them down from all over the country.This is a year back.

But, Even finding spares for an 'out-of-production' car is like Treasure hunt.Pleasure,none the less.

PS: I have a small hunch that she's being tuned for the Speedrun

Last edited by nitrous : 3rd February 2006 at 23:23.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2006, 23:24   #24
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Stuttgart, Germany.
Posts: 815
Thanked: 96 Times
Exclamation Pics from day three!!!

By day three, the suspension has been rebuilt, the brake components have been replaced......... and the wheels have been put back on to roll it to the panel beaters!!





The colour chosen for my ride is a Skyline GTR blue but not in metallic......... the shade will be solid colour to keep the originality!!



The owner and me discuss the paint job and i keep reminding him that key phrase is attention to detail!!!




The key areas of concern, one............ the Passenger side flooring!!




Two the spare wheel area!!!!




And three, the left side of the monocoque, under the B-pillar!!!



Will keep y'all posted as the work progresses.........

Take care!!

Edmund is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2006, 23:56   #25
BHPian
 
Gtea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Shillong
Posts: 163
Thanked: Once
Default

Hey Edmund, How does a Skyline GTR Blue look like?

Can you post a Skyline with the above shade of blue?
If I like the shade I may even paint my car with it. :-)
Gtea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2006, 00:23   #26
BHPian
 
adit1329's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 344
Thanked: 0 Times
Default



my my, i appreciate the effort and time you are investing in the restoration of the car....
adit1329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2006, 13:22   #27
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Stuttgart, Germany.
Posts: 815
Thanked: 96 Times
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous
I remember Rudra having a tough-time finding spares and had to bring them down from all over the country.This is a year back.
I know,..................

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous
But, Even finding spares for an 'out-of-production' car is like Treasure hunt.Pleasure,none the less.

That's the fun.....hunting the town for a engine foundation!!!!


Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous
PS: I have a small hunch that she's being tuned for the Speedrun
Hmmmmm.........hunches eh?
Edmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2006, 13:24   #28
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Stuttgart, Germany.
Posts: 815
Thanked: 96 Times
Exclamation The Skyline GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtea
Hey Edmund, How does a Skyline GTR Blue look like?

Can you post a Skyline with the above shade of blue?
If I like the shade I may even paint my car with it. :-)
Edmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2006, 13:47   #29
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Stuttgart, Germany.
Posts: 815
Thanked: 96 Times
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar
Edmund, all the best with resto dude! Make it a looker! Get her ready by March. If you have any difficulty procuring any thing required for the job let me know, i'll try to get it from here.
I will keep you posted crank!! I might need the clearglass headlights from bangalore!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar
While applying primer go for a zinc primer, would give better rust prevention.
I will take that suggestion to the garage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar
Get those seats padded real nice, otherwise on long drives it could be bad for your back. Wrap the seats with good quality material. Should look as if it came from the factory like that. Get seat belts fitted.
The padding and materials used will be quality stuff, seat belts are on the checklist too!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar
Don't leave the rear seats, do it up good. I had a plan for my car that was to fit two independent seats like in the front. Will look into it when i'm geting it done. Anyways i don't want to carry more than four people in my car. Rear seatbelts, can it be done?
The rear bucket seat idea was on my design draft too but i'm leaving that out for now!! Rear seatbelts shouldn't be too much of a problem.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar
Try to get dynamat or similar material and install it. It should give good sound absorption of suspension and road noise. Ill be doing it for my car. Don't like rattling noises.
I'm getting something like that installed, not dynamat exactly but something on the same lines!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar
New model's front windscreen wiper assembly can be fitted with lil modification, ask your mechanic if he can do it. Stock windscreen wipers are not upto the mark.
Yup, getting bosch wiper blades with some other wiper arms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar
While at it, get your whole wiring checked. If any splicing& insulation tape job has been done anywhere this is the chance to get it done correctly using connectors. I hate splicing and tapes - my car has it :(
Wiring on the checklist too!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar
Does it have central locking/security? If you need get it done now, i have a autocop basic setup. It's convenient.
How much did you pay for the AUTOCOP setup? 7K??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar
Steering wheel & gear knob. Match it with seats & interiors.
Sports wheel also on the list........ want a basic MOMO will have to see if we can squeeze it into the budget!!!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar
I'll put down more ideas & suggestions as i get em. Happy rebuilding!! Keep us posted!!
Edmund is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2006, 20:23   #30
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Stuttgart, Germany.
Posts: 815
Thanked: 96 Times
Exclamation Day 7!

My car has now been at the panel beaters for 4 days now couldn't score any pictures as i work on the weekdays........ but i spoke to the owner and he assured me that the work's on schedule and looking good, major tinwork has been done and just the finishing touches remain!

Will post latest pictures as soon as i get free!

Man i can't concentrate at work....... perpetually thinking of my car and wanting to be there to watch the work while it happens!

Anybody gonna be in Goa between the 9th-15th of feb?
Edmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Happy Birthday Cyrus43 & Edmund vikram18 Shifting gears 29 23rd May 2009 00:27
Happy Birthday Cyrus & Edmund vikram18 Shifting gears 32 25th May 2008 14:41
India's own Edmund.com theMAG The Indian Car Scene 16 1st April 2008 17:08
Happy Birthday Edmund! gr8guzzler Shifting gears 30 22nd May 2007 15:20


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 00:26.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks