Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 4th February 2008, 16:11   #406
Senior - BHPian

Just saw the thread today. Amazing job done !! Its good that I am reading it after the work is complete, I cant stand lazy workers when we put our full heart into something like this project (Ref. to painter). Congrats on your new baby, enjoy the ride ! That blue is my favourite colour too !!
shajufx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2008, 00:12   #407
Senior - BHPian

Its an amazing job.

Well done.
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2008, 14:30   #408
Awaiting Email Confirmation

First time ever even heard of people so attached to their old vehicles that they would go down to any levels, nice work indeed.
priyank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2008, 20:05   #409
BHPian

Just read through the entire thread. Shows the passion and love for the car! Am impressed. I have always loved your car. Here is a little PS work I did, hope you like it.

Original :

PS'ed :

I along with a friend are thinking to get a 85' M800 and restore it next month. Me being a student, I can throw in a budget of 1.5L for the entire work. But the main question is, how easy is it to get the spares and how is the car on the maintainance part? Am actually selling off my bike and with that money I am going to go in for the car. We might do a engine swap and put in a 1Ltr engine (if the stock engine is dead). Many options are open. But mostly I see the project coming up.

Please let me know regarding the availability of spares and and the ease of maintainance.

Sagar.
furioussphinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2008, 14:48   #410
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by furioussphinx View Post
I along with a friend are thinking to get a 85' M800 and restore it next month. Me being a student, I can throw in a budget of 1.5L for the entire work. But the main question is, how easy is it to get the spares and how is the car on the maintainance part? Am actually selling off my bike and with that money I am going to go in for the car. We might do a engine swap and put in a 1Ltr engine (if the stock engine is dead). Many options are open. But mostly I see the project coming up.

Please let me know regarding the availability of spares and and the ease of maintainance.

Sagar.
Nice PS work sagar, ...........now for your questions!

Spares.........available everywhere no sweat!!!
maintainance............it's an 800 my friend.......again no sweat!
Engine swap..... now that's what i want to do.....a wagon R 1.1 will be sweet!

Keep me posted!

ed!~
Edmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2008, 14:57   #411
Distinguished - BHPian

Ed... you're alive???? Great!! Where have you been?
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2008, 15:02   #412
BHPian

Exclamation bl@ck!

Here's an update!!!!

My ride's got a wicked set of wheels now.................. blackonblack!!!

Last edited by Edmund : 26th February 2008 at 15:07. Reason: add pic
Edmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2008, 15:05   #413
Distinguished - BHPian

Hmm... imho the original look of the wheel was better. Some wheels look good in black... this design i feel was better off in the original scheme.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2008, 16:06   #414
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund View Post
Kerala - Chennai....... wow! Are the roads good? 14-16 hrs of continous driving must demand good roads!!

52k on the odo... in 20 yrs..... im sure those were wonderful drives!!!

I'm sure the previous owner of my car must say that he sees his last car zipping around town too!! His wife didn't want to part with it, even thought she had a Santro and an Ikon all to herself!!
Just came across this thread and got a nostalgic feeling in my tummy. I was a proud owner of this wonderful car till 2002, when we sold it after 17 years of ownership. This was the car that I learnt to drive on! Even after 17 years, it used to give me a FE of 15/ltr. We sold it with 125000 on the odo and at INR 36k. The sale revenue funded the ICE and other accessories of my Indica in 2002. But my memories still remain in the car
nishantgandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2008, 16:19   #415
BANNED

Yes Edmund,

The older set of wheels look great,

Use thinner and remove the dull black spray on them.

Black yes, but in little quantity,

since my car's the similar color, its difficult to complement with any additions.

I've added Chrome and Black mixed alloys, and blackened the Pillars.

But hats off for the great maintenance.

How often do you use the car?

Mine runs 60 kms a day.20 days a month.

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 26th February 2008 at 16:20. Reason: Added a sentence
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2008, 16:35   #416
BHPian

IMHO the alloys lack the finish you expect from them.
artofzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2008, 18:51   #417
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
A close friend of mine too had his SS80 M800 redone. The car was brought second-hand and was in a wierd shade of red. After spending a lot of time and money the car now looks much better than when it was brought. Pity though each stage of its progress wasn't captured on cam. Anyways here are the before and after pics. I've invited him to join Team-BHP and he would be here soon with his experience. Till then enjoy the pics :

hey gordan you should ask your friend to get the clear lens lamps make by autopal india they are used by sankar he should be able to tell you about them!

and edmund i suggest you the same please do get the clear lens head lamps they make the car look more appealing not that its less appealing now but will make the car look way better!
rider60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2008, 13:49   #418
BHPian

I have a M800 (1992) which has done 110K on the Odo. It has a lot of sentimental value since it was my first car. Of late I am having a lot of trouble keeping it going. The body needs complete overhaul, the electricals too, FE is pretty bad, engine noise, AC is bust, steering rattles et al. I try to keep it in shape by getting the engine tuned and oil changed every now and then. Both my wife and I would be loathe to part with it. I was wondering if I could get it restored/modified in Kolkata. Does anyone know a trustworthy garage in Kolkata that can do the job? I went to a garage and they mentioned it would cost me about 20K to do the body including painting etc. I would also like to get the engine done and in short get it in as spanking a shape as possible. I would appreciate if the forum can give me some pointers regarding costs, kind of mod/restoration to can be done. The car is for normal city travel.
wheelsNsqueals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2008, 14:09   #419
BANNED

Buddy.

The best and the hassle free way to get your body job done is at the Maruti Authorised Service Centre.

Yes they are bit pricey, but eventually equal compared to some local mechanic shops.

Local guys screw up using low quality materials and over a period of time their work starts showing up.

Better stick to Maruti Authorised Service Centre.

Engine: Get a half engine changed there. Might cost you 18000 for this.

And overall costing would be around 45 - 50 k but thats a small price to pay for something thats emotionally attached.

My friend did the same with his 1990 M-800. Now it looks like a 2005 model as we gave it the new shape.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2008, 15:10   #420
BHPian

Edmund,

I have a small query? How much was the cost of adding disc brakes cost? Does this require extensive modification? I have a 1997 M800 & might think of adding discs in front.

Bala_R
Bala_R is offline   Reply With Quote