Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 28th March 2009, 18:08   #436
BHPian

Default Hey Edmund.....Lond Time No See

Hi Edmund,

You had a very interesting thread!

I was a total fan on your thread, however from a long time your have stopped posting updates of your SS80.

I would you request you to continue the trend & keep posting.....

You posts are bible to any SS80 owner

Hoping you start posting.
devrajman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2009, 13:07   #437
BHPian

Exclamation

@devraj: college has kept me very busy and very broke, i haven't done anything to the car hence the dwindling updates.
She'll be needing a new set of rubber soon so i guess i'll be back here to check what the best set would be! Other than that, i guess a long drive is in the offing and i will post pictures of that!

Thanks for following the thread!

cheers!

@blur: still no decent quality ORVM's man, the RS1800 ones look like they'll bolt up easily and match the 80's style of the car. I'll have to check to see if i can source them from the UK! Thanks for the heads up!

The embossed plates that i got made in bangalore, i love the effect of seriousness they lend to the vehicle!

PS: Are these plates available in Bombay?

Last edited by Technocrat : 30th March 2009 at 14:33.
Edmund is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2009, 13:26   #438
BHPian

they are available in Pune as well...
satya180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2009, 14:00   #439
BHPian

Default Still Shining.....

Man, ur car is still shining new!! :-D

Good to see you back on your thread.

I read your thread, however I didnt see much engine/suspension/etc work detail. Did you got any things fixed in your restore.

Also what other things to got repaired after the restore?

Also how do you source parts both mechanical/plastic/etc?
devrajman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2009, 14:58   #440
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satya180 View Post
they are available in Pune as well...
Whats available in pune? Stock 800 ORVM's!!! I know, but the plastics used are super low quality, they get brittle in a months time and the ball socket crumbles, leavin the mirror free to swivel and droop!
Edmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2009, 12:36   #441
BHPian

Edmund,

Hats off to you... I think you have done more than justice to this timeless beauty of Indian Automotive Industry...
The blue looks cool, the tints look amazing and so do the alloys.

I myself own a 1984 model M800 (SS80) since last 25 years... yes 25 years and have practically grown in the car.. We are planning to restore it to standards set by you (though plan to retain the originality of the beauty as much as possible). I have a few questions regarding some problems that I am facing with my M800.

1. Did u spruce up the front suspension. I have great difficulty with the front shocker plates. OEMs (SGP) not available and the local ones dont last long..

2. Did u buy new set of bumpers for your car or your dent beating guy did an amazing job with them.

3. Did u install an Air Con in the car. If yes, then does the car heat up lots or no.

I am right now gathering all spares that my car needs and once done will send it for restoration.

You have definately encouraged me to go ahead with the project.

Cheers and Thanks.

Ashish
ashishc100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2009, 12:05   #442
BHPian

Exclamation Another SS80 on the way??

@ashishc100: Thanks for the support man, all work on the car is currently on hold till i finish off with design school!!! I'm really glad to know that there will be another restored SS80 on the road!!

I understand your approach of wanting to keep it as original as possible, im a sucker for big rims and nice rubber, was tryin to enhance the aggressiveness of the late 80's design, and as good as it looks in pictures it hurts me to say that the painter was a overpaid jerk, i plan to do a once-over ala Chip Foose style when im thru with college! I am a perfectionist and this wouldnt even meet my lowest standards [if i had those!] and im not just talkin about pumping in huge amounts of dough, anyone can do that........its all about doing it right!

1. Did u spruce up the front suspension. I have great difficulty with the front shocker plates. OEMs (SGP) not available and the local ones dont last long..

Would what you're talking about be the rubber bushes atop the struts?

2. Did u buy new set of bumpers for your car or your dent beating guy did an amazing job with them.

Great condition to begin with, little denting!

3. Did u install an Air Con in the car. If yes, then does the car heat up lots or no.

No aircon, plan to put one in soon, you let me know when you do!

I am right now gathering all spares that my car needs and once done will send it for restoration.

You have definately encouraged me to go ahead with the project.

Best of luck with that man, keep us all here posted, document the build at every step!
Old 17th April 2009, 14:58   #443
BHPian

thanks edmund..
can you also tell me which brand of paint, basecoat, undercoat and clear u used.

I am planning to retain the red colour of my car but want to do a decent paint job.

About the A/C, have found someone who is ready to install a sanden kit with back condensor in the car with an upgraded blower. let me see how soon i can spare time from work and spend a day getting the A/C fitted.

About the shocker plates: Yes they are the same rubber bushes atop the struts you are talking about..
ashishc100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2009, 18:20   #444
BHPian

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishc100 View Post
thanks edmund..
can you also tell me which brand of paint, basecoat, undercoat and clear u used.
DuPont everything.....!
Old 28th April 2009, 19:13   #445
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi there Edmund! Long time no see Nice to see you back
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2009, 15:20   #446
BHPian

Edmund, this passion was simply superb and extremely well documented. Its one of the reasons I decided to finally sign up here. Keep up the great work and keep updating this thread.
Takumi-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2009, 17:45   #447
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund View Post
hey people ...... really really bad news ....... i've run short on cash and i'm sorry for over promising and under delivering but it's going to be another couple of months before we can have the wheels and tires ..she's out of the shop and the final pictures for now are .....

What's the Goa registered Esteem doing there in Pune?
pedrolourenco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2009, 19:48   #448
BHPian

Wow this is a long time for a restoration thread to be alive.

Edmund you have done a wonderful job with you car.

Did you get the RVMs ever?

I also liked the silver and black look of the alloys better.
Bailee_Jatt_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2009, 14:34   #449
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Great work Ed! indeed superb. I actually purchased an 800 with an intend to make it a little different. I am so glad that you took up first generation 800 to what it is.. I am planning on taking the present generation 800 to something else... I dont want a look alike of anything like people making swifts to look like mini or a 800 to have Mustang type stripes. I want to keep it orignal. Since they have stopped selling this car in many cities of india its soon to become a vintage... Look at what happend to Ambassador... its like all of a sudden you dont see our good ole ambassador and Padmini around... i think primary reason being most people dint care abt it and threw them away... i stil miss the contessa..!!
again good work!

Note from Mod : Please take the time to type out your posts in full words as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid the use of SMS language (dint = didn't, abt = about, etc), and please take the time to re-read your post for typos before submitting.

Last edited by Rehaan : 11th May 2009 at 04:13. Reason: Please see the note that has been put at the end of your post by the Support Team.
D-Man is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 9th May 2009, 10:57   #450
BANNED

Awesome ! Great Job Done.

I really like 800 considering being a zippy drive in City. I dont own any though.

However i am looking for a good deal in 800 in pune. But not sure how, when , where. It really doesnt bother me that it is discontinued by maruti.
idea1979 is offline   Reply With Quote