Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 20th June 2011, 07:35   #16

Default Re: Too many problems with my '08 Fiat Palio Stile. And now, engine seized at 25K kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
As GTO told first check the manufacturing year. If the car is much older than the delivery period, I think your half the problem gets solved.
And, in between you have mentioned about some accident repairs. How severe where the damages and whether that has any connection with AC, tyre wear etc. Kindly elaborate.

Where is the VIn number located, the car is with the service center can I obtain it from the service manual, or I shall have to go get the number.
coreolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011, 08:05   #17

Default Re: Too many problems with my '08 Fiat Palio Stile. And now, engine seized at 25K kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
Sorry to hear about the issues dear.
I have given the possibilities of each failure in Bold.

My suggestion - Legal way may be right & safe but I doubt that could solve the issue in time.

None taken

I am what you may call a sedate driver I use the clutch only to change gears rest of the time it is off the pedal.

What happened is that my vehicles mileage was 7 kmpl so my father took it to FIAT after a lot of " DISCUSSIONS" they decided that it was faulty and needed change. this was the first one at 4000 kms. I think the other two happened after approximately another 5000 kms each . I remember during a regular service or so when i said that the clutch was very hard, later the SA told me sir it was gone so we will change it. I spoke to the Service Manager and informed him that something is wrong why so many componenet changes blah blah he said don't worry we are there etc. But i distinctly remember him telling me, that clutches are a problem area with the MJD engines on stiles and they have now sorted them etc. etc. Maybe it was all customer talk talking

In sept 2009 they changed the steering column components etc. Last year the steering pump was changed . the air con unit in april 2010 and sometime in June 2010 the cooling tank leakage happened, the fan was changed sometime around that time itself.

There were no signs like temp going up or any other indications. Just that the exhaust would spew smoke in copious quantities.
Old 20th June 2011, 10:14   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivanoj View Post
legal is only way, though it takes time and money, but worth it, it will surely damage reputation of any car manufacturer, so they may come for compromise, but i doubt fiat. they think that customers are lazy enough, so they will stop the process once they sent legal notice. They take advantage of indian legal system.

dont lose hope, if direct communication does not work, only thing is legal. no other option, they did not provide car free of cost, so we have right to fight.

Has anybody read about what is happening to Mr Harish by skoda . I am horrified to be honest I am petrified what they are doing to their customers.

I will be a lil more frank I have a major chronic health condition. I am an organ transplant recipient. So I am kind of limited physically. Seeing what he is going through is heart breaking no one deserves it.

What I am sad about is the fact that they can do this to someone and the Judiciary is allowing this to happen.

Let me re evaluate my options.
Old 21st June 2011, 22:27   #19
Senior - BHPian

@ coreolis..

1)Did you fill adulterated fuel the last time? If yes, the smoke might be due this also (if kerosene was mixed in the Diesel, it would smoke since kerosene will not burn as efficiently as Diesel).

2)If the Engine was really ceased, how come you were able to start the engine leave alone driving to the service center.

3)Did you have to tow the vehicle to the Service Center? If not, I would suggest you take the car to a Local Garage and tell them the problem. They might give you another reason for the problem you reported (Belching smoke).

I smell that the FA$$ wants to make money out of you.
Please check the points I mentioned above.

Last edited by IndigoXLGrandDi : 21st June 2011 at 22:32. Reason: Rearranged the sequence of points.
IndigoXLGrandDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2011, 04:54   #20
BHPian

Hi Corealis,

you mentioned that your car was involved in an accident. of all the things that have happened, this could the your undoing.

what are the parts that were damaged? also, where were the repairs done? at the end of day, even if you take the legal route, fiat could come back saying that the workmanship was poor causing the issues and you will be left facing the dealer with questions.

I understand that you could have a lemon here and do sympathize, but just want to let you know that it is not uncommon for these failures to happen. whether or not the company owns up to this is a different story but hope all works out for you.

Regards,
Kiran.
lucifer919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2011, 17:35   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer919 View Post
Hi Corealis,

you mentioned that your car was involved in an accident. of all the things that have happened, this could the your undoing.

what are the parts that were damaged? also, where were the repairs done? at the end of day, even if you take the legal route, fiat could come back saying that the workmanship was poor causing the issues and you will be left facing the dealer with questions.

I understand that you could have a lemon here and do sympathize, but just want to let you know that it is not uncommon for these failures to happen. whether or not the company owns up to this is a different story but hope all works out for you.

Regards,
Kiran.

Hi ,

The accidents were dents etc the part replacement and painting job was all done by fiat under insurance , couple of times I have had deep scratches on the door panels usual stuff that happens in city traffic. The thing is that at every frequent interval some or the other problem would come up. Even I agree lemons happen it is a machine and can fail. But the thing is how does one go about solving it. Here they want to keep on changing parts. Mere changing of parts is not a solution. One thing is for sure FIAT quality has gone down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
@ coreolis..

1)Did you fill adulterated fuel the last time? If yes, the smoke might be due this also (if kerosene was mixed in the Diesel, it would smoke since kerosene will not burn as efficiently as Diesel).

2)If the Engine was really ceased, how come you were able to start the engine leave alone driving to the service center.

3)Did you have to tow the vehicle to the Service Center? If not, I would suggest you take the car to a Local Garage and tell them the problem. They might give you another reason for the problem you reported (Belching smoke).

I smell that the FA$$ wants to make money out of you.
Please check the points I mentioned above.
I drove the vehicle to the station for inspection and there after listening to the sound they decided that the timing chain was gone. After some time and change of timing chain they still couldn't solve the problem. Then it was decided to open the engine and thereafter all the defects surfaced.
I did not know that it has ceased they told me that the cylinders have grooves in them , the manifolds have gone and some other stuff. I went to the work shop and saw that the cylinders were grooved inside. Seems the engine has been burning Oil. It was the service adviser who had used the word ceased.

I buy fuel from two bunks generally and they are pretty decent. If they were giving adulterated fuel it would have surfaced earlier.

Last edited by Eddy : 24th June 2011 at 21:25. Reason: Please use the edit / multiquote option instead of posting back to back posts within 30 mins. Thanks.
Old 25th June 2011, 02:20   #22
BHPian

The black smoke would mean a blown head gasket probably//very easily the side effect of uverheating..this may have caused warpage in the cylinders..The only indication u get is the engine temp needle going to high values.
Joe-Ker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2011, 06:43   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreolis View Post
I drove the vehicle to the station for inspection and there after listening to the sound they decided that the timing chain was gone. After some time and change of timing chain they still couldn't solve the problem. Then it was decided to open the engine and thereafter all the defects surfaced.
Same thing happened to my friend's MJD. The oil would come down and the stupid folks at Carnation decided to put Synthetic Oil, instead of diagnosing the problem. Later it was found that the oil strainer/pump assembly was malfunctioning leading to all other issues. He got saved from engine seizing in time and spent around 80k with turbo still not replaced. Later my friend remembered that he had hit a small rock while moving to the shoulder of the road. The impact was just enough to dislodge the strainer assembly.

A sump guard is highly recommended for the 1.3 MJDs.
bejoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2011, 09:15   #24
Senior - BHPian

I have to say there is something seriously wrong with your car. It is what you would call the baap of lemons. Almost every manufacturer makes a certain number of lemons. But generally the problem area is limited to a few components, but not many things on your car seem to be problem free.

Do try and find out your VIN number, and find out how long the car has been with the dealer. He may have sat on it for very long and may even have ended up using the car for himself. Thus the car may have actually run a lot more than the 26thousand showing on the odo. The kind of constellation of problems your car is facing show that old age and abuse may be an issue.
julupani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2011, 10:51   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
I have to say there is something seriously wrong with your car. It is what you would call the baap of lemons. Almost every manufacturer makes a certain number of lemons. But generally the problem area is limited to a few components, but not many things on your car seem to be problem free.

Do try and find out your VIN number, and find out how long the car has been with the dealer. He may have sat on it for very long and may even have ended up using the car for himself. Thus the car may have actually run a lot more than the 26thousand showing on the odo. The kind of constellation of problems your car is facing show that old age and abuse may be an issue.
I love the word baap of lemons . Actually this is the second FIAT in the family we bought a ELX petrol in 2002 and that thing is a beauty we still have it, amazingly well built car, has aged gracefully as usual we have had it maintained via fiat service stations only ( very painful at times ) But all in all a good experience. When this one hit the market, I bought thinking that with Tata tie up and the MJD engine it shall be a dandy. But it hasn't been so.

I shall get the VIN once I am mobile kinda laid up right now.