Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2011, 17:58   #1
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 359
Thanked: 55 Times
Default Rain water leaking into the car (Getz Prime) on the front passenger side

Today I was stuck in a traffic jam on outer ring road and it was very heavily raining. Water started leaking into the car on the front passenger side at the place where the passenger's feet are placed. Water seems to be coming from somewhere behind the glove box. I first thought it was due to air vent open (in external air circulation mode), but changing it to internal circulation did not help.

It also appears that with wipers running at full speed, the water that was pushed aside by the wiper is coming inside. Something that should be blocking the water from coming inside is broken or missing. Any pointers please?
mohan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2011, 18:41   #2
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: chennai
Posts: 84
Thanked: 16 Times
Default Re: Rain water leaking into the car (Getz Prime) on the front passenger side

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
Today I was stuck in a traffic jam on outer ring road and it was very heavily raining. Water started leaking into the car on the front passenger side at the place where the passenger's feet are placed. ..... Any pointers please?
Hi Mohan,

I have a getz prime and I too faced a similar issue. Took it to the service center and they made a quick diagnosis and rectified it in short time. Basically it is leaves, dust that have collected over a period of time below the area through which the water drains. So since their main passage is blocked, they find an alternate route which is through the air entry for the AC blowers (I might be a little off the mark in the diagnosis though, since it was quite some time back I faced this issue).

Hope it helps.

cheers
ZedMae is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2011, 21:17   #3
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 359
Thanked: 55 Times
Default Re: Rain water leaking into the car (Getz Prime) on the front passenger side

Thank you @ZedMae. What you are saying could be a likely cause of the issue. However I was not experiencing this issue 2 months back, which is the last time I recall it was out in the rain. I will be able to take it to service center on Monday. Hopefully it will be a quick one to fix. Until then I can try some DIY for this!
mohan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2011, 11:51   #4
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 359
Thanked: 55 Times
Default Re: Rain water leaking into the car (Getz Prime) on the front passenger side

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedMae View Post
Hi Mohan,

I have a getz prime and I too faced a similar issue. Took it to the service center and they made a quick diagnosis and rectified it in short time. Basically it is leaves, dust that have collected over a period of time below the area through which the water drains. So since their main passage is blocked, they find an alternate route which is through the air entry for the AC blowers (I might be a little off the mark in the diagnosis though, since it was quite some time back I faced this issue).

Hope it helps.

cheers
@ZedMae, you were spot on about the cause of the issue. I opened the black cover where the rain water drains and found lot of dirt with small sticks and leaves. After I completely cleaned them, i could see some holes which were getting blocked by these dirt. Amazing the dirt can totally block flow of water like that. After cleaning, I poured lot of water there and all the water now comes out at the back of the left wheel. None of it now came inside the car.

Thank you again!
mohan41 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2011, 14:32   #5
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 26
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: Rain water leaking into the car (Getz Prime) on the front passenger side

I faced a similar issue yesterday with my BIL's Getz, I had parked in a parking and after the rain poured for 2 hrs and I came and saw that the car was sub-merged in water upto half of the wheels, apparently this was the lowest spot in that whole area. There was water in all of the floor bed, upto 4 inches high. Somehow, drove the car out of that and got the water removed. I don't know what exactly is passage of the rain water into the car since I was not there to see it coming in, it must have seeped in through the door gaps. Is there a T-Bhp pointer as to what should be done in such situations ?
DonnieDarko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2011, 18:15   #6
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: chennai
Posts: 84
Thanked: 16 Times
Default Re: Rain water leaking into the car (Getz Prime) on the front passenger side

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
@ZedMae, you were spot on about the cause of the issue. I opened the black cover where the rain water drains and found lot of dirt with small sticks and leaves. After I completely cleaned them, i could see some holes which were getting blocked by these dirt. Amazing the dirt can totally block flow of water like that. After cleaning, I poured lot of water there and all the water now comes out at the back of the left wheel. None of it now came inside the car.

Thank you again!
Wow. Glad you solved it the DIY way.

cheers
ZedMae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2011, 19:28   #7
Senior - BHPian
 
undead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bhavani - Komarapalayam
Posts: 1,187
Thanked: 165 Times
Default Re: Rain water leaking into the car (Getz Prime) on the front passenger side

I am facing the same issue on the driver side. can someone kindly point out where to find the water drain cover??
undead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2014, 10:42   #8
Newbie
 
CarCrazy7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 8
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: Rain water leaking into the car (Getz Prime) on the front passenger side

Hi Mohan, I have a Getz Gls and facing the same issue. Could you snap a pic of the water drain and send it to me. Its been raining heavy in Chennai and going to a Hyundai service centre is the last thing I wish to do. Look forward to your reply. I wish to resolve it myself. Thank you.
CarCrazy7 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2014, 11:18   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,356
Thanked: 815 Times
Default Re: Rain water leaking into the car (Getz Prime) on the front passenger side

Having owned a Getz, I have faced similar problems. I dont have any pictures to ellaborate the location of the water drain but if you remove the plastic cladding below the wipers, the hole is on the right side when facing the car. My memory tells me that it was on the navigators side only so am unsure how water seeps into the drivers side in Undead's car. Its good to ensure that area is cleaned often because the hole is quite small and gets blocked easily making it hard for the water to drain.
Fullrevs is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2014, 20:55   #10
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 359
Thanked: 55 Times
Default Re: Rain water leaking into the car (Getz Prime) on the front passenger side

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarCrazy7 View Post
Hi Mohan, I have a Getz Gls and facing the same issue. Could you snap a pic of the water drain and send it to me. Its been raining heavy in Chennai and going to a Hyundai service centre is the last thing I wish to do. Look forward to your reply. I wish to resolve it myself. Thank you.
As mentioned by @Fullrevs, if you remove the plastic cladding on the navigator side (you have to open the bonnet to access it IIRC), you will see a hole where you can put your fingers and remove any leaves and dirt that blocks the water drain hole.

I have sold off that car and it is not with me anymore to snap the pics from my car. I found a suitable image from internet and marked the area if that helps.
Attached Images
 
mohan41 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2014, 10:54   #11
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,356
Thanked: 815 Times
Default Re: Rain water leaking into the car (Getz Prime) on the front passenger side

Thanks Mohan. I have posted a similar picture in another thread (which strangely addresses the same problem). I was however not sure if the drain holes were on both sides. Thanks for clearing that up for me.
Fullrevs is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2014, 11:57   #12
Newbie
 
CarCrazy7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 8
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: Rain water leaking into the car (Getz Prime) on the front passenger side

Mohan41 and Fullrevs, I would like to thank both of you for helping me out here. I have for the benefit of any future reader, putting pictures of what i found and the post cleaned up pictures.

I am glad I could do it myself. On another note, is it a fair expectation that when you give your car for servicing, the service centre should clean this area ?

I found accumulated mud/dust of a long time.

I have posted pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Rain water leaking into the car (Getz Prime) on the front passenger side-img_0618.jpg  

Rain water leaking into the car (Getz Prime) on the front passenger side-img_0619.jpg  

Rain water leaking into the car (Getz Prime) on the front passenger side-img_0620.jpg  

Rain water leaking into the car (Getz Prime) on the front passenger side-img_0621.jpg  

Rain water leaking into the car (Getz Prime) on the front passenger side-img_0622.jpg  

CarCrazy7 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2015, 12:56   #13
BHPian
 
monster2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 77
Thanked: 5 Times
Default Re: Rain water leaking into the car (Getz Prime) on the front passenger side

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarCrazy7 View Post
Mohan41 and Fullrevs, I would like to thank both of you for helping me out here. I have for the benefit of any future reader, putting pictures of what i found and the post cleaned up pictures.

I am glad I could do it myself. On another note, is it a fair expectation that when you give your car for servicing, the service centre should clean this area ?

I found accumulated mud/dust of a long time.

I have posted pictures.

This post is a blessing, I stay in a different city, and my father was facing this issue with his car, I take the car to service, so it was difficult to point that issue with local mech, In fact I had this cover broken which i bought a new one, now this is a DIY I would to do when i reach Hyderabad to solve the problem. Thank to Team-bhp which helps us so much.
monster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2015, 13:07   #14
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 5
Thanked: 2 Times
Default Re: Rain water leaking into the car (Getz Prime) on the front passenger side

A very worthy discussion. This drain area if not cleaned periodically, will give way for rust formation. Thanks for all the participating folks. It was enlightening and made a good read.

Siddeeq
BIKE MANIAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rain, rain & even more rain...at Chandipur, Orissa gmhossain Travelogues 11 8th November 2014 22:46
Liquid dripping into front passenger area of Innova oldmobile Technical Stuff 0 26th December 2009 17:01
Getz prime 1.3 is overpriced than previous getz ( old one )? hrishig The Indian Car Scene 3 30th April 2007 10:29


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:38.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks