Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 10th February 2009, 20:32   #31
Senior - BHPian

that's because you said you don't even need to turn the key.....isn't that dangerous? car starts by itself.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2009, 17:17   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
that's because you said you don't even need to turn the key.....isn't that dangerous? car starts by itself.
You forget to read, the words followed by it.. "as i use to require to"..
Well its not rocket science for the car to start on its own.
I mean the amount of the key to turn, from ignition to ON
yatinchoubal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2009, 00:26   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yatinchoubal View Post
You forget to read, the words followed by it.. "as i use to require to"..
Well its not rocket science for the car to start on its own.
I mean the amount of the key to turn, from ignition to ON
read it again. You are still required to turn the key to turn it on.....anyway, that was in humor, which is lost by now
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2009, 02:21   #34
BANNED

Maruti recommends change of spark plugs after 20000kms.I think its best to follow the service shedule
binoyjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2009, 19:33   #35
BHPian

My Santro Nov 99 , 51K km , had only on change of spark plugs till I sold it In Jun 08. Never any problems. Mileage of 12.5kmpl in city driving with ac.

So have a look at the plugs your self before changing them. Company's keep giving you a lot of recommendations but sometimes it's best to read up on things and get involved yourself to decide what's good and wht's not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binoyjude View Post
Maruti recommends change of spark plugs after 20000kms.I think its best to follow the service shedule
darthvader5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2013, 11:55   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Life of a Spark Plug

Mods: Tried searching but couldn't find a relevant thread so creating a new one. In case one exists, please move the post.

Hello Members,

I have a 2010 Honda Stunner which has done about 14, 500 Kms. I have been using Castrol Power 1 Racing (fully synthetic) engine oil since last 10K kms or after running the engine for first 4500 kms on Honda engine oil.

It has stock NGK (CPR7EA-9) spark plugs. I noticed that the manual says to change the spark plug at 9K kms and I am reaching 14500 approx. now on the odo. Though there is no trouble in the bike, has nice pick up, no starting issues and consistently gives me around 60-65 KMPL, I would like to know if I should change the spark plugs now? In case yes, which spark plug will be better, NGK with the same rating or Bosch- UR6DC as stated in the manual.

Thanks,
Saket
saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2013, 12:39   #37
BHPian

Default Re: Life of a Spark Plug

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Mods: Tried searching but couldn't find a relevant thread so creating a new one. In case one exists, please move the post.

Hello Members,

I have a 2010 Honda Stunner which has done about 14, 500 Kms. I have been using Castrol Power 1 Racing (fully synthetic) engine oil since last 10K kms or after running the engine for first 4500 kms on Honda engine oil.

It has stock NGK (CPR7EA-9) spark plugs. I noticed that the manual says to change the spark plug at 9K kms and I am reaching 14500 approx. now on the odo. Though there is no trouble in the bike, has nice pick up, no starting issues and consistently gives me around 60-65 KMPL, I would like to know if I should change the spark plugs now? In case yes, which spark plug will be better, NGK with the same rating or Bosch- UR6DC as stated in the manual.

Thanks,
Saket
I have been pretty careless with maintaining my bike (2005 Unicorn).
Its run over 55000 Kms and touching close to 8 years with just minimal servicing (oil change, break pads, etc) but have never thought about the spark plugs. Still running on original.

How do we know when to change? I dont get any knocking or misfiring as yet.

Last edited by racer_m : 14th March 2013 at 12:40.
racer_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2013, 13:25   #38
BHPian

Default Re: Is it really necessary to change the Spark Plug every 10K KMS ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
I have not changed my Spark Plug for my Suzuki Samurai for past 7yrs and running good and done nearly 80,000kms does this happen...
I am in same boat, Not changed my Karizma's last 7 years and she still touches 125. (Not that I do that often, but once in a while to check the performance of my vehicle)

It does manage a handsome mileage of 40 KMPL too.

Last edited by TaurusAl : 14th March 2013 at 13:26.
TaurusAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2013, 15:26   #39
BHPian

Hi All, I just have a question regarding spark plugs, I use my 2010 Santro mostly for short trips to the city and other short trips here and there. Also the traffic while driving within the city is really bad, I think I average about 20kmph. So with all these factors in mind, would it stress the Spark plug more than usual and require changing the spark plug earlier than the recommended interval of 20,000 kms?
amrisharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2013, 16:40   #40
Senior - BHPian

^^^Probably still not required to change before 20k. Buts its best to open and check to be sure.

I for one have always used plugs more than the recommendation in the manual. But I have opened to inspect it. Once you know how to do that, you can estimate things pretty well.

No sense at all in wasting a perfectly good plug. I use them as long as the wear and gap seems within usable limits. Its not like engine oil where you can't really make out without proper analysis. Also, some brands would last longer than others.
Raccoon is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2013, 12:18   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Along with some other jobs in my bike at 16K (read a custom 16K service interval) I changed the stock NGK spark plug to Bosch (UR6DC) in my Honda Stunner/ CBF 125. Will not be able to comment on the performance increase because there were other jobs done too which included an oil change, hence although there is a certain improvement in performance, but do not know how much to attribute to the new spark plug.

Posting the pictures of the old & new spark plugs. Pardon me for the poor camera focus.

The old NGK: CPR7EA-9
Is it really necessary to change the Spark Plug every 10K KMS ?-ngk-sp.jpg

The New Bosch: UR6DC
Is it really necessary to change the Spark Plug every 10K KMS ?-bosch-sp.jpg
saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2013, 00:23   #42
Max
BHPian

Just changed spark plugs in my Honda City as suggested in service booklet (every 40,000 kms). Mechanic said there is still half life left in them.

Old Plug
Is it really necessary to change the Spark Plug every 10K KMS ?-spark1.jpg

New Plug
Is it really necessary to change the Spark Plug every 10K KMS ?-spark2.jpg

OLD + NEW comparison showing wear
Is it really necessary to change the Spark Plug every 10K KMS ?-spark3.jpg

Name:  spark4.jpg
Views: 1552
Size:  35.2 KB

Cost Rs.95/- each plug x 7 plugs + 300 labor.

Couldn't take out 1 plug as was kind of jammed and wasn't opening with normal force. We did not applied further pressure to keep it from breaking which may result in engine opening. I read online that apply some lube like wd-40 and leave it for a day and then try again. repeat the process till it opens normally. Will try this next time.

Do you guys have any suggestions on how to open jammed plug?

btw, I do feel tiny little bit of performance improvement which may be just psychological!

Last edited by Max : 14th December 2013 at 00:26.
Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2013, 01:48   #43
Max
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
btw, I do feel tiny little bit of performance improvement which may be just psychological!
Just completed 200 kms after changing the spark plugs and I can definitely say it with confidence that pickup and performance of the car has improved allot. I am happy that I changed them.

Still need to change one jammed plug. Any suggestions?
Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2015, 02:03   #44
BHPian

Maruti Suzuki recommends replacement of the spark plugs of SX4 at every 20,000 km.

The plugs were replaced at 20k service but not at 40k service. At 50k, I replaced the plugs with Mico FR6DC4 plugs (recommended in the Owner's Manual) bought from Maruti Genuine Spares. This plug has 0.8 - 0.9 mm gap and this has been explained in the manual with a drawing.

I checked the plugs that were taken out. They were not Mico FR6DC4! They were Champion RC8YC. Very little wear is seen on these plugs but these have a larger gap (1.2 to 1.4 mm)!.

My queries:

What is the original gap for Champion RC8YC plugs? I could not find through the internet. The Champion appears to be an American brand but I could not locate this model on their website. Or is this Champion different from the American brand Champion?

Can the original gap get enlarged during the working of the sparkplugs? I was expecting wear only at the corner (round edge) of the electrode. But can entire circular face of the electrode wear out?
Attached Thumbnails
Is it really necessary to change the Spark Plug every 10K KMS ?-img_20151129_015637.jpg  

Is it really necessary to change the Spark Plug every 10K KMS ?-img_20151129_015657.jpg  

Is it really necessary to change the Spark Plug every 10K KMS ?-img_20151129_015703.jpg  

Last edited by Rahul Bhalgat : 29th November 2015 at 02:09.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2015, 08:18   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
Maruti Suzuki recommends replacement of the spark plugs of SX4 at every 20,000 km.

The plugs were replaced at 20k service but not at 40k service. At 50k, I replaced the plugs with Mico FR6DC4 plugs (recommended in the Owner's Manual) bought from Maruti Genuine Spares. This plug has 0.8 - 0.9 mm gap and this has been explained in the manual with a drawing.

I checked the plugs that were taken out. They were not Mico FR6DC4! They were Champion RC8YC. Very little wear is seen on these plugs but these have a larger gap (1.2 to 1.4 mm)!.

My queries:

What is the original gap for Champion RC8YC plugs? I could not find through the internet. The Champion appears to be an American brand but I could not locate this model on their website. Or is this Champion different from the American brand Champion?

Can the original gap get enlarged during the working of the sparkplugs? I was expecting wear only at the corner (round edge) of the electrode. But can entire circular face of the electrode wear out?
Plug gap is dependent on engine specs and not make of the plugs. When installing new plugs it is essential to check the gap.
Plugs can have altered gaps due to heating and cooling action of the engine over time and that is why we do need to check the gaps over time.
The SX4 should have a gap of 1.1 mm. as per the denso suzuki website so your old plugs have expanded gap (But are you sure about 1.4 mm. That seems way too much). You should adjust the new plugs to 1.1 mm. accordingly.

Last edited by techiecal : 29th November 2015 at 08:29.
techiecal is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote