Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 29th November 2015, 19:40   #46
BHPian

Default Re: Is it really necessary to change the Spark Plug every 10K KMS ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by techiecal View Post
Plug gap is dependent on engine specs and not make of the plugs. When installing new plugs it is essential to check the gap.
Plugs can have altered gaps due to heating and cooling action of the engine over time and that is why we do need to check the gaps over time.
The SX4 should have a gap of 1.1 mm. as per the denso suzuki website so your old plugs have expanded gap (But are you sure about 1.4 mm. That seems way too much). You should adjust the new plugs to 1.1 mm. accordingly.
Thanks Techiecal.

Gap recommended for SX4 VVT is 0.8 to 0.9 mm. I bought the spark plug from Maruti Genuine Spares, specifically asking for SX4 VVT spark plug. It was the same make and midel as specified in the owner's manual. So fitted the plug without measurig the gap.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2015, 07:58   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
Thanks Techiecal.

Gap recommended for SX4 VVT is 0.8 to 0.9 mm. I bought the spark plug from Maruti Genuine Spares, specifically asking for SX4 VVT spark plug. It was the same make and midel as specified in the owner's manual. So fitted the plug without measurig the gap.
Yes, stick to the gap specified in your owner manual. However, it is always advisable to check even new pre-gapped plugs prior to fitting, as gaps can be thrown out of specs easily, for example if the plug fell or got knocked during packing.

Last edited by techiecal : 30th November 2015 at 08:01.
techiecal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2015, 09:38   #48
BHPian

Dont Diesel vehicles have a spark plug? I was told by my Renault SA that they dont !
BUXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2015, 10:10   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX View Post
Dont Diesel vehicles have a spark plug? I was told by my Renault SA that they dont !
The Diesel engines do not have spark plugs.

In the petrol engines, the spark plug is used for igniting the compressed mixture of air and petrol vapour.

In the Diesel engine, the air alone is compressed (but it is compressed more than that in the Petrol engine). As a result, the air becomes very hot. The Diesel is then injected in this hot air, through the Injector. The compressed air is so hot that the Diesel ignites instantly during the spraying.

Hence the Diesel engines do not need Spark Plug. The Petrol engines are known as Spark Ignition (SI) engines and the Diesel engines are Compression Ignition (CI) engines.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2015, 10:19   #50
BHPian

My T-Jet came with NGK Iridium spark plugs OE. Haven't changed yet. The car has done 58xxx kms and it is still going strong. Recently we had to open the spark plugs as a process for troubleshooting an issue and found that they were clean and dry. No soot or carbon deposits. The mechanic told me they are good to run several thousand kilometers more.
PatchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2015, 08:12   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
My T-Jet came with NGK Iridium spark plugs OE. Haven't changed yet. The car has done 58xxx kms and it is still going strong. Recently we had to open the spark plugs as a process for troubleshooting an issue and found that they were clean and dry. No soot or carbon deposits. The mechanic told me they are good to run several thousand kilometers more.
Iridium plugs are designed for much longer life than conventional plugs, without any maintenance. You might be able to go on for another 50xxx kms. if they have not been damaged when they were taken out. Iridium plugs are not to be cleaned with a wire brush or harsh solvents to maintain their longevity.
techiecal is offline   Reply With Quote