Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 2nd January 2014, 12:56   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Diesel Particulate Filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
Thank you. Is it true that some diesel cars in India come with DPFs? I thought the answer is no because the DPF will clog in no time with our fuel quality. And DPFs also need ultra-low sulfur diesel, which is not available in India at present. Or have I got that wrong and there is no connection between ULSD and DPFs?
I had heard one OEM had launched a higher end CBU with DPF but was quickly discontinued. DPF will clog faster due to lack of Passive regeneration in India due to the traffic conditions, the temperatures are not high enough to aid passive regeneration. However active regeneration (HC conversion across the DOC) will make sure the DPF will not clog. ULSD is preferred for DPF but not necessary, higher sulfur fuels will add additional PM to the DPF, however does not decrease the DPF efficiency, you may have to regenerate more frequently. However you can negate this by using non coated DPFs (for India), wherein soot mass it can hold will be much higher.

To answer your question, in Latin America for L6 emission norms, many OEMs are selling DPF fitted vehicles. The fuel sulfur level varies drastically in that region-50 ppm to 500 to 1800ppm. I would say 50ppm sulfur level is good enough for the DPF.
athalaga is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2014, 13:22   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
apparently CVs and Figo have it. Ford Diesels have it basically to meet BS4.
I seriously doubt that Vina. But let me confirm you. But AFAIK, no Ford car in India is equipped with a DPF. I shall confirm the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
-Post injection to Burn soot
Can someone elaborate this? Post injection is how much 'post'? I mean, let's say the usual injection happens at 168 deg of crank angle. Post injection would happen in the order of say, 172 deg? A comparison of before and after would throw us more light on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by athalaga View Post
higher sulfur fuels will add additional PM to the DPF
Am sorry, I am not able to follow this. What does PM exactly mean here? And I wouldn't mind you elaborating my questions above too and a brief write-up on your knowledge and experience with DPF in a concise manner. Would help us all
vvijay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2014, 16:07   #33
BHPian

Am sorry, I am not able to follow this. What does PM exactly mean here? And I wouldn't mind you elaborating my questions above too and a brief write-up on your knowledge and experience with DPF in a concise manner. Would help us all [/quote]

PM means particulate matter. Total Particluate matter consists of C-SOL+SOF+SO4--. SOL is solids( or Soot ot C), SOF is adsorbed hydrocarbons on the C and SO4-- the sulfate particles. With increased fuel sulfur, the SO4 content of the PM increases.

And I wouldn't mind you elaborating my questions above too and a brief write-up on your knowledge and experience with DPF in a concise manner.
Please let me know your queries, ill be able to answer them. I dont see the need to provide my background.
athalaga is offline   Reply With Quote