Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 3rd July 2011, 14:10   #16
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Sump guards : An extinct species?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
My Figo doesn't - and it is notorious for scraping every speedbraker in time.

So the question again - is it possible to put the sump guards after market?
Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
The sump guard in Punto helps a lot, as the front overhang and low placed bumper is prone to scraping. Even a slight hit does result in loud sound, but with no damage, thanks to the metal sump guard. The sump guard on my Punto is full of scratches and dents.
I will be very surprised if the front underpinnings of the engine scrape on a speed breaker. The part which will scrape is the center portion of the vehicle.
Ritz/figo/i20 have short front overhands, so danger is actually from stray rocks on road, or rocks thrown up by wheels, rather than speed breakers.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2011, 14:12   #17
Senior - BHPian

Sump guard is same as the engine guard?
If yes then Punto has one.

And yes I was thinking of posting it in GTO Liva test drive. But you can see not small but all of road under the hood. I was wondering how they will tackle the splashing of water an grime inside the hood.

Not all roads are good. And speed breakers in Bangalore are very bad. WE NEED SUMP GUARDS. Period.
download2live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2011, 14:21   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I will be very surprised if the front underpinnings of the engine scrape on a speed breaker. The part which will scrape is the center portion of the vehicle.
Running over pretty high speed breakers at speed, does make the sump vulnerable. IMHO.
dhanushs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2011, 14:31   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Running over pretty high speed breakers at speed, does make the sump vulnerable. IMHO.
It does. But at least the one on Corsa can take a pretty nasty hit well.

I had a chance to see the outer side of the guard during the last service; it had scratches, bends and what not. Of course, it doesn't take much to straighten it up.

So you can imagine how well it protects the engine.
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2011, 15:55   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The sump guard in Punto helps a lot, as the front overhang and low placed bumper is prone to scraping. Even a slight hit does result in loud sound, but with no damage, thanks to the metal sump guard. The sump guard on my Punto is full of scratches and dents.
In 5k I have yet to scratch it's belly as I am over protective of by punto's belly.

IT not only protects the sump but the transmission axle boots and engine belts from sand/water splashes. Although some people take advantage of the guard and believe that it would protect from every thing and drive over stones and rough patches like a raging bull. People dont realise if the guard gets badly damaged then it results in sump damage. The most common damage which I have come across two linea's was result of damaged guard which dented the sump and the bottom part of the sump holds the engine oil suction filter which gets squeezed resulting in engine oil starvation and engine seizure. Cost of repairs run in 40ks. This happens and can happen to any car without guard but some people thinks it makes them invincible and pay the price later.

If anyone hits the guard by any bad luck then do inspect or get it checked by the dealer as this kind of damage is not covered under guaranty. A.S.S will not cover the damage. Only way out to save some Vitamin M in case you do manage to damage the sump and engine gets screwed too is to replace the sump and guard sourced from a second hand parts dealer before claiming from the A.S.S. for the engine damage.
Randhawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2011, 16:14   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Ritz/figo/i20 have short front overhands, so danger is actually from stray rocks on road, or rocks thrown up by wheels, rather than speed breakers.
These are no ordinary speedbreakers, these are South Haryana's rural speedbreakers designed to slow down buses to 0 kph.

Last edited by .anshuman : 3rd July 2011 at 16:15.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2011, 17:53   #22
Senior - BHPian

Let me look it up from another perspective. Is there difference in sheet metal thickness / design of sump guard in newer vehicles? I also believe, sump guard is a value addition; specially in-case of Indian roads.

Spike

Last edited by SPIKE ARRESTOR : 3rd July 2011 at 17:54.
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2011, 18:03   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

While you are right about engine usually not the part hitting bumps - on really bad roads (i.e. usual Hyderabad roads) you never know.

For example - driving over a speedbraker that is very high in plcase and not so high in other places, or driving over roads with manholes rising 4-6inches from the ground bang in the middle of the road ....

In any case who would want mud sticking to engine parts and drying there? if corrosion must kill something sump guard is the thing. As you wrote in your very first email - it is sheer stupidity on the part of OEMs to not put it in the first place.
vina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2011, 19:53   #24
Senior - BHPian

After lot of research and a couple of visits to different markets (karol bagh, mayapuri, kotla) I wasn't able to get any sump guard for my swift. The closest I got to getting a sump guard was with one of the denters in mayapuri who agreed to put a metal plate beneath the oil sump however he was emphasizing a lot on the fact that he would have to take out the complete chamber and then fit it and himself wasn't in its favour.

Could anyone share that in case I do want to go ahead with getting a metal plate fit as a sump guard what all do I need to take care of. Reason I'm asking is because another guy at one of the auto markets said that there actually isn't any space to bolt any metal plate on and strongly advised against it i.e. drilling extra holes for bolts anywhere.

I did check out another thread where an aluminium sheet has been put up under an optra but reason I cannot get a similar job done is:
1. Too expensive for my pocket, it cost somewhere between 5k-6k where as the metal plate in mayapuri is going to cost 500 bucks only.
2. Since I'd be getting oil changed at 5k intervals removing such a big aluminium sheet and putting it back up would be a tedious task everytime, wouldn't a small metal plate mean less screws to hold it?
fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2011, 22:36   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Could anyone share that in case I do want to go ahead with getting a metal plate fit as a sump guard what all do I need to take care of.
Check Samurai's Grand Vitara ownership thread, he got custom made underbody protection, you may get some ideas.
Old 31st July 2011, 22:51   #26
BHPian

The engine bay of the Etios is so open that one can easily see the road from the top of the bay.

Question - (1) Is absence of the sump guard in the Etios really an issue? (2) Is there any place where we can get an after market sump guard fitted in Delhi
raj_srini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2011, 22:58   #27
Senior - BHPian

The Omni had some kind of sump guard plates. Though quite skinny, but it served the purpose to certain extent. I don't know if Maruti has done away with it in present gen Omnis..

Last edited by rajeev k : 31st July 2011 at 23:00.
rajeev k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2011, 23:01   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_srini View Post
The engine bay of the Etios is so open that one can easily see the road from the top of the bay.

Question - (1) Is absence of the sump guard in the Etios really an issue? (2) Is there any place where we can get an after market sump guard fitted in Delhi
Look under the car and see if there are any low placed parts like sump etc. Most cars do not come with a sump guard, it's won't be an issue unless you plan to take it to places with no roads.
Old 31st July 2011, 23:20   #29
Senior - BHPian

And this is the way through which generally rats get into and play havoc with wires and tubes.

But definitely one cannot seal the entire area tight, though sump guards are for a different purpose.
rajeev k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2011, 00:10   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Talking Re: Sump guards : An extinct species?

Quote:
Check Samurai's Grand Vitara ownership thread, he got custom made underbody protection, you may get some ideas.
Spoke with Motorcraft on this topic in mid 09 or such and it needed 7-8k besides the car being out of action for 2-3 days (which is never manageable)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
After lot of research and a couple of visits to different markets (karol bagh, mayapuri, kotla) I wasn't able to get any sump guard for my swift. The closest I got to getting a sump guard was with one of the denters in mayapuri who agreed to put a metal plate beneath the oil sump however he was emphasizing a lot on the fact that he would have to take out the complete chamber and then fit it and himself wasn't in its favour.
2. Since I'd be getting oil changed at 5k intervals removing such a big aluminium sheet and putting it back up would be a tedious task everytime, wouldn't a small metal plate mean less screws to hold it?
Even those kinda fellows asked me for no less than 5k - you got lucky. Just let me know how it fared on pt.2 above - no one except motorcraft was confident on this angle - and i never had the time to try out motorcraft
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote