Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 16th June 2016, 10:47   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Sump guards : An extinct species?

Reviving an old thread.

Searching for an engine sump guard for my Grand i10 came across this.

Is it worth it?
sidzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2016, 21:20   #32
BHPian

The i10 shown in the picture looks very different from the Indian spec one.

Have you got any other information on where to get these sump guards fabricated?

I am planning a Leh-Ladakh circuit this year on my Etios Liva/Swift, and would rather be safe than sorry on this part!
Sinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2016, 21:38   #33
BHPian

Even i asked the sales person at VW showroom at bangalore regarding the sump guard that was missing in Polo. He replied that the engine breathes well if there is no sump guard.
Not sure about his explanation though.Can anyone tell me if he has a valid point?
redcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2016, 22:34   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcruiser View Post
He replied that the engine breathes well if there is no sump guard.
Not sure about his explanation though.Can anyone tell me if he has a valid point?
No. That's him being very creative.

The sump guard is a victim of cost cutting. No other reasons other than that. And I guess the sump guard also reduces the ground clearance a bit in the spec sheet, which is very important for a car to sell here. LOL
deetjohn is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2016, 10:32   #35
BHPian

My 2009 Honda City doesn't have a sump guard. Moreover, like most Hondas, it has low GC.

In 2012, while driving to Nashik, I took a turn into a cafe, but misjudged the road ahead. As a result, a huge rock hit the oil sump. Since I was used to the underbody touching Mumbai's speed breakers, I ignored it. When I came out of the cafe an hour later, there was a huge puddle of oil under the car!

By this time, it was already 8 pm. Luckily Honda's roadside assistance was very helpful and efficient during the entire process. They arranged for the car to be towed to the nearest service center, and provided a car (Xylo) along with a driver to get us back to the hotel. The next morning, the Xylo was waiting outside the hotel at 9 am. The car was repaired and ready by 4 pm. This incident made me glad that I chose Honda!

But I feel that the sump guard should've been there in the first place, and manufacturers need to stop cutting costs in such vital areas.
Aaron:) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2016, 10:31   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinner666 View Post
The i10 shown in the picture looks very different from the Indian spec one.

Have you got any other information on where to get these sump guards fabricated?

I am planning a Leh-Ladakh circuit this year on my Etios Liva/Swift, and would rather be safe than sorry on this part!
Even I have been searching for some place, but I do not want to get it welded. I need something which can fit with the existing nuts and bolts, keeping warranty in mind.

Hope Hyundai reads this!
sidzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2016, 20:38   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcruiser View Post
Even i asked the sales person at VW showroom at bangalore regarding the sump guard that was missing in Polo. He replied that the engine breathes well if there is no sump guard.
The good thing about the Polo is that it is easy to retrofit a sump guard. You can order the one that the diesel 1.2 TDIs came with (not sure if the 1.5 TDI still does) and it should be a simple bolt on.

Talk to someone at VW A.S.S.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote