Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2011, 11:34   #1
BHPian
 
revved_up's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 688
Thanked: 209 Times
Unhappy One headlamp replaced. Now, both headlights look different!

Hello team,

Recently my car was involved in an accident and I had to get the left Headlight changed. Now, I have a strange problem that the right headlight looks very old in front of the new left headlight. In the night, the light from the new headlight is also much more brighter and crisp compared to the old one.

I have been using HID for about 2 years and I think because of that dust got in although i had made sure that the headlight was sealed properly.

Is there anyway I can get the old headlight cleaned so that the difference is not as much as it is right now. Not really willing to spend 2.5k to get another headlight since it works fine.

Also, if none of the above works out, is there any place in Delhi where i can sell my old headlight so that I can lessen the damage if I buy a new headlight.

Attaching picture of my car so that you all can get an idea what i am taling about.

Thanks in advance for your help!

One headlamp replaced. Now, both headlights look different!-06072011466.jpg

Edit: Mods I tried searching for a similar thread but could not find one, please move this post to any similar thread if it exists.

Last edited by revved_up : 6th July 2011 at 11:36. Reason: Typo
revved_up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2011, 11:56   #2
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Was PB, DL, HR , KA and Now GJ-1
Posts: 247
Thanked: 21 Times
Default Re: One headlight changed with a new one, now both headlights dont look same

On my last visit to FNG noticed that mechanic was washing the headlights of a ikon which came for a bulb upgrade. Headlights were washed with water and car shampoo & dried by placing them in sun & then blow drying with air. Headlights which were looking quite old started looking quite new.

I don't have any idea if washing the units will adversely effect the headlight assembly, but FNG confirmed that they have been cleaning the headlights in this manner for quite long and no one has reported any problem.
pankaj_sachdeva is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2011, 12:13   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
srishiva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 3,576
Thanked: 815 Times
Default Re: One headlight changed with a new one, now both headlights dont look same

There are threads where the headlights were scraped (with the right grit sandpaper) and cleaned to look like new. Try searching them.
srishiva is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2011, 12:14   #4
BHPian
 
revved_up's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 688
Thanked: 209 Times
Default Re: One headlight changed with a new one, now both headlights dont look same

Thanks Pankaj for your input! Just one query, what is FNG?
revved_up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2011, 12:15   #5
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Was PB, DL, HR , KA and Now GJ-1
Posts: 247
Thanked: 21 Times
Default Re: One headlight changed with a new one, now both headlights dont look same

Quote:
Originally Posted by revved_up View Post
Thanks Pankaj for your input! Just one query, what is FNG?
FNG = Friendly neighborhood garage.
pankaj_sachdeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2011, 12:21   #6
BHPian
 
revved_up's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 688
Thanked: 209 Times
Default Re: One headlight changed with a new one, now both headlights dont look same

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 6th July 2011 at 18:57.
revved_up is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 6th July 2011, 12:25   #7
Distinguished - BHPian
 
libranof1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: All over!
Posts: 3,721
Thanked: 2,808 Times
Default Re: One headlight changed with a new one, now both headlights dont look same

Quote:
Originally Posted by pankaj_sachdeva View Post
On my last visit to FNG noticed that mechanic was washing the headlights of a ikon which came for a bulb upgrade. Headlights were washed with water and car shampoo & dried by placing them in sun & then blow drying with air. Headlights which were looking quite old started looking quite new.
Is this a good idea? Wouldn't it affect the reflectors over time?

Remember how headlights/tail lamps lose their sharpness if water accumulates in the assembly.

Prolonged exposure to water thru' washing should eventually do the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
There are threads where the headlights were scraped (with the right grit sandpaper) and cleaned to look like new. Try searching them.
Do you mean the outer surface or the inner reflector one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by revved_up View Post
Attaching picture of my car so that you all can get an idea what i am taling about.
You might want to do something about the fog lamp too (the right one)!
libranof1987 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2011, 12:35   #8
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Was PB, DL, HR , KA and Now GJ-1
Posts: 247
Thanked: 21 Times
Default Re: One headlight changed with a new one, now both headlights dont look same

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Is this a good idea? Wouldn't it affect the reflectors over time?

Remember how headlights/tail lamps lose their sharpness if water accumulates in the assembly.

Prolonged exposure to water thru' washing should eventually do the same.
I don't have any first hand experience of cleaning on my car though as per FNG this should be one time job for cleaning and headlights will neither have any prolonged exposure to water nor the mechanic was letting the water accumulate in the assembly.

In-fact after drying the headlight assembly properly, mechanic installed the bulbs and turned them on for few minutes so that he can see if some evaporation is present in the unit.
pankaj_sachdeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2011, 12:39   #9
Distinguished - BHPian
 
dhanushs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bathery/BLR
Posts: 3,446
Thanked: 4,054 Times
Default Re: One headlight changed with a new one, now both headlights dont look same

Quote:
Originally Posted by revved_up View Post
Is there anyway I can get the old headlight cleaned so that the difference is not as much as it is right now.
The best you can do to clean the HL assy is to remove it, remove the bulbs, and the soak the same in soap water, rinse, and replace. Well, even by this method, you can get only a level of perfection, and will NOT match the new ones. Further, if the plastic is faded, which is normally the case in Swifts, even the above method will not help much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by revved_up View Post
Also, if none of the above works out, is there any place in Delhi where i can sell my old headlight so that I can lessen the damage if I buy a new headlight.
Now, this is definitely a cost effective way. I'm sure, delhi bhp'n can shed soem light on where you can go to sell off old HL assy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pankaj_sachdeva View Post
was washing the headlights of a ikon which came for a bulb upgrade.
Apart from just soaking it up and rinsing, you really cant access all parts of the insides of the HL assy of an IKON.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Remember how headlights/tail lamps lose their sharpness if water accumulates in the assembly.
Yes, but in the case of an already faded HL Assy, there will be a slight improvement. Brand new ones will fade.

Last edited by dhanushs : 6th July 2011 at 12:45.
dhanushs is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2011, 13:06   #10
BHPian
 
goingout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 217
Thanked: 188 Times
Default Re: One headlight changed with a new one, now both headlights dont look same

Try to get a headlight restoration kit and give it a go. Here's a demo:



And


Last edited by goingout : 6th July 2011 at 13:13.
goingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2011, 14:44   #11
Senior - BHPian
 
thedreamcatcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Dubai
Posts: 1,205
Thanked: 61 Times
Default Re: One headlight changed with a new one, now both headlights dont look same

It visibly looks discoloured. Most probably due to dust accumulation on the inside.

Instead of sandpaper, one can also try ScratchOut liquid. You can wipe the liquid on the surface area and then use a cloth to rub it across in a buffing motion. Once done, you can then take a lint free cloth and wipe the surface again. This should remove hard grime and stains and make the glass more clear. Worked well on my Accent
thedreamcatcher is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2011, 16:58   #12
BHPian
 
revved_up's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 688
Thanked: 209 Times
Default Re: One headlight changed with a new one, now both headlights dont look same

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher View Post
It visibly looks discoloured. Most probably due to dust accumulation on the inside.

Instead of sandpaper, one can also try ScratchOut liquid. You can wipe the liquid on the surface area and then use a cloth to rub it across in a buffing motion. Once done, you can then take a lint free cloth and wipe the surface again. This should remove hard grime and stains and make the glass more clear. Worked well on my Accent
Thanks for the reply. Pardon my ignorance, but would I be able to do this by putting my hand through the place where the bulb goes in?
revved_up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2011, 17:49   #13
Senior - BHPian
 
thedreamcatcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Dubai
Posts: 1,205
Thanked: 61 Times
Default Re: One headlight changed with a new one, now both headlights dont look same

Quote:
Originally Posted by revved_up View Post
Thanks for the reply. Pardon my ignorance, but would I be able to do this by putting my hand through the place where the bulb goes in?
Absolutely not. And it would be like building a ship in a bottle .

The procedure I have mentioned above is for the external surface of the headlights

Last edited by thedreamcatcher : 6th July 2011 at 17:52.
thedreamcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2011, 17:58   #14
BHPian
 
revved_up's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 688
Thanked: 209 Times
Default Re: One headlight changed with a new one, now both headlights dont look same

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher View Post
Absolutely not. And it would be like building a ship in a bottle .

The procedure I have mentioned above is for the external surface of the headlights
Well, IMHO, I dont think the lights are dirty from the outside. So, might have to resort to interior cleaning techiniques like.. blowing pressurized air etc. I really hope I could sell this light in some second hand market or some garage.. and put some more money in and buy a new one. Dont really want to invest 2.5k on a new headlight. :(
revved_up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2011, 20:16   #15
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bombay
Posts: 60
Thanked: 33 Times
Default Re: One headlamp replaced. Now, both headlights look different!

Hey, try this simple solution. This guy has used just a bit of normal toothpaste and a cloth to clean his headlights.



I hope this works for you too!

Aalok
aalokg is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The 'Garage dilemma' thread : Buy / sell / keep / shuffle my cars thoma What Car? 232 1st September 2017 16:53
Different Service Schedules for Different Cars Vishesh Technical Stuff 22 15th August 2012 17:07
OHC Vtec vs Baleno (both stock) - which one is faster to the ton and beyond? BlackPearl Technical Stuff 196 8th December 2007 10:43
How different fuel brands work on different cars-Fifth gear video nitrous Technical Stuff 2 18th March 2007 12:05
Different Speaker Brands = Different sound for same/similar music ? normally_crazy In-Car Entertainment 10 29th August 2006 12:05


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 15:09.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks