Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 31st May 2013, 14:57   #31
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Ford Figo steering problems

If it's a recent change you have noticed then it's simple. What you described is exactly what happens when the tyre pressure is low. It just feels sloppy and laboured to drive.

Increase it to 32 psi and see if it helps.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2013, 15:01   #32
BHPian

Default Re: Ford Figo steering problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_trooper View Post
this is a call to any Figo owner/user/friend of troubled figo owner who sees this.

I had issues initially in the steering for my Figo.

Please refer post - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post2402996 for the issue

Quote:
I had an issue with the gear shift. It was too hard for the 1st and 2nd gears. So i had taken it to the showroom - Cauvery Ford and they did some torque and cable adjustment and it was back to normal.

But the steering has become lighter after this. Now i can move around the steering at low speeds till 40 kmph upto 30 degrees from the central position without the car moving left or right.

Check the picture below: The arrows indicate what's happening

Is this normal behaviour? If not what is to be done?
And the problem was due to a leak in the steering rack assembly - refer post http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post2409188.
Once it was rectified, the feel returned and i am still happy with my Figo's steering.

Quote:
Hi Guys,

I had a problem with the steering

To give a recap - My figo's steering was feeling very light at speeds upto 40 kmph and i was able to rotate the steering upto 30 degrees without the car turning at all.

I took the car to Cauvery Ford where they drove the car and did an inspection. First they said that everybody wants a lighter steering so it should be ok but they would check anyways. I told them that the steering feels different from before and as such they need to resolve it.

The SA found that the Steering Rack Assembly had a leak and then they replaced it under warranty (My car is 4 months old). Now the steering is back to its original behaviour.

Just wanted to bring this to everybody's notice in case the same thing happens to fellow teambhpians.
Also the steering feel may be lighter in the newer Figos as the aam janta wants only lighter steering ala Hyundai.

Check out if this helps in anyway.
achilles101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2013, 00:35   #33
BHPian

Default Re: Ford Figo - Steering Problem

Thanks for your replies everyone. i have driven the car with tyre pressure at 28psi on the wheels etc but never felt any sensitive at the wheel.

I understand the effort on the steering will be lesser with higher tyre pressures, but who wants to run with over inflated tyres when the company recommends only 30 psi all round for 1-3 people?

Yeah, most of my regular routes are also sort of Bolero territory. Does anyone have knowledge to share on essential wheel alignment intervals?

I usually run 31 on all wheels. Can anyone confirm or point me to a thread that discusses 32 being optimal?

I know the steering feels different as there was never a noticeable resistance at low speeds. To elaborate, I hate the i20s steering feel. So I understand the greater effort required for the Figo, Skodas etc.
Also, I FEEL that the steering now needs to be turned a half a turn more for every low speed maneuver, whether its going round the street or parking the car etc.
the_trooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2013, 14:51   #34
BHPian

Just to clarify, Ford called me back to the workshop.
Must also add here that I am happy to deal with MPL ford and Mr.Gerald.

Anyway, this time they took the torque values for every 90degrees of steering turn. Effort thought was between 4.5 to 5Nm. Acceptable value is 5.6Nm.
For my satisfaction, they put it on a ramp and checked the rack for leakages. No problems there. No damaged rims either.

Since there is no conclusive evidence of a problem (from the scientific method and readings), Mr.Gerald says my steering if fine and my feel could be due to a variation on the road surface.
Old 3rd June 2013, 18:49   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your replies everyone. i have driven the car with tyre pressure at 28psi on the wheels etc but never felt any sensitive at the wheel.

I understand the effort on the steering will be lesser with higher tyre pressures, but who wants to run with over inflated tyres when the company recommends only 30 psi all round for 1-3 people?

Yeah, most of my regular routes are also sort of Bolero territory. Does anyone have knowledge to share on essential wheel alignment intervals?

I usually run 31 on all wheels. Can anyone confirm or point me to a thread that discusses 32 being optimal?

I know the steering feels different as there was never a noticeable resistance at low speeds. To elaborate, I hate the i20s steering feel. So I understand the greater effort required for the Figo, Skodas etc.
Also, I FEEL that the steering now needs to be turned a half a turn more for every low speed maneuver, whether its going round the street or parking the car etc.

I usually run with 33 psi in all my tyres as I do car pooling all the time. I maintain the same psi when driving alone as well. OT - I drive an ikon with standard tyre size. Am i running too much psi?
Catalyst_delhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2013, 15:32   #36
Senior - BHPian

Can any Figo owner confirm there is a slight play when the steering wheel is pulled towards you.
The other day the guy who I visit for a car wash who also worked for Metro Ford while adjusting the seat, tugged on the steering wheel and it moved a click forward, something like reach adjustment of the steering, but by half an inch.
My steering is perfectly okay otherwise and no rattle or vibrations of any sort.

When I tried, I couldn't do the same probably because I did not force it and didn't want to either.

Regards
tharian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2013, 09:28   #37
BHPian

My problem seems to have been solved.
I recently onserved that the rear right tyre was dropping more pressure compared to the other three during weekly checks (31-->18, vs 31-->29 on other tyres).
It turns out there was a nail lodged in it, causing a leak.
Anyway, I m posting this here just in case some other new figo owners come around looking for a solution to their sloppy steering feel.
My steering is good, back to having fun plastering the car around corners, and I m pleased as peach.

Quote:
Just to clarify, Ford called me back to the workshop.
Must also add here that I am happy to deal with MPL ford and Mr.Gerald.

Anyway, this time they took the torque values for every 90degrees of steering turn. Effort thought was between 4.5 to 5Nm. Acceptable value is 5.6Nm.
For my satisfaction, they put it on a ramp and checked the rack for leakages. No problems there. No damaged rims either.

Since there is no conclusive evidence of a problem (from the scientific method and readings), Mr.Gerald says my steering if fine and my feel could be due to a variation on the road surface.