Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 14th July 2011, 10:57   #31
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Too many problems with my new Chevrolet Optra Magnum

Man, this just takes all the fun out of owning a new car!

You could setup a 2 minute window in the morning where you send out a single line reminder email to all IDs from GM you have.

Of the problem though, for everyone here, could it be that instead of everything sending signals to the ECU being faulty, the ECU itself is the culprit?
mayankk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2011, 11:04   #32
BHPian

Did they enter all the tasks they have done in their chevy database? If not then ask them to do it first, photos cant be a proof. When done ask for a new car, yes its going to take time but why should you waste your hard earned money on a new lemon.

If its too time consuming get it repaired and atleast get a letter from the company that if any problem accurs in future in a span of 1year they have to replace your car with new one. I always advise my friends not to drive a diesel car in low fuel.

More over which company has not sold a lemon to its customer including honda,toyota,skoda.. Its one in a lakh case these things happen.
brraj is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2011, 11:36   #33
BHPian

Yes you are absolutely right, its a new vehicle and I know it has a 2 year warranty. There are a few noobs working at Soham and what if they dont assemble the gearbox properly, I might have many problems due to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
While the no start issue was bad enough,
I think sreeji's main concern or grouse with Soham is that they have opened the gearbox for the speedometer issue without informing him or obtaining his permission. Therefore he needs the relevant assurances from GM
sreejinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2011, 11:47   #34
BHPian

They told me that they have to send pictures of their job to GM when they have to do such a job. So I guess it has to be in the Chevy database. But I'll ask them about it and will make sure it there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brraj View Post
Did they enter all the tasks they have done in their chevy database? If not then ask them to do it first, photos cant be a proof. When done ask for a new car, yes its going to take time but why should you waste your hard earned money on a new lemon.

If its too time consuming get it repaired and atleast get a letter from the company that if any problem accurs in future in a span of 1year they have to replace your car with new one. I always advise my friends not to drive a diesel car in low fuel.

More over which company has not sold a lemon to its customer including honda,toyota,skoda.. Its one in a lakh case these things happen.
Old 15th July 2011, 08:13   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejinair View Post
So I guess it has to be in the Chevy database. But I'll ask them about it and will make sure it there.
Assumptions and guesses are bad; do you think they will be honest in their reply? If this had happened to me, I would hire a lawyer to send a legal request asking for the diagnostic and part-replacement report. The letter would not explicitly threaten a legal action, the lawyer is simply asking for a report on behalf of his client. Even if you don't get anything from the dealership, it goes on record and this would help immensely if things later go from bad to worse.

You have purchased a car and that is a pure business deal, keep it that way and be a professional customer. And don't forget that the legal /corporate of big companies are also reading such threads with interest !!!
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2011, 09:33   #36
Senior - BHPian

Hi Sreeji, feel very sorry for you. One query though, while you did the PDI, didn't you get even a whiff that you are being offered a lemon? The rust on the underbody should have set the alarm bells ringing. Its very unfortunate to see the gear box on a brand new car being opened & that too without your consent. Anyways we have no control now on what has happened, but tread every step with utmost caution from here on. Nothing doing on your car without your consent.
AutoIndian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2011, 11:44   #37
BHPian

The rust was not under body, it was on a 1 inch part under the hood which links a pipe. I'll take a picture and will post it here once I get the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Hi Sreeji, feel very sorry for you. One query though, while you did the PDI, didn't you get even a whiff that you are being offered a lemon? The rust on the underbody should have set the alarm bells ringing. Its very unfortunate to see the gear box on a brand new car being opened & that too without your consent. Anyways we have no control now on what has happened, but tread every step with utmost caution from here on. Nothing doing on your car without your consent.
You are right, they might not tell me the truth. I did ask them though and they said yes it is updated in the Chevy database. When I asked him for a copy, he said that he'll have to go through a big chain of authorities before he could get me the report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
Assumptions and guesses are bad; do you think they will be honest in their reply? If this had happened to me, I would hire a lawyer to send a legal request asking for the diagnostic and part-replacement report. The letter would not explicitly threaten a legal action, the lawyer is simply asking for a report on behalf of his client. Even if you don't get anything from the dealership, it goes on record and this would help immensely if things later go from bad to worse.

You have purchased a car and that is a pure business deal, keep it that way and be a professional customer. And don't forget that the legal /corporate of big companies are also reading such threads with interest !!!

Last edited by GTO : 17th July 2011 at 16:41. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing back to back posts.
Old 15th July 2011, 12:44   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejinair
You are right, they might not tell me the truth. I did ask them though and they said yes it is updated in the Chevy database. When I asked him for a copy, he said that he'll have to go through a big chain of authorities before he could get me the report.
Tell them that big chain or huge chain or gigantic chain. You want a copy of what was entered in the chevy database. That would be a valuable piece of evidence to hold in case things go from bad to worse.
mdsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2011, 13:10   #39
BHPian

Hi Sree,

Very sorry for this experience you had to go through. One thing I wanted to ask you, Has your car been registered in your name? Because if not, the same thing happened with a Cousin when he took delivery of his Cruze and the speedo and complete electrics stopped functioning after 2 days. He got a brand new replacement car the very next day after talking to the Zonal After Sales manager. If your car hasn't been registered then you can ask them to either give back your money or get you a replacement car.

Cheers.
tusharsethi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2011, 13:27   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tusharsethi View Post
Hi Sree,
If your car hasn't been registered then you can ask them to either give back your money or get you a replacement car.
Sree, you should start with pushing for replacing the car. Registered or not. And then see where it goes.

OT: Rare to see unregistered cars on Delhi roads now. Can one take out the car and get it registered after a few days, as an extra safeguard against experiences like this?
Poitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2011, 13:28   #41
BHPian

Had a talk with Regional Manager of General Motors India (West) and he said that information cannot be shared with the customer. I'll have to take an attorney to get that information. But I think I wont because I already got what I demanded for an assurance from GM on paper that they will be liable for a brand new gearbox if anything happens to the vehicle because of the gearbox or anything happens to the gearbox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
Tell them that big chain or huge chain or gigantic chain. You want a copy of what was entered in the chevy database. That would be a valuable piece of evidence to hold in case things go from bad to worse.
Old 15th July 2011, 13:34   #42
BHPian

Hello guys thank you all for your support. I really appreciate your concern for another teambhpian and I'll do everything in my power to help every teambhpian whenever I can. I had a word with the Regional Manager of GM (West) and I've received a written assurance from GM (on paper) stating that they will be liable for a brand new gearbox if anything happens to the vehicle because of the gearbox or anything happens to the gearbox. I'll keep you updated on this thread and will also start an ownership thread very soon. Once again I would like to thank everyone of you for your support. Cheers!!
Old 15th July 2011, 13:58   #43
BHPian

Sreeji, I can understand how you feel. To go through all this in a brand new car is not what one expects after shelling out money.

I concur with some of the above posts and think you should pursue for a new replacement vehicle. What is the guarantee that such things will not repeat in future?

Do keep us posted on how thing go.

Just when the Magnum Optra was being recommended over other cars in few threads, we hear about these problems which is very unfortunate.
fuel_addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2011, 16:41   #44
BHPian

I still think its a very good vehicle, there are many people in our city who I've personally asked and they dont have any such problems. May be minor electrical issues like Blinkers and all. But not this big. Although I honestly feel that we dont have good mechanics in our city inside or outside of the dealer workshop.

* Guys I forgot to answer your question, yes the vehicle is registered on my name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
Sreeji, I can understand how you feel. To go through all this in a brand new car is not what one expects after shelling out money.

I concur with some of the above posts and think you should pursue for a new replacement vehicle. What is the guarantee that such things will not repeat in future?

Do keep us posted on how thing go.

Just when the Magnum Optra was being recommended over other cars in few threads, we hear about these problems which is very unfortunate.
Old 13th August 2011, 03:39   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
+1 to Poitive's request. As Optra is a strong consideration, I'm worried if I would also face similar problems. The potential problems I need to be aware after reading this thread
- Rusting (Is Optra prone to rusting like our infamous 118-NE)
- Car abused before delivery
- A.S.S quality
- Parts availability, especially "baby" parts for the Optra say 4 years from now?
Rusting: It should not be an issue. IIRC the 118NE, had quite a thin sheet of metal and there were some design issues. Have spoken to a few people who have had the car for a few years. Also done some research on the forum. IIRC no reports of rusting. A member's uncle has also had one for 130K kms and only regular servicing was done.

Cars waiting for delivery are often used as TD vehicles. Try and buy it from a dealer who doesn't have one in stock and would order if from the factory. Try and keep a check on when the car arrives. Take delivery asap.

A$$ isn't supposed to be like a Toyota for sure. But isn't a Skoda either. It seems to be inconsistent, so you may have to try out more than one service centre. Maintenance cost is meant to be pretty low for a car of it's size.

From what I have gathered, parts should not be a problem, even after a few years. A member who as a Corsa Sail too reported that he has no issues. No idea of baby parts in particular, but I don't see that as an issue, as GM has spend a lot in improving it's image on cost of maintenance. Don't think they'll fritter it away; especially since they are here for the long haul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Any further clarification on this matter would be highly appreciated.
Over time, I came across a few posts by Sreeji which seemed to have the same text (a copy-paste job, I presume) on various threads on the Optra (including a tyre thread IIRC). My GUESS is that he posted that in almost all threads which had anything to do with the Optra. So that would have been seen as spam, leading to action.

Last edited by .anshuman : 23rd August 2011 at 11:34. Reason: Removed a deleted post which was quoted. Thanks
Poitive is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote