Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2011, 22:35   #16
Distinguished - BHPian
 
dhanushs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bathery/BLR
Posts: 3,446
Thanked: 4,055 Times
Default Re: HUGE clunk sound during reversing in my Toyota Altis

If parking brakes are drum as SirAlec pointed out, then the sound is indeed coming from them getting stuck.

" For some reason, I felt it might be the brakes,so pumped the brakes a little and then tried again. Initially there was resistance but later I heard a "thwang" and the car moved normally. I stopped again and checked the underside, suspensions etc. Grossly, they looked normal. I restarted the car and took her for a spin. She rode normally "


Source: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post2424467 (Long-term Parking: Do's and Don'ts)

Another case where the same sound is heard, and the park brakes are drum type.


Quote:
Originally Posted by D33-PAC View Post
I've googled about this and the fault seems to be witht the CV joints or the transmission mounts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
If CV joints go bad then a continuous "clack clack" sound comes from the front wheels. CV joints dont go bad so fast, it should last for 100000+ kilometers.
If the CV joints are shot, you will hear the 'kat-kat-kat' sound when the steering is on full lock and front wheels are driven.

@dot, CV joints indeed last long, but then, if the boot is damaged, the life will be drastically reduced. That is why, it is very important to check the condition of drive-shaft boot every now and then, especially during routine service.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2011, 10:58   #17
BHPian
 
D33-PAC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 834
Thanked: 844 Times
Default Re: HUGE clunk sound during reversing in my Toyota Altis

Thank you everyone, for the replies.
I'm going to check the boot today and see if there is a tear or some kind of damage. If the boot is completely sealed(not torn) then I shouldn't worry about the CV-joint correct?
D33-PAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2011, 12:51   #18
BHPian
 
fuel_addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 688
Thanked: 111 Times
Default Re: HUGE clunk sound during reversing in my Toyota Altis

You might try not using the handbrake overnight and check if the problem persists. I experience similar problems in my Swift sometimes when handbrake is engaged and car not used for few days. The problem occurs only in monsoon which suggests the handbrake does not dis-engage immediately when you release it.

I would rule out transmission mounts going bad since you say the car runs smoothy.
fuel_addict is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2011, 22:20   #19
BHPian
 
D33-PAC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 834
Thanked: 844 Times
Default Re: HUGE clunk sound during reversing in my Toyota Altis

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
You might try not using the handbrake overnight and check if the problem persists. I experience similar problems in my Swift sometimes when handbrake is engaged and car not used for few days. The problem occurs only in monsoon which suggests the handbrake does not dis-engage immediately when you release it.

I would rule out transmission mounts going bad since you say the car runs smoothy.
Well I can't really cease using the handbrake because the car is parked on a somewhat uneven area. I see you also have an Altis, have you ever experienced anything like this?
D33-PAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2011, 22:42   #20
BHPian
 
fuel_addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 688
Thanked: 111 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by D33-PAC

Well I can't really cease using the handbrake because the car is parked on a somewhat uneven area. I see you also have an Altis, have you ever experienced anything like this?
No, I haven't experienced this in my Altis. You should have this checked at the service centre.

Do you see the rear (or front) discs showing any signs of rusting?
fuel_addict is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2011, 03:44   #21
BHPian
 
speedfreak7116's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 212
Thanked: 5 Times
Default Re: HUGE clunk sound during reversing in my Toyota Altis

Hi,

You could getting the sound due to a lot of reasons. It could be something in your boot space moving around, could be handbrake fault, a worn out drive shaft, burnt clutch or even suspension failure. Do a thorough check and find the fault before it leads to more serious damage.
speedfreak7116 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2011, 08:21   #22
Senior - BHPian
 
R2D2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Punya Nagari
Posts: 1,894
Thanked: 1,136 Times
Default Re: HUGE clunk sound during reversing in my Toyota Altis

Quote:
Originally Posted by D33-PAC View Post
Here's what happens:
Turn car on -> Release Handbrake -> Put gear in R -> Slowly release clutch -> Car moves an inch back -> CLUNKKKKKKKK.
My car (a 2008 Altis) makes this loud CLUNK noise after it is parked overnight or a long time after a wash.

It is the calipers that stick to the disc rotors when water goes in and dries causing a light coat of rust on the rotors. Don't worry too about it, nothing has broken. It is not serious as long as you dont find any drag on the car once the noise goes away and you make sure the parking brake lever/handle is completely released.

Unlike the 9g Corolla that has a small drum assembly @ the rear for parking brake, IFAIK the Altis parking brake assembly actuates the rear brake calipers.

In fact now that you brought this up I will get the assembly checked during the next service due in Oct as I can hear some light scraping noise from the RHS wheel whilst driving in a silent area and past a wall when the noise reflects off the wall making it easier to hear.

Regards,

Last edited by R2D2 : 19th July 2011 at 08:23.
R2D2 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2011, 08:41   #23
BHPian
 
D33-PAC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 834
Thanked: 844 Times
Default Re: HUGE clunk sound during reversing in my Toyota Altis

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
No, I haven't experienced this in my Altis. You should have this checked at the service centre.

Do you see the rear (or front) discs showing any signs of rusting?
No , nothing is rusting on the car. But I think it's not too big of a problem , as R2D2 says.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreak7116 View Post
Hi,

You could getting the sound due to a lot of reasons. It could be something in your boot space moving around, could be handbrake fault, a worn out drive shaft, burnt clutch or even suspension failure. Do a thorough check and find the fault before it leads to more serious damage.
It's just a little problem with the handbrake as R2d2 says, and I'm going to have the mechanics check it .
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
My car (a 2008 Altis) makes this loud CLUNK noise after it is parked overnight or a long time after a wash.

It is the calipers that stick to the disc rotors when water goes in and dries causing a light coat of rust on the rotors. Don't worry too about it, nothing has broken. It is not serious as long as you dont find any drag on the car once the noise goes away and you make sure the parking brake lever/handle is completely released.

Unlike the 9g Corolla that has a small drum assembly @ the rear for parking brake, IFAIK the Altis parking brake assembly actuates the rear brake calipers.

In fact now that you brought this up I will get the assembly checked during the next service due in Oct as I can hear some light scraping noise from the RHS wheel whilst driving in a silent area and past a wall when the noise reflects off the wall making it easier to hear.

Regards,
I think this is exactly what's happening. If I can remember correctly this happened only when it rained or the wheels have been in water , where the water level was up to the calipers.


Thanks a lot for the replies everyone! I tried moving the car in the forward gears and then reversing, there was no clunk . I noticed it's happening only when the car isn't used for a while or it has been in water upto the calipers. I'll follow the practice of going forward then reversing until the next service due.

Last edited by D33-PAC : 19th July 2011 at 08:43.
D33-PAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2011, 10:43   #24
dot
Senior - BHPian
 
dot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ban Chang
Posts: 1,681
Thanked: 714 Times
Default Re: HUGE clunk sound during reversing in my Toyota Altis

Quote:
Originally Posted by D33-PAC View Post
I tried moving the car in the forward gears and then reversing, there was no clunk . I noticed it's happening only when the car isn't used for a while or it has been in water upto the calipers.
Great to know that the "issue" is solved.
This is exactly why I was asking if the noise comes during forward motion also. With calipers getting stuck due to water drying up on them, the noise will come in both directions.

Typically we employ car washers to clean our cars in the morning. Normally they pour and splash water on the tires. If the car is not moved for a while, this causes the calipers to stick to disks as already mentioned by most folks here. Even if car washing is not done and the car is parked for a long time, moisture evaporation causes this temporary sticking. Absolutely normal behavior.
dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2011, 21:08   #25
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: zxc
Posts: 3,394
Thanked: 658 Times
Default Re: HUGE clunk sound during reversing in my Toyota Altis

normally CV joints go kaput early in two ways under normal conditions. Either if its a manufacturing defects or of the neglected torn boot.
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why do some cars have a single reversing light??? salilpawar1 The Indian Car Scene 97 30th May 2017 19:29
Altis Diesel vs Micra Diesel ! Is Altis Diesel still underpowered ??? Hero Puch The Indian Car Scene 13 8th April 2011 16:20
Scorpio VLX weird sound while reversing pramods Technical Stuff 9 8th October 2008 11:14
Knocking/Crunching noise on reversing at an angle abhi182 Technical Stuff 6 11th March 2008 14:16


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 20:57.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks