Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 22nd July 2011, 12:54   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Metallurgy Analysis Labs for an automotive part?

Need an analysis on the metallurgy of a relatively small automotive part. Would appreciate names/details of any contacts working at such labs in Mumbai who can give the results in writing, and would be willing to stand behing their analysis. No official court matter or anything, just want to cover my backside. Thanks.
pranavt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2011, 17:50   #2
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Metallurgy Analysis Labs?

I seem to remember a discussion on a lab in Mumbai, though i'm not 100% sure it was for metallurgy.

Ford_rocam might know? Also i seem to remember frankmehta being involved in the discussion (god knows what kind of lab it might be if this is the case!). You could PM em both.

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2011, 17:58   #3
Team-BHP Support

Are you aware of IIM? Indian Institute of Metals?
(Its a professional body of Metallurgists)

Welcome to the Indian Institute of Metals

Its is in Calcutta.
They may be able to provide pointers on where look for labs in Bombay.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2011, 19:00   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

You may try Reliable Testing Services Tel 285116406 or
TCR Engineering Services Pvt Ltd Tel 67380900. These are mostly catering to industry, they give test certificates. Some also have approvals of various agencies, suggest you call them and ask. Be clear about type of analysis, chemical and / or physical. Some tests can destroy the part!
Both are located in Mumbai

Cheers harit
harit is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2011, 20:23   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

What exactly do you need to measure. If its just a hardness test, some machine shops can do it. If you need a pull test, its more specialized.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2011, 21:18   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Are you aware of IIM? Indian Institute of Metals?
I've used this for testing on a custom alloy for an audio cable, and the result presentation is pretty good. I got it done as part of a larger research project and therefore gratis, but I had to donate a small sample of the metal. Given my alloy was largely silver it wasn't cheap but was worth it

Of course, all I needed were basic properties - eutectic temperature, mass, boiling point (they couldn't actually cover this), electrical resistance and composition. I would guess your requirements might be a little different. As would your benchmarks.
cranky is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2011, 23:42   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
Need an analysis on the metallurgy of a relatively small automotive part. Would appreciate names/details of any contacts working at such labs in Mumbai who can give the results in writing, and would be willing to stand behing their analysis. No official court matter or anything, just want to cover my backside. Thanks.

Contact

National Test House in Andheri (E) Phone number must be available from yellow pages, if you want to go they are right next to SEEPZ.

There is a Regional Testing Center near them too.

Both are govt. run labs and both test almost everything for which there is a BIS standard and then some more - if you go there you can meet some people who know their stuff (most don't, look for old guys).

If you can share exactly what you want to test send me a PM and I'll let you know the right guys to talk to.

If you want really good quality testing you can approach IIT Mumbai also - they do it as a project, though they'll take longer (due to procedures)

EDIT:

by the way, you have written that you don't need it for court etc. BUT if there is a chance you might then National Test House is the place to go - they do send their officers as witnesses if summoned.

Last edited by vina : 22nd July 2011 at 23:54.
vina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2011, 20:59   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Metallurgy Analysis Labs for an automotive part?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
Need an analysis on the metallurgy of a relatively small automotive part.
Hi,

Some more details would be helpful.
Ferrous or nonferrous?
Destructive or nondestructive?
Are you looking for presence of an (exotic) trace element?
Quantity of material in hand?
etc.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2011, 09:55   #9
Senior - BHPian

Could be either, hence the testing.
Non destructive.
No, just an educated observation by someone who's been into this for atleast a decade and can stand behind his/her statement. I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to quality/composition of metals.
Quite a bit.

I'm sorry I'm being secretive here, but what I say could be taken as libel/slander unless I have proof, which is why I'm doing this.
pranavt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2011, 10:15   #10
BHPian

Metallurgical Services at Ghatkopar are very good. They are a bit expensive though. Heres the website: www.metallurgicallab.com

PS: I think frankmehta had a similar query earlier this year. Cant find the thread though.
benzinblut is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2011, 23:17   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi,
Most labs do chemical analysis, and need a certain amount (~40 gms) of borings/ shavings to do it. And you have to give them a starting point. Like this is supposed to be xxx. Pls confirm. Or tell me the percentage of xx, or yy, or zz in this.

The labs normally charge by each test. So 'I don't know anything about this.Tell me all you can find out about this' is going to be very expensive very fast. And you'll need quite a bit of the material under test.

I'm sure using things like a MS can give you what you want. I don't know who does it.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 27th July 2011, 00:34   #12
BHPian

Can you please try once at IIT- Bombay.. I for sure know that there are in IIT-Madras. I do not have contact over there though.
arun_kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2011, 07:20   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Hi,
Most labs do chemical analysis, and need a certain amount (~40 gms) of borings/ shavings to do it. And you have to give them a starting point. Like this is supposed to be xxx. Pls confirm. Or tell me the percentage of xx, or yy, or zz in this.

The labs normally charge by each test. So 'I don't know anything about this.Tell me all you can find out about this' is going to be very expensive very fast. And you'll need quite a bit of the material under test.

I'm sure using things like a MS can give you what you want. I don't know who does it.

Regards
Sutripta
Sir

spectrometer is common in almost all labs now a days (and they charge you through your nose for that), but even that will tell you only about what is on the surface of the material. For the internals you'll again need a "sample" in the form of shavings etc.

Depending on why he wants the test in the first place a better strategy of testing can be decided upon.

Apart from the labs I already mentioned, Ordnance Factory Board's DGQA labs have everything he might need.
vina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2011, 20:55   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

^^^
Was talking of commercial labs. Most labs which work on funds/ grants (mine and your tax money) have GCMS. Lets not get into a discussion on whether these are used (properly) or not.

Regards
Sutripta