Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 25th February 2013, 17:16   #16
Default Re: Throttle body change @ 54000 kms

Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Before changing a throttle body, a very good idea is to get it cleaned manually- and specifically not by sprays. You'd be surprised at the amount of grime that comes out when the TB is cleaned manually - and makes a tangible difference to the performance afterwards.
I can vouch for it. I cleaned throttle body yesterday and problem of engine stop at low RPM vanished like anything.

Thanks theMAG and everyone for suggestions
sparkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2013, 18:20   #17
Senior - BHPian
Default Re: Throttle body change @ 54000 kms

Originally Posted by namit View Post
Hence i believe that only when the problem is there, scanning it then will show the errors otherwise NOT.

Back to AVEO issue - i believe the TPS to be fine as that would have shown in the scan but that was clean.

Now what should i do with this pattern of RPM dipping and then stabilizing only in the first start of the day (consistently).

Couple of note; Engine Check Lights and codes showing up are two different things. Not all codes trigger an Engine Check Light. Also, depending on your ECU, but for many parameters monitored it will store the fault. So even for intermediate problems checking the codes is always a good idea. It take a lot of the guessing, trial and error and opinions aways. It is the easiest ways to get facts.

The reason your mechanic doesn't want to change out TPS by itself, might have some merits in it. The sensor and the Throttle body need to be positioned if not calibrated very precisely for optimum performance. Many manufacturers don't sell the sensors separately for that reason. (E.g. Jaguar). It doesn't mean it can't be done, but it's probably good to understand what the real reason is.

So finding a mechanic that will do it, doesn't necessarily mean you've found a better mechanic. Maybe you just found one that doesn't quite understand how tricky this can be.

Jeroen is offline   Reply With Quote