Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 10th August 2017, 19:32   #31
BHPian

Default Cement stains on paint: Help!

Hello bhpians,

It was a quiet Thursday afternoon. Had returned from school and was looking forward to completing my Renault Kwid review which is currently on the assembly line and more importantly, update the ownership review of my silver sprinter, which is also incidentally due for its checkup this weekend.

Unfortunately, something or the other keeps on playing spoilsport these days. My dad had to find a new parking for the car due to certain issues with a grumpy woman in the society.

The car had been parked there for two days. I noticed that there was water falling of the ceiling but, my dad asked me to ignore it.

In the morning, my cleaner comes and tells my mom something I never wanted to hear. There are cement stains on the car itself and they are just not giving up!!

I go down to the car and this is what I find:
Removing Cement Spots-20170810_185137.jpg

Removing Cement Spots-20170810_185131.jpg

Removing Cement Spots-20170810_185155.jpg

I tried using alcohol and was able to get rid of the stains on the plastic bumper, however, the ones on the boot lid simply refuse to give way.

It's only when I saw this that I realised that the matter was much more serious then it seemed at first:
Removing Cement Spots-20170810_185142.jpg

Notice how hard the cement has become. My watchman also said that the stains will not give way easily.

My questions,

- I am sending the car in for a checkup. Shall I ask VW to sort this out or will they simply repaint the boot lid itself and rip me off?

- Shall I get it done through an FNG?

- Most importantly, will this require buffing or a new coat of paint altogether?

- The rear glass also has stains on it. What about those?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Vishy

Last edited by vishy76 : 10th August 2017 at 19:33.
vishy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2017, 19:59   #32
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Cement stains on paint: Help!

hey Vishy76, I've seen this issue with my black Honda City Type II's front bumper back in the early 2000s. I had the bumper rubbed, polished and waxed but the 'stain' did not go away fully. I was advised to get it repainted if I wanted a factory finish but the cost was high and I just chose to ignore it. After the 'treatment' above the patch was barely visible.

Given that VW's paint will be superior and there are more options available I'd suggest you try having an independent body shop give you an expert opinion.

VW's ASC will want to repaint the affected parts. The good thing is it should be back to factory specs (if the body shop knows how to do a good job) but this will cost you mucho dinero AKA a rip off.

Never ever keep your car under a leaking drain pipe or where there is a water dripping from a ceiling. That water/sewage is highly acidic and will eat through the paint.

Last edited by R2D2 : 10th August 2017 at 20:01.
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2017, 19:59   #33
BHPian

Please inquire with a professional car detailing shop. They might have a solution for cleaning this up
dkamath is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2017, 21:01   #34
ike
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamath View Post
Please inquire with a professional car detailing shop. They might have a solution for cleaning this up
I'd try that first, but for the rear windscreen, it is going to be a challenge as I presume your car comes with a defogger
ike is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2017, 21:01   #35
Senior - BHPian

Why dont you try a mixture of vinegar and water and try if it works out? From the pictures it looks like acid and salt damage rather than cement to me. How can cement drip out of a pipe?

Given that the damage is already done, do try out all possible methods before thinking of a repaint. First thing would be to make a mixture of 1:1 vinegar and water and soak the area for sometime before you scrape the surface. If the paint is not eaten into, it might remove the mark and expose whatever is beneath. Later on the area can be buffed to shine provided the paint isnt damaged.

Since this community has a lot of experienced detailing guys, they might share more ideas or experiences.
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2017, 21:51   #36
BHPian

This exact scenario happened with my 2010 Fortuner, except it was a lot more extensive. Toyota ASS wanted to repaint most of the car.
Tried vinegar and all similar stuff after watching YouTube videos. Nothing worked.
Then I went and took the car to almost all the professional car detailers in Patiala and Chandigarh. Finally I went to detailer by the name of PROWASH in Patiala. I would say they rectified 99% of the problem and overtime it's not at all noticeable any more. They charged 1200 bucks and took almost 6 to 7 hours.
The chemical compound they used was a bluish viscous liquid, similar to harpic (the toilet cleaner) . They didn't tell me the exact nature of the liquid.

Last edited by D4d-maniac : 10th August 2017 at 21:59.
D4d-maniac is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2017, 23:44   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
hey Vishy76, I've seen this issue with my black Honda City Type II's front bumper back in the early 2000s. I had the bumper rubbed, polished and waxed but the 'stain' did not go away fully. I was advised to get it repainted if I wanted a factory finish but the cost was high and I just chose to ignore it. After the 'treatment' above the patch was barely visible.

Given that VW's paint will be superior and there are more options available I'd suggest you try having an independent body shop give you an expert opinion.
Thanks for the suggestion sir. Point noted, I will never ever ignore these kind of parking mistakes again. My problem seems to be sorted. Read on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamath View Post
That's a good point, but I did call up a 3M car care outlet and he had no idea on what to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike View Post
I'd try that first, but for the rear windscreen, it is going to be a challenge as I presume your car comes with a defogger
My no.1 worry was this. I didn't want an inexperienced bloke to damage the rear windshield defogger lines or strip them off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Why dont you try a mixture of vinegar and water and try if it works out? From the pictures it looks like acid and salt damage rather than cement to me. How can cement drip out of a pipe?

Given that the damage is already done, do try out all possible methods before thinking of a repaint. First thing would be to make a mixture of 1:1 vinegar and water and soak the area for sometime before you scrape the surface. If the paint is not eaten into, it might remove the mark and expose whatever is beneath. Later on the area can be buffed to shine provided the paint isnt damaged.

Since this community has a lot of experienced detailing guys, they might share more ideas or experiences.

Your method worked. The mixture or whatever it was came of completely. It seemed that the water actually had a very high salt content and the leaky pipe also had a lot of accumulated salts along with a bit of paint chipping off.

Tried Vinegar and after thoroughly rubbing it down, only 10% of the stains remain. I will be going down to the car and getting those out as well, since it was dark today and I had already spent an hour getting rid of the major stains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4d-maniac View Post
This exact scenario happened with my 2010 Fortuner, except it was a lot more extensive. Toyota ASS wanted to repaint most of the car.
Tried vinegar and all similar stuff after watching YouTube videos. Nothing worked.

The chemical compound they used was a bluish viscous liquid, similar to harpic (the toilet cleaner) . They didn't tell me the exact nature of the liquid.
I think I too could have used harpic(my mom suggested it), but I had no idea as to what had happened to the paint below. Harpic is a strong acid, so I used brute force and vinegar instead.

All in all, it took two people an hour to get rid of 90% of the stains. There is a very light one on the rear windscreen and the bumper, but it is a very thin layer and should come off easily.

I will be posting some pics in daylight. Will also see if the paint needs any other special care such as buffing or polishing. As of now, there are no scratches on the paint when observed under bright white torch light, but will take a final call tomorrow.

Thanks to all the members for their suggestions. Even my mom now agrees that being a part of TeamBHP has it's benefits.

Regards,
Vishy
vishy76 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote