Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2013, 21:40   #61
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 672
Thanked: 318 Times
Default Re: A/c Evaporator coil fails 2nd time in my Ford Fiesta

Is it possible that a fault with the electrics is causing the coils to fail ?
Mortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2013, 22:00   #62
BHPian
 
penpavan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Blore
Posts: 380
Thanked: 131 Times
Default Re: A/c Evaporator coil fails 2nd time in my Ford Fiesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Is it possible that a fault with the electrics is causing the coils to fail ?
I don't know. Although I think it is unlikely to cause a mechanical failure (leakage)

Is A/C coil and A/C core one and the same?
penpavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2013, 01:09   #63
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 672
Thanked: 318 Times
Default Re: A/c Evaporator coil fails 2nd time in my Ford Fiesta

Maybe it would be worthwhile looking into retrofitting an equivalent part from another manufacturer if the one in the fiesta keeps failing ?
Mortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2013, 20:27   #64
BHPian
 
sbala's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 398
Thanked: 157 Times
Default

I am exactly in the same situation now. Had A/c problem couple of years back and then coil was changed. Now, I am facing the same problem again. The quote I got from Metro ford is 14k. Looks like Ford likes their customers to replace this every 2 years. Have to send a strong email on this. :-(
sbala is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2013, 09:49   #65
BHPian
 
sbala's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 398
Thanked: 157 Times
Default Re: A/c Evaporator coil fails 2nd time in my Ford Fiesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbala View Post
I am exactly in the same situation now. Had A/c problem couple of years back and then coil was changed. Now, I am facing the same problem again. The quote I got from Metro ford is 14k. Looks like Ford likes their customers to replace this every 2 years. Have to send a strong email on this. :-(
Escalated to Ford on this issue. Finally, managed to get a discount of 3.5k from the service center guys. Had to shell out 10k for the whole repairs. But these guys didnt fix the dashboard properly. There is lot of sounds coming from the dash. Have to check that as well.
sbala is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2013, 01:08   #66
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 189
Thanked: 85 Times
Default Re: A/c Evaporator coil fails 2nd time in my Ford Fiesta

Fiesta(classic) AC behavior seems to be predictable, first the cooling coil will go bust and then after a couple of years you will have a leak in the condenser. Original condenser is not available in the open market (Fiesta P - 1.4 EXI) , the new one at FORD costs a whopping 15K.

Since new parts are not available my AC guy somehow managed to get the leaky condenser repaired i.e. welded, aluminum welding i hear is tricky and not commonly done, total damage - 2650/- including gas recharge etc.
cyberwhizs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2013, 11:38   #67
BHPian
 
sbala's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 398
Thanked: 157 Times
Default Re: A/c Evaporator coil fails 2nd time in my Ford Fiesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberwhizs View Post
Fiesta(classic) AC behavior seems to be predictable, first the cooling coil will go bust and then after a couple of years you will have a leak in the condenser. Original condenser is not available in the open market (Fiesta P - 1.4 EXI) , the new one at FORD costs a whopping 15K.

Since new parts are not available my AC guy somehow managed to get the leaky condenser repaired i.e. welded, aluminum welding i hear is tricky and not commonly done, total damage - 2650/- including gas recharge etc.
You are lucky to get such a AC guy. In Bangalore, at least, the places i visited, everyone asked me to replace and gave me a quote upto 10k. After some fight with Ford, i brought the expense down to 11.5k from 15k.
sbala is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2013, 11:54   #68
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 189
Thanked: 85 Times
Default Re: A/c Evaporator coil fails 2nd time in my Ford Fiesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbala View Post
You are lucky to get such a AC guy. In Bangalore, at least, the places i visited, everyone asked me to replace and gave me a quote upto 10k. After some fight with Ford, i brought the expense down to 11.5k from 15k.
Well, the first attempt obviously was to get it replaced but since parts were not available he got it welded, somewhat reluctantly. On the previous occasion is was a replace - cooling coil.
cyberwhizs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2013, 12:14   #69
BHPian
 
sbala's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 398
Thanked: 157 Times
Default Re: A/c Evaporator coil fails 2nd time in my Ford Fiesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberwhizs View Post
Well, the first attempt obviously was to get it replaced but since parts were not available he got it welded, somewhat reluctantly. On the previous occasion is was a replace - cooling coil.
Oh Okay. Ford's part availability in open market is always a problem.
So far, i have spent around 22K for fixing this coil couple of times. Luckily, that's the only let down. Otherwise, my car is a gem (covered. 1,03,000 KMs so far)
sbala is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2014, 12:40   #70
BHPian
 
mTorque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 160
Thanked: 34 Times
Default Re: A/c Evaporator coil fails 2nd time in my Ford Fiesta

Just to let everyone know that I had replaced the AC cooling/evaporator coil from a local AC mechannic (Sree Guru AC mechanic in CIT nagar, Chennai).
He did a real good job for about 7.5K. Ford A** estimated about 10 to 12K for the same job. However, to replace the coil, the dashboard needs to be dismantled and its labour intensive.
The replaced part looked very similar to the original one and claimed ot be of OEM quality.
Its been a month since I changed, no issues faced until now. PM me if you need more details.
mTorque is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2014, 20:20   #71
Newbie
 
pzkfg6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 10
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

It is not ford making money out of us, what I feel is, they are forced to design wafer thin heat exchangers for better thermal effeciency may be to adapt for the new gas and could have relation to lesser emission (I guess). I am changing it for every 40k kms. If I keep the car ultra clean it runs for another 10k.
pzkfg6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2014, 22:48   #72
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 70
Thanked: 31 Times
Default Re: A/c Evaporator coil fails 2nd time in my Ford Fiesta

Our Fiesta has been having problems with the Air Con for the past year or so. There is no issue with the cooling of the A/C. However, the A/C is leaking external air while in Internal Circulation mode. As the cooling in the Fiesta is amazing to the point of chilling even with the fan at 1, this isn't a problem normally. But when travelling behind smoke emitting autos or trucks, or garbage trucks/ collection places, it is an annoyance to get the smell when still on internal circulation mode.

The last time during service, I went to the Metro Ford on St. Marks Road here in Bangalore, and told them about the problem. They told me that they have to remove the whole A/C system, access it via the dashboard (Rs. 3000 for stripping the dashboard), check for leaks, replace the Evaporator coil, recharge the A/C gas and replace a couple of other parts I can't remember. Total expenditure was about Rs. 18000. I said never mind and walked out. I complained to the Service Manager and he said that he would call me with the solution, but as usual that call never came.

Then during the most recent service about 20 days back, I again told the same issue but this time to the SA that I had worked with before. He called me and told me the same thing that the Evaporator needs to be changed, but the cost would be about 14k. When I took the delivery, it was raining and couldn't check the A/C running properly. Before I could realize it wasn't running, I was already in traffic and impossible to go back. They had forgotten to recharge the A/C gas that resulted in no cooling effect at all. Looked like a ploy to get me to change the Evaporator from them by making the A/C not work properly. Went back the next day and after some bashing got the A/C back to working the way it was.

I couldn't understand why the Evaporator needs to be changed when the A/C is running fine and the only problem is in the external air coming in during the internal circulation mode is on.

Has anybody faced this problem with external air coming in during internal circulation mode? And any solutions to spending about

P.S - My dad used to drive this Fiesta in Kolkota for about 2 years. The remaining 5 years the vehicle has remained in and around Bangalore itself.
sswaroop is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2014, 00:20   #73
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Delhi
Posts: 3,056
Thanked: 6,158 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswaroop View Post
Our Fiesta has been having problems with the Air Con for the past year or so. There is no issue with the cooling of the A/C. However, the A/C is leaking external air while in Internal Circulation mode. As the cooling in the Fiesta is amazing to the point of chilling even with the fan at 1, this isn't a problem normally. But when travelling behind smoke emitting autos or trucks, or garbage trucks/ collection places, it is an annoyance to get the smell when still on internal circulation mode.



Has anybody faced this problem with external air coming in during internal circulation mode? And any solutions to spending about



As I understand your problem its purely related to the recirculation function. And the AC works fine otherwise. That means there is most likely something wrong with the various valves that should ensure recirculation. It could be something as simple as a partly stuck valve, maybe some dirt got in it. No other parts should be affected. Now for the bad news. To get at these parts you need to remove a lot of stuff. But not the stuff you mention, and you certainly don't need to replace all the stuff you mention.

So bottomline I think you need somebody that knows ACs and is trust worthy. This is a case of picking the dashboard apart, maybe a few other bits and figure out which valves are not closing properly and why.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2014, 10:03   #74
Senior - BHPian
 
speedmiester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 1,315
Thanked: 823 Times
Default Re: A/c Evaporator coil fails 2nd time in my Ford Fiesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswaroop View Post
Has anybody faced this problem with external air coming in during internal circulation mode? And any solutions to spending about

P.S - My dad used to drive this Fiesta in Kolkota for about 2 years. The remaining 5 years the vehicle has remained in and around Bangalore itself.
Since the AC is cooling very well, there is no point in changing the Evaporator.

Take your car to an independent garage or a Car AC service centre, they will be able to get the issue fixed at a fraction of the cost.
speedmiester is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2014, 19:16   #75
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 70
Thanked: 31 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
It could be something as simple as a partly stuck valve, maybe some dirt got in it. No other parts should be affected. Now for the bad news. To get at these parts you need to remove a lot of stuff. But not the stuff you mention, and you certainly don't need to replace all the stuff you mention.

So bottomline I think you need somebody that knows ACs and is trust worthy. This is a case of picking the dashboard apart, maybe a few other bits and figure out which valves are not closing properly and why.

Jeroen

Thanks @Jeroen! That's what I thought that the problem should be with the valves that control the recirculation.




Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
Since the AC is cooling very well, there is no point in changing the Evaporator.

Take your car to an independent garage or a Car AC service centre, they will be able to get the issue fixed at a fraction of the cost.
Thank you @speedmiester. Do you happen to know any AC mechanics in Bangalore?

Any other T-Bhpians know of a trusted AC repair guy here in Bangalore?
sswaroop is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Spied: All-new 2017 Ford Fiesta for the first time RavenAvi The International Automotive Scene 6 29th November 2016 21:24
Corolla A/c Evaporator Replacement - Steps and Pics! vigsom Technical Stuff 7 18th May 2012 20:44
Please help me decide: Fiesta S or Fiesta ZXi? EDIT: Booked Fiesta S! Pics on pg5. frankmehta Sedans 108 18th August 2009 13:43
Ford Fusion fails crash test (apparently?) rkg The Indian Car Scene 12 8th March 2006 08:00


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:41.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks