Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2011, 21:59   #31
Distinguished - BHPian
 
swiftnfurious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 6,449
Thanked: 6,431 Times
Default re: Crack in front windshield

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu230506 View Post
Yeh it's the normal insurance, I found with WSE it's hassle free, one call made and agent was in their premises to inspect. 30 mins after the inspection I received SMS confirmation on the claim and amount. Meanwhile WSE have already started their work
So how much depreciation was it? 50%? Its nice to get such info. Probably I will wait for my next renewal, take a bumper - bumper cover and replace my both bumpers & windshield and after that will revert to just 3rd party insurance to save up.

By the way which insurance [company] do you have?

Slightly Off-topic::

Can we avail such insurance claim for replacing the broken stock bumpers with aftermarket ones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu230506 View Post
Though the amount was on the lower side I did went with insurance just to claim once (I never claimed insurance)
Next year if you feel the same again, please let me also know
swiftnfurious is offline  
Old 6th July 2011, 02:08   #32
Senior - BHPian
 
blackfire_9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: India
Posts: 1,075
Thanked: 187 Times
Default re: Crack in front windshield

My car's front windshield cracked on its own. WE & the MASS guys said it happens in summers & is quite common, gave me some reason w.r.t gas or something. Got it changed, but the rubber beading wasn't changed. Due to some fault of the MASS, got it changed for free, however WE would have charged about Rs.860 for the same with claim.
blackfire_9 is offline  
Old 6th July 2011, 08:55   #33
BHPian
 
raghu230506's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 766
Thanked: 63 Times
Default re: Crack in front windshield

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
So how much depreciation was it? 50%? Its nice to get such info. Probably I will wait for my next renewal, take a bumper - bumper cover and replace my both bumpers & windshield and after that will revert to just 3rd party insurance to save up.

By the way which insurance [company] do you have?

Slightly Off-topic::

Can we avail such insurance claim for replacing the broken stock bumpers with aftermarket ones?

Next year if you feel the same again, please let me also know
Iam not sure about bumpers getting replaced with after market ones. If you find a genuine guy who can guarantee the quality may be we can give it a shot.

I was with Reliance at that time, incident happen more than a year ago. I had another claim too in the same year when I rear ended my car to a pole

So premium to be paid was high (infact it was higher than the initial amount I paid for insurance not sure how) for me as I lost the complete NCB, I shifted to TATA AIG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
My car's front windshield cracked on its own. WE & the MASS guys said it happens in summers & is quite common, gave me some reason w.r.t gas or something. Got it changed, but the rubber beading wasn't changed. Due to some fault of the MASS, got it changed for free, however WE would have charged about Rs.860 for the same with claim.
More than gas, I feel the amount of heat you accumulate in the summer is the culprit. I remember one of my friend has a small dot which eventually developed to a foot long crack as he parked his car out in hot sun for whole day. If you have leather interiors, temp can raise too high. I normally follow

> Rolling down the glass on both side a little if I feel the place is safe else
> Keep the AC in recirculation mode as this can atleast help (not significantly) in maintaining the outside and inside temperature.
raghu230506 is offline  
Old 7th July 2011, 23:18   #34
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 223
Thanked: 20 Times
Default re: Crack in front windshield

I think I should go and show the scratches on my windsheild to WE and take their suggestion before deciding.
Thanks guys.
contactme27 is offline  
Old 4th January 2012, 14:05   #35
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3
Thanked: 0 Times
Unhappy re: Crack in front windshield

I am in a similar dilemma now.

I don’t remember how, but I managed to chip my windshield – there is a small chip (BullsEye – borrowing the term from the WE experts) to the right side of the glass, exactly in front of the driver. It is not big enough to be noticed, while driving around, but I feel my eye tend to catch it out very fast. The crack resembles a droplet of water on the glass and is not a disturbance yet.

Got in touch with the Windshield Experts, but they are recommending a change of glass – sighting that damage to be in the driver side and that it could cause aberration in the drive and visibility. I am in two minds now, should I listen to him and proceed with the glass replacement or should I take a call and have it repaired? Did any of you have a similar experience and if so, what is your take?

The car is FORD FIESTA (Classic) and I have Garware-ICECOOL Front windshield film applied – so even if I go for a replacement with the insurance cover, I will have to bear the additional expense of the film and the handling charges for the insurance cover, which might take it up to 4k+, the repair cost might be around 1k.

How safe is the repair path? Is it a recommended procedure? If I should go the replacement mode – should I go with FORD ***? Or can Windshield folks do it better without voiding my guarantee (the car is hardly 6 months old ) What will be the best mode – pay it up or claim Insurance? He (Windsheild Expert) quoted around 7k-8k for the replacement and If I have calculated it right, I would have to forego a 20% NCB amounting to 4k if I claim insurance, or is it more ?

The last option that I have is to wait till the crack deepens and then go for a replacement – is that adviseable ?Request your advice

Thanks
Mano.
madmanu is offline  
Old 4th January 2012, 15:51   #36
Distinguished - BHPian
 
libranof1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: All over!
Posts: 3,732
Thanked: 2,845 Times
Default re: Crack in front windshield

^^

Repair the glass? How?

You can never know if and when that crack leads to something worse; you wouldn't want to take that risk.

Ford A.S.S. will definitely charge much more for the glass.

I'd suggest you get it done at WE; they're good.
libranof1987 is offline  
Old 4th January 2012, 16:27   #37
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,652
Thanked: 244 Times
Default re: Crack in front windshield

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
^^

Repair the glass? How?

You can never know if and when that crack leads to something worse; you wouldn't want to take that risk.

Ford A.S.S. will definitely charge much more for the glass.

I'd suggest you get it done at WE; they're good.
This is how they do it



Windshield Experts used to repair when they started in late 90's but later they moved into a replace only mode, perhaps the former was not profitable enough.
dadu is offline  
Old 4th January 2012, 16:42   #38
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3
Thanked: 0 Times
Default re: Crack in front windshield

Yup - I kind of had the same impression. The Gentleman in charge over there was trying to convince me of the dangers of repairing ( difficulty in night drive, light dispersion etc). I am not discounting the security aspect, but I have a feeling that the crack/chip is too small to demand a complete replacement. I was wondering if it would be a good go to give the repair a try and then replace it if its not satisfactory.

How about leaving it as such ? and go for a replacement when the crack becomes more visible / obstructuctive ?

Thanks
Mano.
madmanu is offline  
Old 4th January 2012, 16:58   #39
Distinguished - BHPian
 
libranof1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: All over!
Posts: 3,732
Thanked: 2,845 Times
Default re: Crack in front windshield

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmanu View Post
How about leaving it as such ? and go for a replacement when the crack becomes more visible / obstructuctive ?
Depends on how impaired the visibility is at night/when it rains.
libranof1987 is offline  
Old 4th January 2012, 19:46   #40
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Currently, New Delhi
Posts: 423
Thanked: 92 Times
Default Re: Crack in front windshield

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmanu View Post
I don’t remember how, but I managed to chip my windshield – there is a small chip (BullsEye – borrowing the term from the WE experts) to the right side of the glass, exactly in front of the driver. It is not big enough to be noticed, while driving around, but I feel my eye tend to catch it out very fast. The crack resembles a droplet of water on the glass and is not a disturbance yet.
Leave it as it is. I have two of them from the construction gravel (Rodi) that hit my windshield. It hasn't grown to a crack as of now (4 months). I too had the sunfilm cost dragging me away from a windshield replacement.
JustCause is offline  
Old 19th January 2012, 10:23   #41
Senior - BHPian
 
himanshugoswami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: !!!!
Posts: 2,006
Thanked: 1,018 Times
Default Re: Crack in front windshield

This morning my scorpio's windshield got git by a loose pepple on the road that was thrown up by a car in front and that has resulted on a small pea sized indention in the windshield and an inch long crack! any suggestions- should I leave it for now, get it reparied or replaced?

if I get it replaced, i will be claiming insurance- will i get 100% or only 50%?

Any one have a good experience with Windshield Exterts in Delhi? suggestions please
himanshugoswami is offline  
Old 19th January 2012, 10:32   #42
Distinguished - BHPian
 
libranof1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: All over!
Posts: 3,732
Thanked: 2,845 Times
Default Re: Crack in front windshield

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
This morning my scorpio's windshield got git by a loose pepple on the road that was thrown up by a car in front and that has resulted on a small pea sized indention in the windshield and an inch long crack! any suggestions- should I leave it for now, get it reparied or replaced?

if I get it replaced, i will be claiming insurance- will i get 100% or only 50%?

Any one have a good experience with Windshield Exterts in Delhi? suggestions please
It's best you get it replaced.

If you claim Insurance, you will get 100%; you will just have to pay ~700 for the sealant.

WE are good; it's a good idea to get it replaced by them.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2012, 09:05   #43
BHPian
 
_raviShankar_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 136
Thanked: 65 Times
Default

Can someone post contact numbers of windshield experts in bangalore ? It would be of help as the windshield of my OHC has developed a crack and has a lot of small scratches.
_raviShankar_ is offline  
Old 30th January 2012, 09:42   #44
Senior - BHPian
 
fine69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,407
Thanked: 860 Times
Default Re: Crack in front windshield

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
This morning my scorpio's windshield got git by a loose pepple on the road that was thrown up by a car in front and that has resulted on a small pea sized indention in the windshield and an inch long crack! any suggestions- should I leave it for now, get it reparied or replaced?

if I get it replaced, i will be claiming insurance- will i get 100% or only 50%?

Any one have a good experience with Windshield Exterts in Delhi? suggestions please
If its only an inch long crack wouldn't those small circular patches provided by WE work? I have one on my swift and the tiny crack that was there a year before hasn't worsened till now, its still the same.

I visited the WE shop that's near Ashram.

BTW is the crack anywhere near the edges, because what WE people told me was that they can't repair cracks that are near to the edges.
fine69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2012, 10:22   #45
BHPian
 
k2max6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 482
Thanked: 129 Times
Default Re: Crack in front windshield

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raviShankar_ View Post
Can someone post contact numbers of windshield experts in bangalore ? It would be of help as the windshield of my OHC has developed a crack and has a lot of small scratches.
Here you go ! Windshield Experts Bangalore -
Attached Images
 
k2max6 is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DIY Repair: Windshield Chip & Crack a4anurag DIY - Do it yourself 27 26th August 2017 19:50
Now how the heck did my windshield develop the crack?!! Zappo Technical Stuff 44 12th February 2015 21:35
Freak mishap - windshield crack abhijitaparadh Street Experiences 32 29th October 2008 15:33
Front windshield fully frosted in the Baleno GTS Technical Stuff 9 6th November 2006 08:22


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:25.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks