Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 1st August 2011, 21:01   #1
Senior - BHPian

Exclamation Getz - Clutch pedal free play

I noticed a strange problem in my Getz's clutch pedal behavior today.

After driving for about 30 minutes in bumper-to-bumper traffic, the amount of free play increased all of a sudden - by a drastic amount. The pedal is freely depress-able upto almost 3/4th of it's distance. Basically the clutch engages close to the floorboard.

Initially I thought this has to do something with the rains and water getting in, so I applied short bursts of pressure repeatedly (like how you do to a brake pedal after coming out of water logging).

The problem did get sorted for a while, and the pedal seemed harder to press (i.e. the original play was restored). However, after driving for about 10 kms, the free play problem re-surfaced. So much so that in the evening, I was able to depress the clutch freely, without any effort.

However, the gears were engaging properly (with the exception of just 1-2 times).

What could be the issue here? And is this a serious concern?

P.S. The car has done 64,000 kms.

Last edited by nishantgandhi : 1st August 2011 at 21:04.
nishantgandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2011, 21:25   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Getz - Clutch pedal free play

First check the clutch cable, which might have elongated and which is why you need to depress fully, the cable could snap any time now Check the linkages at both ends also. May not be serious one as other functions are normal.
rajeev k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2011, 12:58   #3
Senior - BHPian

I went to Bosch Service (Mahalaxmi) today. Showed my car. As per Murphy's Law, the clutch was behaving perfectly normal when he took a test drive. Being a hydraulic clutch, there was no question of cable elongation / snapping etc as well. The mechanic checked oil level and that was fine too.

Finally, he traced the problem to a leaking clutch cylinder. The leakage was minimal with the car in stationary position. But with pumping of the pedal, the oil leaks more and more.

Since this comes as a kit, he suggested to have this replaced instead of repairing it. I've just given the car to them and got an estimate of about Rs 4,000.
nishantgandhi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2011, 23:16   #4
Senior - BHPian

I got the Clutch Master Cylinder assembly replaced today. It cost me Rs 4800 (RS 3800 for the cylinder+Rs 750 for labour+Rs 250 for clutch fluid). When I test drove the car, clutch pedal was as free as before. So I suspected the work has not been performed to perfection. However, the garage owner kept insisting that this is a normal phenomena and being a hydraulic clutch, it will self-adjust.

I drove the car for about 5 kms to my office to pick up a friend. My worst fear came true. After being stationary for 5 minutes, the car just refused to engage in any gear. Clutch pedal became free as a bird, and refused to engage.

So I called up the garage and he sent the mechanic, who spent close to 1 hour trying to identify the problem. He kept insisting that the car be towed to his garage and be kept overnight+tomorrow for supervision. He was constantly hinting at a malfunctioning ring within the s(l)ave cylinder - which happens only after the car has driven some distance (i.e. the engine heats up).

I was not at all comfortable with the explanation and pushed him to set it right. He bled the clutch line by pumping it several times and also set the pedal tight. This solved the problem to a large extent and I began my journey back home. Everything was OK after that.

However, just a while back, after driving for about 45 minutes, the pedal went *almost* free again. Luckily, I was home by then.

My question is
1. What is the real problem here?
2. Should I drive back to this Bosch Garage tomorrow morning? Its a good 30 kms from my house and I'll be driving in rush hour traffic. I am fearing a break down.

The other option is to take it to a nearby, reputed garage (MASS, which does my regular servicing) and leave it to their attention.

What do you guys suggest?
Old 3rd August 2011, 05:07   #5
Senior - BHPian

Leave it with the HASS where you are a regular customer. Driving 30 kas on rush hour with a faulty clutch is not at all wise. Only thing to be feared is, if they also suggest replacement of the master cylinder, you may have to take up the matter with Bosch for the refund.
rajeev k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2011, 15:22   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Obviously your master cylinder was good, and it was unnecessarily replaced. Go to another, more competent mechanic and have your slave cylinder checked up.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2011, 16:43   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Obviously your master cylinder was good, and it was unnecessarily replaced. Go to another, more competent mechanic and have your slave cylinder checked up.
But he showed me the oil leakage from the master cylinder, which was increasing with the number of pumps on the pedal.

I spoke to Bosch Service guy a while back. He admitted that bleeding was not done properly. He has asked me to bring over the car tomorrow, and leave it for 1-2 hours so that he can bleed the clutch line. The guy also said that s(l)ave cylinder was fine and does not need any work.

My question still stands - is it advisable to drive 30 kms to him? One logic is yes - because I have already paid him and he should set things right. But the other logic is to ensure no break down happens en route to his garage.
Old 3rd August 2011, 18:30   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
I spoke to Bosch Service guy a while back. He admitted that bleeding was not done properly.
Hmmm. Yup, could be that the bleeding wasn't done properly either.

Personally though, I'd just take the car to the nearby reputed garage which you use for regular servicing. If it's only a matter of bleeding, shouldn't cost you too much. Plus, you'll get a second opinion as well.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2011, 15:11   #9
Senior - BHPian

So guys, the problem has been detected and solved successfully.

Apparently, the bleeding procedure for hydraulic clutch (this is maybe specific to Hyundai/Getz, but the Bosch center guy wasn't sure) is different.

Instead of the usual constant pumping of the pedal several hours post installation of the cylinder, you need to do a very simple thing. Just open the filler cap of brake fluid reservoir, open the nipple of the slave cylinder and start the car in neutral. Pump the pedal gently and let the bleeding begin! It takes about 30-45 minutes and you're set!
Old 24th August 2011, 14:21   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
I got the Clutch Master Cylinder assembly replaced today. It cost me Rs 4800 (RS 3800 for the cylinder+Rs 750 for labour+Rs 250 for clutch fluid).
Not 100% sure but you seem to have been charged slightly higher for the for the master cylinder @ 3800. You may want to check the price with Shreenath Hyundai service center.
dipen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2011, 23:04   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
Not 100% sure but you seem to have been charged slightly higher for the for the master cylinder @ 3800. You may want to check the price with Shreenath Hyundai service center.
Yes, I guess about 4-500 Rs extra. But now the job has been done, so no real benefit in checking rates elsewhere. At the time when this needed to be done, I was in urgent need of a good service ctr, and my past experience with Jaya Hyundai had not been good at all.
Old 24th August 2011, 23:35   #12
BHPian

Hi Nishant,

It's surprising that the garage guy was ignorant about the specific bleeding procedure for the Getz, wonder how many other cars have a similar procedure. Guess the 'ineptitude' malaise is becoming more common with each passing day.

Good to know though that you're chugging along 64k + kms.

Cheers
St. Anger is offline   Reply With Quote