Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

View Poll Results: What engine?
Rebuild the diesel. You have torque, reliability and a factory fit feel 17 30.36%
Isuzu 1.8 Liter Petrol! Give us more power, baby! 39 69.64%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 16th February 2006, 18:41   #31
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Just got an update from Milestone. My engine has, in fact, packed up.

The rebuild is anywhere between 30 - 40 grand. If I decide to go for the 1.8 Petrol, the total is in the region of about 50 grand. This includes a rebuild, free flow exhaust, and various other enhancements.

The thing is, I am really looking forward to a change. More power and refinement equates to a HUGE smile every morning on the way to work. The only thing holding me back is daily use reliability.

I will arrive at a decision in the next 48 hours. Thanks to all of you for the suggestions, and do keep them coming.

GTO
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2006, 23:49   #32
Senior - BHPian

GTO, Rudra pays 9k max for the 1.8 ISZ engine.
Why should the transplant cost 50k??

Feasibility and Reliability of the Engine transplant are the biggest questions here. Think about my suggestion.

Even if u plan to go ahead with the transplant, oil the pug engine and store it somewhere safe in ur home or office or wherever. It might always come in handy.
Old 17th February 2006, 05:46   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

THe new Boleros are coming with a turbo XDP engine. So, another option might be to rebuild it and turbo it using stock parts.

Is the ISZ engine available brand new from HM>
Old 17th February 2006, 09:09   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyobeb
Can help you get a scorpio (regular) engine + gearbox (used) from Chennai for about 90K
slightly off topic but can this scorpio engine and gear box be transplanted in a safari without major hassles ?

Wouldn't this give the safari the much needed power boost and refinement its been waiting for ?

~A
Old 17th February 2006, 09:25   #35
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous
GTO, Rudra pays 9k max for the 1.8 ISZ engine.
Why should the transplant cost 50k??
Hi,

There are a lot of other costs involved besides the cost of the engine alone. It would really cost more like 60k to have a 100% perfect rebuilt engine since you cannot trust the 2nd hand engines from Chor Bazaar.

If you want an approx break up I can Pm you the details.

Viper
Old 17th February 2006, 11:49   #36
GTO
Team-BHP Support

UPDATES - Have finally listened to the heart and decided to go in for the 1.8 Isuzu Petrol with 5 Speed. Viper is going to be handling my entire project.

Project details:

- Isuzu 1.8 Petrol with 5 Speed to be installed
- The engine will be entirely rebuilt. I dont care what the current compression is, but I aint ever going to sell the Jeep. So it only makes sense to go the entire mile
- Stainless Steel headers and free flow exhaust system
- Porting / Polishing of the head
- K&N Extreme flow conical filter
- Propeller shaft alteration
- Various other jobs required to make this work such as electric fuel pumps, different starter, alternator etc.

Once the Jeep is up and running, it will take atleast a month to sort out misc. niggles that are standard with a retro-fit. Thats when I will be taking it back to the Milestone Mahindra workshop to get the 4x4 matched with the Isuzu. All the details have been worked out. Mahindra themselves used to sell MM540s with the 1.8 Petrol, and we will be using 4x4 mechanicals from that machine.

We are going to try and use as many existing parts (radiator etc.) since these have already been customised with perfection to fit in my Classic.

Will keep this thread updated with pictures and a detailed report.

Cant really argue when 75% of Team-BHP votes are in favor of the 1.8 Petrol, can we?

GTO
Old 17th February 2006, 11:54   #37
Senior - BHPian

Good call on the engine GTO

Looks like the project is sort of gonna take you back to restoration days . Hope to see the pictures of the whole process.

BTW are you considering power steering?
Old 17th February 2006, 12:09   #38
GTO
Team-BHP Support

You said it Dippy! Probably one of the motivational factors is the entire exercise of sourcing, custom fitting and the trial-error business. I was just telling my girl over dinner last nite that I miss the 4 month experience of rebuilding my Jeep.

No power steering Dippy. I have grown used to it, and it will only be lighter with a petrol engine.

Boy, am I looking forward to this one.....

GTO
Old 17th February 2006, 12:17   #39
Team-BHP Support

GTO, how come I don't see a lift to the jeep in the list of things to do. Surely this is a good time to do that as well.
Old 17th February 2006, 12:31   #40
Senior - BHPian

GTO why dont you trying sourcing a winch this time around as well. The petrol engine will be a dream We the gang had checked out the Lengend Jeep at Mahindras this time during our outing at the factory complete with the 1.8 Ltre Isuzu, 4x4 and a winch at the front . Boy would you have loved it

Maybe I should come and take a look at your jeep being done up again

Last edited by Dippy : 17th February 2006 at 12:33.
Old 17th February 2006, 16:46   #41
Team-BHP Support

Oh God! Rtech's thinking of 10000rpm. GTO, beware!
Old 17th February 2006, 18:50   #42
Senior - BHPian

Hey GTO. The 80" wheelbase jeep with an isuzu 5spd gearbox will allow you just about 1.5 feet of prop shaft! (Thats the reason why i am wondering how the stock transfer case will fit) So be careful about that. You will also need to carve out a section of your crankcase right side to accomodate your front prop shaft.
Do ley me know how it turns out.
The reason why I know about the Scorpio engine is because i thought about retrofitting it on my Safari. Dropped the idea cos the engine mounting points were totally off. Looking at a Pajero 2.8 engine now!
Old 18th February 2006, 13:03   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
- K&N Extreme flow conical filter
Just wondering,

How is that gonna behave when it is covered in wet monsoon offroading muck, since is it an exposed filter ?

cya
R
Old 18th February 2006, 13:22   #44
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
How is that gonna behave when it is covered in wet monsoon offroading muck, since is it an exposed filter ?
Will be interchanged with regular , in addition to numerous other preparations before off-roading.

GTO
Old 18th February 2006, 14:45   #45
Senior - BHPian

How a bout a snorkel??
Closed Thread