Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 13th February 2015, 09:36   #31

Default Re: Badly Maintained Hyundai Santro Serious Issues - Help Required!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullrun87 View Post
Have you shown the car to a hyundai authorised center. Hyundai is not ford they have a lot more reasonable pricing structure.
Will be doing that this weekend. Thanks for all the effort and advice. Will post updates on what the outcome was as well as pictures of the enclosure I create to keep it out of my sis-in-laws' hands!!!
Pro-magnon Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2015, 13:19   #32

Default Re: My 7 year old choking Santro

Hi Everyone,

Just a quick update on the condition of the Santro. My in-laws have left town so it is back in my hands. My wide got a first-hand experience (and shock) of how my Sis-in-law drives it (from 5th to 2nd when approaching turn - without slowing down - and then reducing speed when the car begins to jerk) but more importantly, since they've left, I have had the chance to run it myself.

So, the engine oil light does not come on when I drive it normally. Even my wife hasn't seen it come on even once. We went to our mechanic (Imtiaz in GK-2, New Delhi) and he and I spent a good 15-minutes trying to re-create the problem but couldn't.

There is still a whine in the engine when it starts cold but once it warms up, nothing else comes through. Also, the noise in the car (the one that goes away when the clutch is pressed) is still there and the mechanic (like all others I have tried) says that it is the crank-shaft that needs to be changed - the arms are broken or chipped, he says.

In any case, looks like the problem is much lesser than it seemed earlier (or so the cost says), so will be getting it fixed after all.

Thanks for all the inputs and help - appreciate every word!
Pro-magnon Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2016, 12:53   #33
BHPian

Default Re: My 7 year old choking Santro

Folks,

Need your inputs - how reliable is the Santro after crankshaft replacement?

Background:
My Santro has been diagnosed for crankshaft replacement, but since it's an expensive affair I have been running it for past 1 year with loss-of-power (~5000 km).

2016, relocated to Mumbai (from Blr) & AC is a mandatory requirement in the humid weather - for AC + decent pickup, crankshaft replacement is mandatory.

Can the car reliably run for 30K-40K KM after replacement, or it is better to sell it off. My Car currently has 55K on the odo.
anurag.somani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2016, 21:06   #34
BHPian

My friend had his Santro's crankshaft replaced two years ago at HASS, set him back about 25k including Labour and consumables. The car was driven around 15000kms after the job without any problems before it was sold.
bullrun87 is offline   Reply With Quote