Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2011, 20:18   #1
Senior - BHPian
 
sumeethaldankar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 2,668
Thanked: 1,018 Times
Default Maruti 800 Wiper mounts collapsed (due to rust)

Hi,

My 97 maurti 800's wiper mountings (driver side) has collapsed due to rust and age.My question is whether will the repair of the same involve removing the dashboard etc since the area of the wipers is inaccessible?

Would it be expensive to get the mounts repaired? There is now a gaping hole where the wiper used to be as i removed both the wipers.

thanks
sumeethaldankar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2011, 22:38   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
ariesonu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,090
Thanked: 1,271 Times
Default Re: M800 Wiper mounts collapsed

A pic of damaged area would help us in giving suggestion. I also had a rust breach at inner side of A pillar on driver side. So may be able to help you after some pics.

Raab Rakha.
ariesonu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2011, 00:06   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
sumeethaldankar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 2,668
Thanked: 1,018 Times
Default Re: M800 Wiper mounts collapsed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
A pic of damaged area would help us in giving suggestion. I also had a rust breach at inner side of A pillar on driver side. So may be able to help you after some pics.

Raab Rakha.
Name:  293077_253632581322929_100000285688931_965446_8235071_n.jpg
Views: 3289
Size:  32.5 KB

Well here's a pic of the same.The thingy on which the wiper is mounted has collapsed inside.
sumeethaldankar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2011, 00:52   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
IQBAL VEERJI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: SAAT BUNGLA, BAMBAI.
Posts: 1,040
Thanked: 282 Times
Default Re: M800 Wiper mounts collapsed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Attachment 592424

Well here's a pic of the same.The thingy on which the wiper is mounted has collapsed inside.
Not a big issue I had same issue got it done at local garage, they get that wiper mount remove front glass,open little portion of dash board and weld that portion and refix the wiper machine, all it takes around 4 to 6 hrs time.
I got it done at Andheri and was charged ,900/- in all.
IQBAL VEERJI is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2011, 01:34   #5
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 690
Thanked: 152 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: M800 Wiper mounts collapsed

No need for welds cuts .Open bonnet on left hand side you will see the wiper motor .Open the screws .Remove motor and will notice the wiper link assembly attached to motor on a pivot . remove it . Put in the new links tigten back everything and you are good to go.
please get it at MASS else local mechanics more often than not will never get the synchronization proper and you will get a lot of dhak -dhak noise when wipers are at extremes .Also please avoid totally local wiper link assembly as they develop play soon and wear out soon leading to noise .
And while at it you can get the wiper blades new too.

All the best .
Trust_In_Thrust is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2011, 21:20   #6
BHPian
 
anky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 395
Thanked: 92 Times
Red face Re: Maruti 800 Wiper mounts collapsed (due to rust)

yeah did the same no need for welding or opening the dash or glass , all accessable after removing the wiper motor . My 97 800 links got rusted first then I tried operating the wiper motor which got burnt due to the jammed links so replaced jammed links , wiper motor (taiwan make not lucas) all for about 1500 . If possible replace the old wiper arms so u can fit the new clip type wipers instead of the old screw type . Bosh are good .
anky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2011, 23:51   #7
BHPian
 
Tejas Ingle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 272
Thanked: 301 Times
Default Re: Maruti 800 Wiper mounts collapsed (due to rust)

I replaced the entire wiper linkages of my neighbours zen at home. It cost me around 500 bucks last year. The wipers are working fine yet. The linkages can be usually accessed from the engine compartment. If you can upload a pic of it, I can help.
Tejas Ingle is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2011, 15:40   #8
Senior - BHPian
 
ariesonu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,090
Thanked: 1,271 Times
Default Re: M800 Wiper mounts collapsed

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI View Post
Not a big issue I had same issue got it done at local garage, they get that wiper mount remove front glass,open little portion of dash board and weld that portion and refix the wiper machine, all it takes around 4 to 6 hrs time.
I got it done at Andheri and was charged ,900/- in all.
But Veerji, Wouldn't welding result in paint burn around the area?
I had the front windshield removed once & in subsequent rains, my car leaked badly. I had to get the windshield doen again from W-Experts in Mahim then.

Raab Rakha.
ariesonu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2011, 13:46   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
sumeethaldankar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 2,668
Thanked: 1,018 Times
Default Re: Maruti 800 Wiper mounts collapsed (due to rust)

Got a temporary solution to the problem.Got the driver side wiper motor rod removed along with the wiper and the attached the pasenger side wiper the reverse way.The Passenger wiper mount is still intact and works fine.Will most probably get it fixed next rainy season as the rains are on their way out ,more also the car won't be used for long drives but rather around the corner trips.

Name:  800_wiper.jpg
Views: 2838
Size:  27.0 KB
sumeethaldankar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2011, 14:13   #10
BHPian
 
k_nitin_r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Dubai,Hyderabad
Posts: 470
Thanked: 74 Times
Default Re: Maruti 800 Wiper mounts collapsed (due to rust)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Got a temporary solution to the problem.Got the driver side wiper motor rod removed along with the wiper and the attached the pasenger side wiper the reverse way.The Passenger wiper mount is still intact and works fine.Will most probably get it fixed next rainy season as the rains are on their way out ,more also the car won't be used for long drives but rather around the corner trips.
I've had plenty of 'temporary' solutions because of the frequency of accidents from careless drivers. However, fitting a good working wiper is one of the essentials that you need to get done if any rain is expected (we still have a couple of cloudy days here) because it affects visibility. Tyres, brakes, and headlights are just as important for safety.
k_nitin_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2011, 15:47   #11
Senior - BHPian
 
sumeethaldankar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 2,668
Thanked: 1,018 Times
Default Re: Maruti 800 Wiper mounts collapsed (due to rust)

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_nitin_r View Post
I've had plenty of 'temporary' solutions because of the frequency of accidents from careless drivers. However, fitting a good working wiper is one of the essentials that you need to get done if any rain is expected (we still have a couple of cloudy days here) because it affects visibility. Tyres, brakes, and headlights are just as important for safety.
I understand your concern about safety but the current setup works and the wiper functions very well.The post was added so that it could be useful to someone in case of emergencies.As for being "careless" i did not use this car for around a couple of months not only because i had a another vehicle to use also because i knew the wipers were not in order.

There were plenty of days in between where it was quite sunny and was tempted to take the 800 out but refrained from doing so because of the wipers.Since the rains are slowly but surely saying goodbye here in mumbai my mechanic suggested we get the wipers fixed later on and gave me this fix just in case.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 25th September 2011 at 15:52.
sumeethaldankar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2011, 17:21   #12
BHPian
 
k_nitin_r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Dubai,Hyderabad
Posts: 470
Thanked: 74 Times
Default Re: Maruti 800 Wiper mounts collapsed (due to rust)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
As for being "careless" i did not use this car for around a couple of months not only because i had a another vehicle to use also because i knew the wipers were not in order.
Just to clarify, I didn't mean you were being careless. What I meant was that some careless driver would cause paint chipping, bumper alignment damage, or cracked plastics. Fixing the damage would seem almost pointless because, due to the fate of our Indian traffic, another accident just a week later by another careless driver would bring it back to the same condition. Hence my lack of concern over having 'temporary' fixes (patch work) as long as it only affects the aesthetics and vehicle appearance. I ensure that anything affecting functionality or safety on my car is attended to urgently and fixed properly.
k_nitin_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hydraulic Engine Mounts vs Rubber Engine Mounts amalji Technical Stuff 16 29th October 2015 14:57
Fuel-tank Rust Removal (by Electrolysis) & Rust Proofing H3LIOS Motorbikes 30 19th May 2014 14:26
2009 Hyundai i10 Rear Suspension Collapsed!! Torsion Beam Cracked! Sankar Technical Stuff 35 19th February 2012 20:29
Prestige Shanti Niketan building collapsed joecherian Shifting gears 9 24th October 2008 06:47
Maruti 800 rear wiper Ram Modifications & Accessories 5 29th August 2006 09:05


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:07.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks