Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2011, 22:25   #16
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Vizag
Posts: 1,982
Thanked: 1,339 Times
Default Re: Lancer 1999 Diesel vibrations

Monster2, I think you should try Mitsu dealer. The mechs there know lancers in and out and will help you out.

I tell you two anecdotes of legendary Lancer reliability. I spent 2 years away from Vizag, in Kakinada. I commuted every weekend to Vizag ( family ) for last 2 years. So almost 100 trips between Vizag and kakinada. And touching 160 kph everytime. When I was leaving for KKD in July '09, I went to local Vizag dealer and said I was worried because KKD has no Mitsu dealer and my car had already done 1.28 lakh KMs by then. He said go ahead, it will never break down on you. Today odo reads 1.93 lakh KMs. It still runs and starts the same. 100 trips on highway and just one break-down. No it wasn't a break-down. It was a flat tyre. About those anecdotes. On one of my trips, the engine-oil light started flickering half way through on highway. A little later it stayed on. I got scared. It generally means, low or no oil or busted oil pump. I stopped the car and called up the dealer. It was 7pm and they were all gone. I called the mech on his cell and narrated. After hearing the whole thing, he coolly said, the light must be coming on because of some loose connection. Fear not and drive on. I wasn't sure. But I was in the middle of nowhere so I decided to drive real slow and giving plenty of stops ( just in case the pump is busted and if it's overheating, I checked the oil level and found it ok ). So, I turned off aircon and pussyfooted throttle pedal and limped home. Next day when I drove into the dealership, it was just as the mech had predicted. A loose connection turned the engine oil lamp on. That fixed, I was on my way again.

Second incident is also similar. 7-8 months after the above incident, again when I was driving to Vizag, the battery light started flickering and came on together with an engine check light ( amber ). Again same story. Mech told me about loose connection and not to worry and to drive on. It was easier this time, because battery light means failed alternator and if alternator had really failed then I would know because lights would go dim and horn would go weak. But nothing of that sort happened. Next day , the loose connection was fixed and I was on my way.

People talk about Honda/Toyota reliability but Mitsubishi will any day put them to shame in relaibility. Their marketing prowess is something different altogether though.

You will one day get bored and sell this car. Not because it troubles you. In fact I feel guilty when I look arfound and see brand new cars and premium ones, at that, breaking down or giving all kinds of problems. I think I need say no more.
pgsagar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2011, 23:54   #17
BHPian
 
Chewbacca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 194
Thanked: 119 Times
Default Re: Lancer 1999 Diesel vibrations

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster2 View Post
I am actually looking out for a Lancers owners manual and front bumper setup, As I just fixed the new fender lining still something from the front bumper to the Lining is not getting connected, as in there is a bracket or something missing, neither of my mechanics are able to figure out.
Mine is 2001 petrol model but the bumper setup should be the same I guess. Recently I got the bumper re-aligned and repainted and had taken some pictures with my friends's camera when the bumper + reinforcement bar was removed. Let me know if you want those pictures (hope my friend has not deleted them)

BTW, I just checked the owner's manual, there is nothing in it about bumper internals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
People talk about Honda/Toyota reliability but Mitsubishi will any day put them to shame in relaibility. Their marketing prowess is something different altogether though.

You will one day get bored and sell this car. Not because it troubles you. In fact I feel guilty when I look arfound and see brand new cars and premium ones, at that, breaking down or giving all kinds of problems. I think I need say no more.
Chewbacca is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2011, 00:12   #18
BHPian
 
monster2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 77
Thanked: 5 Times
Default Re: Lancer 1999 Diesel vibrations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
Mine is 2001 petrol model but the bumper setup should be the same I guess. Recently I got the bumper re-aligned and repainted and had taken some pictures with my friends's camera when the bumper + reinforcement bar was removed. Let me know if you want those pictures (hope my friend has not deleted them)

BTW, I just checked the owner's manual, there is nothing in it about bumper internals.


Chewbacca,


I would really grate full if you could send the pics, i was about to go this weekend to a used car dealer lol to just check the alignment, And yes i don't know how to say this, can you get me copy for that owner manual as i want to keep the same for general maintenance so that i could get the car checked time to time.

Ys ofcourse i forgot to update, i there with Raima motors they gave me a quotation on 25k for just front suspension, where as KYB gas shocks arre available outside for 6500 pair, so u can understand where they are going wrong, I and planning to at least get the suspension fixed first my old mechanic. then i would proceed with filter, oils and mounting. as Im saving enough to get it really run butter smooth.

Regards
monster2 is offline  
Old 30th August 2011, 00:15   #19
BHPian
 
monster2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 77
Thanked: 5 Times
Default Re: Lancer 1999 Diesel vibrations

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Monster2, I think you should try Mitsu dealer. The mechs there know lancers in and out and will help you out.

I tell you two anecdotes of legendary Lancer reliability. I spent 2 years away from Vizag, in Kakinada. I commuted every weekend to Vizag ( family ) for last 2 years. So almost 100 trips between Vizag and kakinada. And touching 160 kph everytime. When I was leaving for KKD in July '09, I went to local Vizag dealer and said I was worried because KKD has no Mitsu dealer and my car had already done 1.28 lakh KMs by then. He said go ahead, it will never break down on you. Today odo reads 1.93 lakh KMs. It still runs and starts the same. 100 trips on highway and just one break-down. No it wasn't a break-down. It was a flat tyre. About those anecdotes. On one of my trips, the engine-oil light started flickering half way through on highway. A little later it stayed on. I got scared. It generally means, low or no oil or busted oil pump. I stopped the car and called up the dealer. It was 7pm and they were all gone. I called the mech on his cell and narrated. After hearing the whole thing, he coolly said, the light must be coming on because of some loose connection. Fear not and drive on. I wasn't sure. But I was in the middle of nowhere so I decided to drive real slow and giving plenty of stops ( just in case the pump is busted and if it's overheating, I checked the oil level and found it ok ). So, I turned off aircon and pussyfooted throttle pedal and limped home. Next day when I drove into the dealership, it was just as the mech had predicted. A loose connection turned the engine oil lamp on. That fixed, I was on my way again.

Second incident is also similar. 7-8 months after the above incident, again when I was driving to Vizag, the battery light started flickering and came on together with an engine check light ( amber ). Again same story. Mech told me about loose connection and not to worry and to drive on. It was easier this time, because battery light means failed alternator and if alternator had really failed then I would know because lights would go dim and horn would go weak. But nothing of that sort happened. Next day , the loose connection was fixed and I was on my way.

People talk about Honda/Toyota reliability but Mitsubishi will any day put them to shame in relaibility. Their marketing prowess is something different altogether though.

You will one day get bored and sell this car. Not because it troubles you. In fact I feel guilty when I look arfound and see brand new cars and premium ones, at that, breaking down or giving all kinds of problems. I think I need say no more.
Hi Pgsagar,

I really know how it is as this is my second lancer i regret selling my first one, parts were easily available and there were many dealers like Sureka that time, so now this is my second lancer its used one so you know we have to get it fixed one by one, I owned Elantra, accent CRDi they could neva beat this in reliability. I go with you on this.
monster2 is offline  
Old 30th August 2011, 23:23   #20
BHPian
 
Chewbacca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 194
Thanked: 119 Times
Unhappy Re: Lancer 1999 Diesel vibrations

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster2 View Post
I would really grate full if you could send the pics, i was about to go this weekend to a used car dealer lol to just check the alignment,
Sorry, the camera has gone on vacation with the family and not sure if the pictures are still there.

Today, I called up the A$$ and inquired about the bonnet setup. It seems the 1999 Lancers had a different bonnet design and mount. They kept saying "Type1 has this & Type2 has that" which I did not really understand.

Why don't you take some snaps and send it over to me. I can then show it to the A$$ over here and get the precise answers and if necessary the missing part too. They don't sell over the counter spares but I can manage.

I will scan the owner's manual (just the important pages) and send you the soft copy but his will take time.
Chewbacca is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2011, 13:08   #21
BHPian
 
monster2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 77
Thanked: 5 Times
Default Re: Lancer 1999 Diesel vibrations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
Sorry, the camera has gone on vacation with the family and not sure if the pictures are still there.

Today, I called up the A$$ and inquired about the bonnet setup. It seems the 1999 Lancers had a different bonnet design and mount. They kept saying "Type1 has this & Type2 has that" which I did not really understand.

Why don't you take some snaps and send it over to me. I can then show it to the A$$ over here and get the precise answers and if necessary the missing part too. They don't sell over the counter spares but I can manage.

I will scan the owner's manual (just the important pages) and send you the soft copy but his will take time.
Hi Chewbacca,

Thank you so much for the same, looking forward for the scanned pages , I would click the pictures tomorrow for sure.. As today catched up with Eid. Wish you Eid Mubarak.
monster2 is offline  
Old 31st August 2011, 21:00   #22
BHPian
 
rajivanoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 398
Thanked: 45 Times
Default Re: Lancer 1999 Diesel vibrations

If you are meaning service manual, its available in net, search for Mirage

Download PDF Mitsubishi Mirage 1999 Service Manual | PDFTown.com

if not available, i shall give you exact link. even an manual available for engine 4D68 , if you cant find, i shall send you.
rajivanoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2011, 19:47   #23
BHPian
 
monster2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 77
Thanked: 5 Times
Default Re: Lancer 1999 Diesel vibrations

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivanoj View Post
If you are meaning service manual, its available in net, search for Mirage

Download PDF Mitsubishi Mirage 1999 Service Manual | PDFTown.com

if not available, i shall give you exact link. even an manual available for engine 4D68 , if you cant find, i shall send you.
Hey Rajivanoj,

Cool yes the pdf is download great find bro, sorry if this question is odd, does 4D68 refer to 2.0 Diesel that came in Indian diesel Lancers if so please send me the link for that as well would be grateful.
monster2 is offline  
Old 1st September 2011, 19:53   #24
BHPian
 
monster2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 77
Thanked: 5 Times
Default Re: Lancer 1999 Diesel vibrations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
Sorry, the camera has gone on vacation with the family and not sure if the pictures are still there.

Today, I called up the A$$ and inquired about the bonnet setup. It seems the 1999 Lancers had a different bonnet design and mount. They kept saying "Type1 has this & Type2 has that" which I did not really understand.

Why don't you take some snaps and send it over to me. I can then show it to the A$$ over here and get the precise answers and if necessary the missing part too. They don't sell over the counter spares but I can manage.

I will scan the owner's manual (just the important pages) and send you the soft copy but his will take time.
Lancer 1999 Diesel vibrations-img00167201109011226.jpg

Lancer 1999 Diesel vibrations-img00168201109011226.jpg

Lancer 1999 Diesel vibrations-img00169201109011226.jpg


Hi Chewbacca bro I have attached the images this is for the front bumper and fender lining, you could see the same on right hand side when you see the bumper from below this is how it looks without the part, please check does it has any kind of bracket or loops that connect, if you could please check in own own lancer probably you can get and idea, there is load of vibrations on fender lining due to this. As last would apologize for poor picture quality I blame my BBM for compromising on photo quality

Regards
monster2 is offline  
Old 1st September 2011, 20:20   #25
BHPian
 
rajivanoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 398
Thanked: 45 Times
Default Re: Lancer 1999 Diesel vibrations

@ monster2

http://www.lilevo.com/mirage/Manuals...9609%20E-W.pdf

The above link has service manual for 4D68 engine, which powers lancer diesel engine in india, 4D68T refers to turbo version, which is not available in india, but it is similar specification except Turbo addition and i think oil pump also differs in turbo version.
rajivanoj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2011, 20:44   #26
BHPian
 
rajivanoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 398
Thanked: 45 Times
Default Re: Lancer 1999 Diesel vibrations

@ monster2

Even my lancer has same setup under bumper, even mine is 1999 model diesel lancer, which has 4,32,000 on ODO, but with same problem , vibrations in idle, but i did not mind it much, as i know its an old car, but after reading this topic, i feel it is mount problem or something. But not sure.

I just saw under bumper , there is no support for bumper underneath, so i think all lancer have same setup. Thanks for picture
rajivanoj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2011, 00:36   #27
BHPian
 
Chewbacca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 194
Thanked: 119 Times
Default Re: Lancer 1999 Diesel vibrations

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster2 View Post
please check does it has any kind of bracket or loops that connect, if you could please check in own own lancer probably you can get and idea, there is load of vibrations on fender lining due to this.
I visited the A$$ today and showed the pictures. Referring to your 1st and the 2nd picture, nothing seems to be missing. There isn't supposed to be any bracket or loop connecting those holes below the bumper. Also, I checked a diesel Lancer that was being fixed with the engine running. The bumper edges does shudder when idling and the mechanic said it was normal.

As regards the fender lining, it is called the "Splasher kit". It is a plastic moulded black sheet, 1.2 meter long, that covers the entire wheel well (180 degrees cover above the front tyres). The splasher prevents water and dirt from getting flung on other parts and the engine bay. The OEM splasher costs 3000/- at the A$$ and approx. 800/- in the grey market.

The 3rd picture partly shows the splasher and it seems to be intact. However the missing part in the picture is the "dust cover" which again serves the same purpuse as the splasher, costs 1100/- It is not a critical part and can be ignored.

BTW, the splasher is important because it presents a tidy look to the wheel well and prevents the engine bay from getting dirty due to water / dust / mud flung by the tyre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivanoj View Post
I just saw under bumper , there is no support for bumper underneath, so i think all lancer have same setup. Thanks for picture
At the A$$ I noticed the SFXi models that has the body skirt all around. Maybe those unused holes below the bumper are for attaching the bumper skirt?
Chewbacca is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2011, 23:02   #28
BHPian
 
monster2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 77
Thanked: 5 Times
Default Re: Lancer 1999 Diesel vibrations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
I visited the A$$ today and showed the pictures. Referring to your 1st and the 2nd picture, nothing seems to be missing. There isn't supposed to be any bracket or loop connecting those holes below the bumper. Also, I checked a diesel Lancer that was being fixed with the engine running. The bumper edges does shudder when idling and the mechanic said it was normal.

As regards the fender lining, it is called the "Splasher kit". It is a plastic moulded black sheet, 1.2 meter long, that covers the entire wheel well (180 degrees cover above the front tyres). The splasher prevents water and dirt from getting flung on other parts and the engine bay. The OEM splasher costs 3000/- at the A$$ and approx. 800/- in the grey market.

The 3rd picture partly shows the splasher and it seems to be intact. However the missing part in the picture is the "dust cover" which again serves the same purpuse as the splasher, costs 1100/- It is not a critical part and can be ignored.

BTW, the splasher is important because it presents a tidy look to the wheel well and prevents the engine bay from getting dirty due to water / dust / mud flung by the tyre.


At the A$$ I noticed the SFXi models that has the body skirt all around. Maybe those unused holes below the bumper are for attaching the bumper skirt?

HI Chewbacca,


Quick update I spent around 5 k for complete expense apart from suspension.

I got Engine oil and oil filer changed, Gear oil changed, and front right hand side engine mounting the vibrations have reduced to a great extent. I was asked to change the all the mounting and he said it shall then be as silent as petrol (when it comes to vibrations)

yes you are absolutely correct i checked my dads friends SFXi it is used to fit the front skirts and yes i do need the Splasher however i am getting my front bumper new and adjusted after that i would buy the splashers, it was really kind of you to share the same with A.S.S i might disturb you to help me with those once i am done with other mechanical works.

So all that is lined up next month as Im slowly getting everything fixed not in one go as i cant afford such a big whole for my pleasure.
monster2 is offline  
Old 6th September 2011, 13:28   #29
BHPian
 
rajivanoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 398
Thanked: 45 Times
Default Re: Lancer 1999 Diesel vibrations

@ monster2

How much did the mount cost? and what did they quote for all other mounts , Is it OE make?
rajivanoj is offline  
Old 6th September 2011, 21:10   #30
BHPian
 
monster2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 77
Thanked: 5 Times
Default Re: Lancer 1999 Diesel vibrations

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivanoj View Post
@ monster2

How much did the mount cost? and what did they quote for all other mounts , Is it OE make?
Hi Rajivanoj,

Sorry i have to mail you the pics it just go out of my mind. Yes the mount costed me Rs 2000, no its not OE mounting as in Hyderabad you dont get OE spares apart from Raima motors who dont do counter sale. but still the quality was great, yes you can retain the original aluminium mounting and just replace the rubber bush inside(however the success rate is too low so is the cost just 600 rs).

Coming to other mountings the cost is almost the half that what my mech told be however i did not confirm the same.
monster2 is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking for Lancer 1999 white glxd raajks Shifting gears 4 4th September 2008 18:39
Immaculate 1999 Santro 1.0 DX for sale ajmat Shifting gears 2 30th September 2005 14:19
Bombay Airshow 1999 Rehaan Shifting gears 7 1st June 2004 20:31


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 14:12.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks