Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 29th August 2011, 22:42   #16
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default Re: Cielo -A/T-Concern while overtaking

Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
We cannot compare with American ATs. Their cars have huuuge engines ( by indian standards ) and a high resultant torque. Hence, plenty of reserve power to catapult the car forward with a shove. 2000cc is considered tiny by them.

BTW, what you said about plonking it into i10 is possible? I doubt. Or, did you say it in a jest?
yes, i meant what i said. and i was not talking about the physically plonking them. but using the same technology to design the a/t boxes for these i10s

the basic tech used is the torque converter... the only way the gearbox decides when to change is according to the amount to low end torque stress on the motor. if the car doesnt pull enough, downshift! (its how the gearbox is trained). thats why the i10s downshift so quickly. because the moment you hit the gas, hardly anything happens, hence the box decides that there is no usable torque and simply downshifts. try it in a 2.4l chevy malibu, the moment you slam the throttle she just start picking up speed... and A/T does nothing stupid...
naturaldisaster is offline   Reply With Quote