Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2011, 19:05   #196
Senior - BHPian
 
souravc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 1,088
Thanked: 427 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento - User Discovered Features and Quirks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekatas View Post
Yes, initially they didn't replace the fuel filter. The service manual lists this change at 30000 km intervals. However, the user manual does say it's better to change the fuel filter in countries where the diesel quality is suspect. As soon as I took the car for service, the KSM Nerul guys told me that VW has made changing the fuel filter a mandatory requirement at 15k intervals. I don't know for sure whether it is a VW requirement or whether KSM has come up with this requirement to make some extra buck. But as u rightly said earlier, considering the varying quality of diesel in our country even I would feel better changing it. But now your bill will be closer to Rs 11k.
Beware of KSM Nerul , they scammed you on that - I know those guys very well since I take my car there
souravc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2011, 23:33   #197
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: mumbai
Posts: 9
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento - User Discovered Features and Quirks

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
I dont mean any offense to you, but doesn't VW know about the quality of Indian fuel when they decided on the 30k kms replacement interval for the fuel filter? This looks to me like the dealer making a quick buck here.
I suggest that you stick only to manufacturer recommended service intervals for parts replacement.
Actually, the manual is not India specific. And it says depending on the fuel quality in the country you are in you need to decide whether you want to change it at 15k or 30k.
mekatas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2011, 12:08   #198
Senior - BHPian
 
oxyzen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Not fixed.
Posts: 1,026
Thanked: 265 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento - User Discovered Features and Quirks

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
Sorry , I got mixed up . Fuel filter was not replaced during my TDi first service , I don't remember seeing any fuel filter replacement in the first service reports of any of the TBHP Vento TDI owners. A component costing 1400/- out of a total bill of 9000/- ( which includes around 5000/- for engine oil) would have caught my attention
I got my fuel filter replaced.
No it is not the 1st service. The did a ECU upgrade which required replacement of fuel filter. And they did it free of charge.

Don't know what that upgrade was for. Neither do they.
Regarding the noise reduction software they said it is already there in my car. Right!
Regarding auto lock. They had no clue.

It is without a doubt they are baffled by the frequent upgrades VW sends them, but then I believe it is the fault of VW for not giving further details. However, with each upgrade they paste a sticker near the spare tyre to keep a track of what is loaded.

Contraty to popular beliefs and experiences my interaction with VW service was a pleasant one every time. In fact I would rate them right up to Chevy & Hyundai. And that is saying a lot.
oxyzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2011, 13:44   #199
BHPian
 
w0lf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 50
Thanked: 17 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento - User Discovered Features and Quirks

I am hearing of most of these features (easter eggs?) for the first time. Thank you for this extremely informative thread souravc, Nileshch, Noopster, Bala80, and Oxyzen.

The ability to lock the vehicle before closing all the doors will be particularly useful for most.
w0lf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2011, 02:08   #200
Senior - BHPian
 
souravc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 1,088
Thanked: 427 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento - User Discovered Features and Quirks

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
I got my fuel filter replaced.
No it is not the 1st service. The did a ECU upgrade which required replacement of fuel filter. And they did it free of charge.

Don't know what that upgrade was for. Neither do they.
Regarding the noise reduction software they said it is already there in my car. Right!
Regarding auto lock. They had no clue.
A fuel filter change after an ECU upgrade ? Umm its beyond my grey cells how these 2 are related at least you got it free ( are you sure that its a fuel filter and not an oil filter ? )

Quote:
Originally Posted by w0lf View Post
I am hearing of most of these features (easter eggs?) for the first time. Thank you for this extremely informative thread souravc, Nileshch, Noopster, Bala80, and Oxyzen.

The ability to lock the vehicle before closing all the doors will be particularly useful for most.
Not only were many of these a revelation for us , a few of them were new to the workshop guys too Indeed the lock system is extremely useful , one has to use it to really know how useful it is - especially in situations with a handful of shopping bags or where one has a sleepy kid to be carried out of the back seat .
Please feel free to add to the thread , small things add up in a big way
souravc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2011, 11:50   #201
Senior - BHPian
 
oxyzen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Not fixed.
Posts: 1,026
Thanked: 265 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento - User Discovered Features and Quirks

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
are you sure that its a fuel filter and not an oil filter ?
Affirmative!

But like you said, there is no logic whatsoever for a fuel filter change with an ecu upgrade.
oxyzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2011, 00:13   #202
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Kochi
Posts: 84
Thanked: 47 Times
Default VW advice for some known Vento/Polo issues

Hope this helps have added some training material on the TDI and the vento itself. Not a lot new I guess, but it was interesting for me..

Mods: may be a little bit off topic, but this appeared to be the single thread with the most info in this section on the vento.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Oil Consumption 2.pdf (84.6 KB, 681 views)
File Type: pdf Ring marks on steamed up glass.pdf (85.5 KB, 689 views)
File Type: pdf Turn signal indicator fogging.pdf (112.8 KB, 520 views)
File Type: pdf Squeaking.pdf (123.5 KB, 543 views)
File Type: pdf Noise from front of car.pdf (113.7 KB, 758 views)
File Type: pdf Shock absorber test for leaks.pdf (252.3 KB, 578 views)

Last edited by dingolphie : 26th December 2011 at 00:30. Reason: forgot the off topic disclaimer!!
dingolphie is offline   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2011, 14:50   #203
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,123
Thanked: 364 Times
Default Re: VW advice for some known Vento/Polo issues

@dingolphie - Excellent articles, thank you very much for sharing. Very informative and educative.

I was looking for something to address the "thunnk/thuudd" noise the suspension makes when running through a pothole at moderate speeds, couldn't find any. If you come across something, do post here.

Appreciate your efforts and thanks again for sharing it with all of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingolphie View Post
Hope this helps have added some training material on the TDI and the vento itself. Not a lot new I guess, but it was interesting for me..

Mods: may be a little bit off topic, but this appeared to be the single thread with the most info in this section on the vento.
bala80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2011, 18:27   #204
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Kochi
Posts: 84
Thanked: 47 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento - User Discovered Features and Quirks

No worries bala. I don't have anything on the suspension but I'll post if I find something out. I have some manuals, but dont know enough to make sense of it all!
dingolphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2012, 12:04   #205
BHPian
 
windsurfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Dundee, UK
Posts: 513
Thanked: 25 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento - User Discovered Features and Quirks

Folks,
I recently noticed that whenever the temp drops to 4 degrees or below, the MID flashes with the current temp (and a snowflake symbol). It flashes this for few seconds and the MID display goes back to previous screen. This happens when you start the car and also when you are driving.
windsurfer is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2012, 15:13   #206
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NA
Posts: 262
Thanked: 237 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento - User Discovered Features and Quirks

I noticed one feature in Vento TDI about auto accelaration at specific gears (i couldn't notice it in this thread, sorry if slipped from my attention).
If i keep it in 1st gear and release the clutch but don't accelerate then it maintains speed upto 10kmph, in 2nd gear it maintains speed upto 20kmph, in 3rd gear it remains upto 30kmph, in 4th gear it goes upto 40kmph and in 5th gear it goes upto 50kmph.

let me know if other owners have the same experience.
Nicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2012, 15:25   #207
Senior - BHPian
 
sagarpadaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,632
Thanked: 1,257 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento - User Discovered Features and Quirks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
I noticed one feature in Vento TDI about auto accelaration at specific gears (i couldn't notice it in this thread, sorry if slipped from my attention).
If i keep it in 1st gear and release the clutch but don't accelerate then it maintains speed upto 10kmph, in 2nd gear it maintains speed upto 20kmph, in 3rd gear it remains upto 30kmph, in 4th gear it goes upto 40kmph and in 5th gear it goes upto 50kmph.

let me know if other owners have the same experience.

This is a feature in all modern diesels.i20 Crdi also does the same speed at the above mentioned RPM's.The ECU does this to prevent engine from stalling.Maybe its also due to the enormous torque at lower RPM in diesels.This feature is called as auto governing IIRC
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2012, 01:41   #208
Senior - BHPian
 
souravc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 1,088
Thanked: 427 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento - User Discovered Features and Quirks

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurfer View Post
Folks,
I recently noticed that whenever the temp drops to 4 degrees or below, the MID flashes with the current temp (and a snowflake symbol). It flashes this for few seconds and the MID display goes back to previous screen. This happens when you start the car and also when you are driving.
Folks in Delhi and up North should be able to confirm that - we in Mumbai are still way off from enjoying the flake sign
souravc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2012, 23:10   #209
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,123
Thanked: 364 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento - User Discovered Features and Quirks

I dont know if this qualifies to be a quirk, but thanks to an member in the skoda rapid TD thread for bringing this up.

The bonnet cannot be opened with the front driver side door closed, this is by design as the door pad hinders the movement of bonnet release lever. You need to necessarily open the front doors to open the hood.

I dont know if this design was intentional or considered as a safety feature by VW.
bala80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2012, 00:51   #210
Senior - BHPian
 
souravc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 1,088
Thanked: 427 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento - User Discovered Features and Quirks

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
I dont know if this qualifies to be a quirk, but thanks to an member in the skoda rapid TD thread for bringing this up.

The bonnet cannot be opened with the front driver side door closed, this is by design as the door pad hinders the movement of bonnet release lever. You need to necessarily open the front doors to open the hood.

I dont know if this design was intentional or considered as a safety feature by VW.
Post # 69 , page - 5 on this thread refers to the same .
We already felt the pain when we visited the malls / hotels quite a few months back
souravc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Reuters : Has Volkswagen discovered the Holy Grail of carmakers? Anghammarad The International Automotive Scene 17 19th November 2016 12:38
Hidden features you discovered in your car after regular usage SumitBahl The Indian Car Scene 236 26th October 2015 19:26
Communication/behavioral quirks in India? B103 Shifting gears 2 3rd June 2014 21:16
Volkswagen Vento Diesel Highline gets some more features GTO The Indian Car Scene 42 10th April 2012 22:07
1000bhp Testarossa discovered. X-Machine The International Automotive Scene 9 28th September 2004 21:51


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 14:55.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks