Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 1st February 2012, 13:28   #226
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Volkswagen Vento - User Discovered Features and Quirks

Yes this is true, but this isnt a feature exclusive to the vento either. Even aftermarket remote locking systems provide this functionality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plain.vanilla View Post
Another feature that I noticed in the Vento is that if you unlock the car using the remote but do not physically open any of the doors, the car locks itself up again in approximately 30 seconds.
bala80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2012, 13:08   #227
Senior - BHPian

Was reading up on the ABS (Bosch 8.2 system) in the vento when came across the following

- Emergency hazard warning flashing on braking force greater than 7m/s

If true, this would qualify for a place in this thread, however I personally havent experienced this so far. Anyone who can verify?

Last edited by bala80 : 5th February 2012 at 13:09.
Old 5th February 2012, 15:59   #228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
Was reading up on the ABS (Bosch 8.2 system) in the vento when came across the following

- Emergency hazard warning flashing on braking force greater than 7m/s

If true, this would qualify for a place in this thread, however I personally havent experienced this so far. Anyone who can verify?
I think its the deceleration that's being referred to here rather than the brake force or pressure , 7 m /sec squared means roughly 100 - 0 kmph in 4 secs . I doubt whether Vento's brakes or any of the mid range sedan's have that much of braking power available .
Sorry I can't even volunteer to test that too
souravc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2012, 19:17   #229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
I think its the deceleration that's being referred to here rather than the brake force or pressure , 7 m /sec squared means roughly 100 - 0 kmph in 4 secs . I doubt whether Vento's brakes or any of the mid range sedan's have that much of braking power available .
Not sure whether I can post about a Linea here. But I have seen my friends Linea flashing all 4 lights under severe hard braking (in BLR highway). I witnessed the MJD coming to a grinding halt because of a last minute unexpected lane change of a lorry. I was at about 160 (mine is a T-Jet) when MJD overtook me to immediately brake because of the lorry! Actually this works.

My heart actually skipped a few beats though since I thought it was the end of my friend (almost the nose of the MJD was a few inches from the underbelly of the lorry).. It was really scary.

Last edited by Sathya_sc : 5th February 2012 at 19:19.
Sathya_sc is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2012, 19:30   #230
Senior - BHPian

Lol, Souravc, you are right. It is the deceleration that is mentioned here and under hard braking, the hazard lights automatically turn on to indicate the same to the other road users.

Ford advertised this as a feature in Figo and hence thought I would post it up here too.

On a serious note, anyone experienced ABS kicking in the vento yet?

Quote:
Old 5th February 2012, 21:28   #231
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80
Sorry to butt in. Many of the features mentioned in this thread are found in the Jetta too (atleast the new one) . And some of us Jetta owners have been following this thread. Keep up the good work guys!
ABS kicked in the Jetta once. It probably saved my life that day. While returning from igatpuri from a TBHP meet, I was at a blind left curve doing some 100 - 120. Suddenly a family of 3 decided to cross the road which took me by shock. I slammed hard on the brakes. The pedal started "pumping" and the car did not screech. Instead, it slowed down rapidly and felt rough as if driving on a broken road (which I guess is how the abs works) . Braking hard without ABS on that curve would have surely led me into the divider.
lamboguy is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2012, 22:57   #232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
Sorry to butt in. Many of the features mentioned in this thread are found in the Jetta too (atleast the new one) . And some of us Jetta owners have been following this thread. Keep up the good work guys!
ABS kicked in the Jetta once. It probably saved my life that day. While returning from igatpuri from a TBHP meet, I was at a blind left curve doing some 100 - 120. Suddenly a family of 3 decided to cross the road which took me by shock. I slammed hard on the brakes. The pedal started "pumping" and the car did not screech. Instead, it slowed down rapidly and felt rough as if driving on a broken road (which I guess is how the abs works) . Braking hard without ABS on that curve would have surely led me into the divider.
Woah! Is that the effect of ABS? Then that has happened to me a few times. Of course, in my case it always has been the occasional (invisible) speed breakers that I miss out seeing while at high speeds, thankfully never the kid or the family on the road. Honestly, everytime it happened, I always used to think there was something wrong with the brakes, never thought it was the ABS Infact I tried repeating it immediately but never could re-create the exact scenario.

Lol. Now I understand. Could you also clear one more confusion for me? How would presence of EBD improve the situation as compared to only ABS?

Last edited by ninjatalli : 5th February 2012 at 23:06.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2012, 10:25   #233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sathya_sc View Post
Not sure whether I can post about a Linea here. But I have seen my friends Linea flashing all 4 lights under severe hard braking (in BLR highway).
Thanks Sathya - this feature can surely prevent a rear ending !

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
l. Now I understand. Could you also clear one more confusion for me? How would presence of EBD improve the situation as compared to only ABS?
ABS had kicked in once for my car at much slower speeds of around 50 kmph but the road was a dry under construction road with gravels strewn all over . I was overtaking a truck when it veered towards the right ( into my path ) and I had to slam my brakes hard to prevent myself from slamming into a flyover pillar. There is a thud-thud feel on the brakes when it kicks in.
EBD helps in distribution of brake force to take care of situations where there are significantly varying grips in various tyres [ like for example say when you brake the left rear tyre is on an oil patch on the road, the right rear tyre on dry concrete , the right front on a patch of grease and left front on grass ] EBD will allow brake force distribution of varying degrees onto each tyre , without EBD the oil patch and grease would rule assuming they allow the least grip .

The bosch units have EBD + ABS standard and I think thats the case with the units on Vento too - trust the Germans to miss out mentioning stuff !

@ Ninja - given that you are a Ninja , can you please try out the flashing lights under extreme braking ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
Lol, Souravc, you are right. It is the deceleration that is mentioned here and under hard braking, the hazard lights automatically turn on to indicate the same to the other road users.

Ford advertised this as a feature in Figo and hence thought I would post it up here too.

A few of us have - you have better tyres now so the chances of your experiencing ABS has reduced

Last edited by souravc : 6th February 2012 at 10:32.
souravc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2012, 12:14   #234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@ Ninja - given that you are a Ninja , can you please try out the flashing lights under extreme braking ?
lol.

7m/s would mean a 100 to 0 in less than 4 seconds. I wonder if I'll be able to replicate such a test scenario. Also I didn't know the Vento brakes were capable of doing that!
ninjatalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2012, 13:25   #235
BHPian

Post deleted by Team-BHP Support Team. There are numerous threads discussing how ABS/EBD work on the forums. Please limit this thread to user-discovered features and quirks in the VW Vento. ABS is hardly one of those

Last edited by noopster : 6th February 2012 at 13:47.
anToNIcHeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2012, 02:33   #236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Woah! Is that the effect of ABS? Then that has happened to me a few times. Of course, in my case it always has been the occasional (invisible) speed breakers that I miss out seeing while at high speeds, thankfully never the kid or the family on the road. Honestly, everytime it happened, I always used to think there was something wrong with the brakes, never thought it was the ABS Infact I tried repeating it immediately but never could re-create the exact scenario.

Lol. Now I understand. Could you also clear one more confusion for me? How would presence of EBD improve the situation as compared to only ABS?
Same here happened to me a few times at speeds of 40-70kmph when I had to brake suddenly before a speedbraker or pothole. The pedal would vibrate, and there would be a grinding noise coming from the brakes with the feeling of driving over a rough patch. Even I though something was wrong with the brakes as I never noticed the ABS sign light up or any beep when this happened though I was never paying attention.

Has anyone else noticed the ABS sign light up when that happens?

Last edited by Abhinav.Daos : 7th February 2012 at 02:35.
Abhinav.Daos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2012, 20:13   #237
Senior - BHPian

ABS sign will not light up when it kicks in. It will only light up if the ABS unit malfunctions .It will momentarily flash during the vehicle start-up when all the systems are checked for any issues but not thereafter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhinav.Daos View Post
Has anyone else noticed the ABS sign light up when that happens?
Old 8th February 2012, 00:24   #238
BHPian

@ People who have gotten their speed-sensing locks activated: Has anyone gotten it done in Mumbai. I booked my Dec 2011, Beige @ Tornedo Motors in S'Cruz, but the RM seemed unaware about the feature.
Annibaddh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2012, 01:27   #239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annibaddh View Post
@ People who have gotten their speed-sensing locks activated: Has anyone gotten it done in Mumbai. I booked my Dec 2011, Beige @ Tornedo Motors in S'Cruz, but the RM seemed unaware about the feature.
You should try to talk to someone on the workshop floor about it as the sales people can be ignorant of such features.
Abhinav.Daos is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2012, 16:53   #240
Senior - BHPian

Please refer fellow member souravc ownership thread, he has provided all the details in there. You can click on his handle on either one his posts and find threads started by him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annibaddh View Post
bala80 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote