Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 29th August 2011, 02:38   #31
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Volkswagen Vento - User Discovered Features and Quirks

All ACC starts with a delay, as far as i have seen. Be it Laura, Civic, Fortuner or i20.
abhibh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2011, 04:34   #32
BHPian

Folks, please don't degenerate this thread into a comparison with other cars. This is also not a thread for Vento owners claiming it has the best features in the A, B, C, D, E whatever car segment.

All we are trying to do is to document all the features that are not explained properly by SAs or absent at the time of delivery and quirks that we need to be aware of.

If Punto MJD E+ Bluemotion pack or Laura Ambiente 2.0 TDI DSG or Hyundai i20 1.4L Asta AT have these and gazillion other features since when I was a kid, so be it. How does it help us Vento owners here?

Last edited by nileshch : 29th August 2011 at 04:39.
nileshch is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2011, 08:15   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
Folks, please don't degenerate this thread into a comparison with other cars. This is also not a thread for Vento owners claiming it has the best features in the A, B, C, D, E whatever car segment.

All we are trying to do is to document all the features that are not explained properly by SAs or absent at the time of delivery and quirks that we need to be aware of.
Well said Nilesh. I don’t own a Vento, but this thread is an interesting read, and I guess this can become a good reference repository for the Vento.

IMHO, if comparisons are coming in, best is to ignore those rather than getting into arguments (helps to keep the thread clean). Instead, if a response goes back with a negative remark on an alternate brand, its fodder for arguments.
vb-san is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2011, 18:29   #34
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Note from Mod : Please stick ONLY to the topic.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2011, 19:12   #35
Team-BHP Support

I re-read the opening post and, with a few exceptions, most of the features/quirks listed were in fact "new" to me. Got me thinking: the Vento is probably an upgrade for most owners on the forum, either from a hatchback or an entry-sedan (classic example: my case, from Swift/ Accent).

Hence these features seem exciting. Especially since the pre-sales experience was almost uniformly below-average for all of us. Discovering these little nuances is part of the ownership experience: I for one thrilled in delight when I discovered the "last door-lock" or the "boot-only unlock/lock" feature.

To be fair, this thread has all the potential to meander into either a tedious listing of all the features on a Vento (presumably easily available somewhere or the other) or a fanboy club where we Vento owners rave/rant on while the world looks on bemused.

The only reason I consider this an immensely useful thread is that VW seems to be NOT activating all features consistently on all cars. This is the reason a lot of these posts started appearing on the Vento TD thread (the auto-lock one was mine, long ago, at GTO's suggestion since he is absolutely positive that the test mule he drove lacked that feature). Spinning it off into a separate thread was a natural outcome of this.

Must admit: there's not much here for anyone who's NOT an actual/potential owner.

Edit: Thought of another: the fuel lid does not have a separate popping switch.As long as the car is not centrally locked, it can be pressed open. Convenient but a little scary at our petrol pumps.

Last edited by noopster : 29th August 2011 at 19:37.
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2011, 22:22   #36
BHPian

Something I discovered:

Incase the petrol pump attendant is filling fuel and you lock the doors before he closes the lid, when you unlock the door next time even the lid will get unlocked and pop-out (and will ofcourse not pop-back in when you re-lock).
Abhinav.Daos is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2011, 06:27   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k

So while restarting, the lights would come on first or is it after the engine is started with some interlocks.
The Fiats/Premiers had such an interlock. Headlights would be ON only if the ignition is turned on. But this had a problem, the head lights would be on while cranking overloading the battery as starter motor takes almost the full amp rating of the battery.
I checked this again. The headlights switch on as soon as the ignition is in the on position, even before you start the car. They stay on when starting the car again. However, like other cars, they dim a little when cranking the engine.
nileshch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2011, 10:02   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
To be fair, this thread has all the potential to meander into either a tedious listing of all the features on a Vento (presumably easily available somewhere or the other) or a fanboy club where we Vento owners rave/rant on while the world looks on bemused.
On the bright side, one of you might end up discovering an easter egg, like the famous flight simulator in Excel 97.

Last edited by pravingmh : 30th August 2011 at 10:03. Reason: grammatical error
pravingmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2011, 12:03   #39
BHPian

Thanks a lot sauravc for this awesome thread. I'm sure this will help a lot of Vento owners. Truly appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhinav.Daos View Post
Something I discovered:

Incase the petrol pump attendant is filling fuel and you lock the doors before he closes the lid, when you unlock the door next time even the lid will get unlocked and pop-out (and will ofcourse not pop-back in when you re-lock).
I tried this. Unlocked the car, opened the fuel lid, locked the car, closed the fuel lid, unlocked the car...but the lid did not pop out! Could you try this with your car?

SOME OF MY OBSERVATIONS FOLLOW.

TRIP METER

Vento has 3 trip memories! The first one, which I will call the PRIMARY as it’s accessible by single touch and also measures distance traveled in 1/10 KM increments, is displayed in place of the Odometer by pressing the 0.0/SET button below the MID. You can switch between the Odometer and the primary trip displays and reset the trip details by long pressing the same button.

Name:  1 TRIP METER 800x600.jpg
Views: 5335
Size:  84.7 KB

There are two other SECONDARY trip memories accessible by the OK/RESET button on the wiper stalk.

All three memories run concurrently but can be independently reset. I noticed that the two secondary memories have separate timers. I say this because on a trip to Gurgaon, both reset to ‘0’, they logged different journey times for the same distance travelled.

Trip memory 1: Journey time

Name:  2 TRIP 1 JOURNEY TIME 800x600.jpg
Views: 4868
Size:  81.6 KB

Trip memory 2: Journey time

Name:  3 TRIP 2 JOURNEY TIME 800x600.jpg
Views: 4882
Size:  75.0 KB

Trip memory 1: Distance traveled

Name:  4 TRIP 1 DISTANCE 800x600.jpg
Views: 4838
Size:  76.3 KB

Trip memory 2: Distance traveled

Name:  5 TRIP 2 DISTANCE 800x600.jpg
Views: 4877
Size:  50.5 KB

I assume that the journey time and/or average speed is also factored into the fuel efficiency calculations as different figures for fuel consumption were also indicated.

Trip memory 1: Fuel economy

Name:  6 TRIP 1 KMPL 800x600.jpg
Views: 4849
Size:  76.8 KB

Trip memory 2: Fuel economy

Name:  7 TRIP 2 KMPL 800x600.jpg
Views: 4854
Size:  76.7 KB

ACC

- The ACC blower is automatic regardless of whether ‘AUTO’ mode is selected. For example when starting the car on a hot day, even with AUTO de-selected, the blower starts at a higher speed then settles down when the cabin temp reduces.

- When the sky is partly cloudy, I’ve noticed that when the sun disappears behind clouds the blower goes down a notch and when the sun reappears it goes up a notch!

- Raising the selected temp causes the heater to activate momentarily to immediately raise the temp.

- If you have activated ‘AUTO’ and change the blower speed, the ‘AUTO’ gets cancelled. If you change back to the earlier blower speed the ‘AUTO’ gets enabled again.

- The default air flow direction, when no specific direction is selected, is towards the face.

- Rear vent air flow can be increased, not by much though, by increasing blower speed and/or by closing one or more of the forward vents.

- The ‘AUTO’ is quite useless keeping in mind the automation that’s there already.

THE ANTI THEFT SYSTEM

- Has a lag of about 10 seconds. Try locking yourself inside the car. You are free to dance about for about that much time after which the system will activate. Motion detection is quite sensitive.

Sorry for the long post and the quality of the BB pics.
STARCHILD is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2011, 18:06   #40
Senior - BHPian

I would like to know the AC chilling factor when outside temp. is above 35 C? Though the blowers are adjusted towards them, many of them who occupy rear seats have complained about the chilling especially in rear, but the Front blowers are doing their job well.These are my AC settings:
AC temp: 18 C
Recirculation mode
Air blowing towards the face
Fan speed: Full
Glasses are not Tinted

I've noticed the same problem in Jetta in spite of having the rear Knee level AC vent as in Vento.
Would like to know how others feel about the same?

Last edited by Ramsagar : 31st August 2011 at 18:10.
Ramsagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2011, 18:36   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsagar View Post
I would like to know the AC chilling factor when outside temp. is above 35 C? Though the blowers are adjusted towards them, many of them who occupy rear seats have complained about the chilling especially in rear, but the Front blowers are doing their job well.These are my AC settings:
AC temp: 18 C
Recirculation mode
Air blowing towards the face
Fan speed: Full
Glasses are not Tinted

I've noticed the same problem in Jetta in spite of having the rear Knee level AC vent as in Vento.
Would like to know how others feel about the same?
For faster chilling in the rear seats , reduce the front vent flow through using the rotatory rolling knobs provided alongside each of the front vents. This would ensure that the rear vents have a larger volume of (cold) air flowing out which would serve your purpose. No tints and 35 deg outside should not be any problem , the AC is powerful enough - you just have to get used to "sharing' the cooled air
One more tip , if you have parked your car in the sun - lower the windows for a few minutes ( with or without the AC turned on ) , helps in faster cooling. I make use of the remote to roll down the windows while walking towards the car to let the warm air escape , run the AC for a couple of minutes before rolling up the windows. Since you do not have tints , it would help you.
cheers
souravc is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2011, 18:55   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
reduce the front vent flow through using the rotatory rolling knobs provided alongside each of the front vents. This would ensure that the rear vents have a larger volume of (cold) air flowing out which would serve your purpose.
Thanks souravc.

Any tips on adjusting the front arm rest. When I completely open and close the armrest, it hits the H.Brake i.e the lowest position and is not comfortable to rest my arm, I try my best to set at the middle level and it gets set at highest position.

Last edited by Ramsagar : 31st August 2011 at 18:56.
Ramsagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2011, 19:06   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsagar View Post
Thanks souravc.

Any tips on adjusting the front arm rest. When I completely open and close the armrest, it hits the H.Brake i.e the lowest position and is not comfortable to rest my arm, I try my best to set at the middle level and it gets set at highest position.
Ramsagar , I guess you would have to find the sweet spot yourself - I can only share my experience . There are 4 positions of the arm rest , my most comfortable position is the 2nd position from the lowermost level. In this position the armrest points upwards at an apprx 5-10 degrees tilt rather than being completely horizontal and the hand brake can be pulled up by me by just moving the wrist alongside the armrest and extending my fingers .
As far setting this position is concerned , the arm rest locks at each of these position unless you move it up (by a significant margin ) to reach the next higher position till you reach the reset position which is the highest. I guess it needs a bit of getting used to but the arm rest is a boon for a long drive .
souravc is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2011, 06:05   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARCHILD View Post
TRIP METER

Vento has 3 trip memories!

<snip>

There are two other SECONDARY trip memories accessible by the OK/RESET button on the wiper stalk.

All three memories run concurrently but can be independently reset. I noticed that the two secondary memories have separate timers. I say this because on a trip to Gurgaon, both reset to ‘0’, they logged different journey times for the same distance travelled.
I was trying to figure out why both the secondary memories (Trip 1 & 2) run concurrently and discovered this --

The second memory (Trip 2) is actually a long term timer. It can be used to monitor multiple trips logged in Trip 1. The manual says Trip 2 is a "Total journey memory" and Trip 1 is "Trip memory".

Heck, I was using Trip 2 wrongly all these days!!

Here is the specific page from the manual:

Volkswagen Vento - User Discovered Features and Quirks-img_0704small.jpg
nileshch is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2011, 07:38   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post

Getting in and out - Am 5'11" and I find it a bit difficult to get in. I bang my head at times.
Happened to me when I was checking my friend's ride
nomadabhi is offline   Reply With Quote