Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 24th September 2013, 22:17   #481
BHPian

Not sure if this is discovered earlier, if you keep you cabin lights on ( not on via door open or initial unlock but manually on ) and try to lock ur car, the lights strobe/flicker to warn that you have forgotten to turn of the lights
newtonMeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2013, 22:19   #482
DRC
BHPian

Default Re: Volkswagen Vento - User Discovered Features and Quirks

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtonMeter View Post
Not sure if this is discovered earlier, if you keep you cabin lights on ( not on via door open or initial unlock but manually on ) and try to lock ur car, the lights strobe/flicker to warn that you have forgotten to turn of the lights
and they eventually go off, even in ON position. This prevents the battery from draining.
DRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2013, 22:23   #483
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rauldsouza View Post
At times I have trouble defrogging the front windshield. I'll check for dirt or obstrcutions. Some days it works in seconds some days it has no effect. does it really matter to have AC on or off when defrogging.
De'fog'ging it is. Yes, it matters a lot to have the A/C on while defogging the front windshield.

Fogging occurs mostly when the temperature of the windshield itself is different than the air in contact with it, and when the air contains a lot of water vapor. Also, the evaporator coil will condense vapor present in the air, while the A/C is on, and thus drain some water vapor that was present as fog. Hence, the fan alone won't be able to reduce the temperature difference fast and also to remove the vapor.

But, soon after your windshield is cleared, direct further air away from the windshield, but maintain the same temperature used for defogging to cool/warm the cabin air, or else the glass will again attain a different temperature than the air in contact, this time may be from the outside so that you might need to use the wiper.
thoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2013, 09:38   #484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC View Post
BTW, I miss the clock, visible to every one. clock on instrument cluster makes me feel, time is too private info for the driver
Doesn't the OEM music system also show the time? I am guessing though I don't remember very well -- I replaced my music system and the new one show the current time all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtonMeter View Post
Now that's interesting.
nileshch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2013, 11:19   #485
DRC
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
Doesn't the OEM music system also show the time? I am guessing though I don't remember very well -- I replaced my music system and the new one show the current time all the time.
Unfortunately, no, the music system does not show the time. I wish it had.

One more funny quirk, the rear AC vent can not be closed. This along with the large transmission tunnel hump, can cause serious discomfort the the person sitting in the rear middle seat.
DRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2013, 09:20   #486
Distinguished - BHPian

Not to put off Vento users, but most features discussed in the first post, are applicable to other Euro Cars as well, heck my cheaper Figo has almost similar features.

I checked upon this thread as I was supposed to drive a Vento HL in blue tomorrow for a ~400kms drive. And glad to know, there are no quirks.

Waiting to experience the torque surge tomorrow
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2013, 12:33   #487
BHPian

Hi guys, got a doubt. If i use the child lock in my rear doors, i'm unable to open the door from inside even after pressing the unlock button. Is this too one of the so called safety feature of VW ? Please help.
drpudhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2013, 13:53   #488
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpudhi View Post
If i use the child lock in my rear doors, i'm unable to open the door from inside even after pressing the unlock button.
That is why they are called 'child' locks. A child (or for that matter anybody else) in the rear seat should not be able to open the door from inside in any way. The reason is that the rear doors should be opened only under supervision (by a person from outside), after the unlock button is pressed.
thoma is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 11:32   #489
BHPian

Got a call from Volksvagen today regarding a 6 month general checkup. Do I need to keep in mind any changes or quirks apart from a oil top up (maybe).This I believe is a complimentary checkup. PS: Just 4k on the odo.
rauldsouza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 11:55   #490
BHPian

Quote:
Got a call from Volksvagen today regarding a 6 month general checkup. Do I need to keep in mind any changes or quirks apart from a oil top up (maybe).This I believe is a complimentary checkup. PS: Just 4k on the odo.
Ensure they don't charge you exorbitantly for the labour charge. They charged me 450 for 4 hours
newtonMeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 12:17   #491
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Simply put, its a waste of time to go over the workshop for this mere formality which VW has started to entice the customers who are used to Maruti/Honda free service stuff.

Just have a look by yourself to check engine oil & coolant level. At most you could get a 1 L bottle of engine oil and top it up by yourself.
el lobo 6061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2013, 16:01   #492
Distinguished - BHPian

Had a question on the passenger airbag. The manual states that the passenger airbag can be turned off by turning a switch (similar to the child lock) which is present in the top right corner of the glove compartment. I checked and what is present is just a normal screw that seems to be covering this area. Looks like this feature does not exist in our vento Models and the screw is a dummy. Is this right? Or can the passenger airbag be turned off?
Rajeevraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2013, 16:43   #493
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Had a question on the passenger airbag. The manual states that the passenger airbag can be turned off by turning a switch (similar to the child lock) which is present in the top right corner of the glove compartment. I checked and what is present is just a normal screw that seems to be covering this area. Looks like this feature does not exist in our vento Models and the screw is a dummy. Is this right? Or can the passenger airbag be turned off?
Don't go by the manual. For example the manual I got for my polo TSI was a common booklet for nearly half dozen polo variants across globe. They show all sorts of gadgets that we might never get in India. And to answer your query, No the passenger air bag can't be disabled.

Last edited by drpudhi : 4th December 2013 at 16:44.
drpudhi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2013, 11:55   #494
BHPian

Any Tips on cleaning the vento floor mats, I gave it to 3M they reduced the stains, however its still dirty.
rauldsouza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2013, 09:18   #495
BHPian

We Friends brought two Ventos and a Polo from Apple VW-Bangalore.

What I noted in my vento(reflex Silver) is that it supports iPod, without any issues. I am able to play my iPod, without any issues, by just connecting iPod to USB port, through its charging cable :-)

Also I noted, that the cable carelessly dangling below, as reported in the review

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post2026796 (Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review)

Any solution? Does this needs to be fixed?

Last edited by manjubp : 8th December 2013 at 09:31.
manjubp is offline   Reply With Quote