Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 28th August 2011, 17:19   #1
BHPian

Not enough can be talked about how cheap some of the stuff is, that goes in a few of these Tata cars. I would like to talk about an incident that happened a couple of hours ago.

While driving a 4000 kms old Tata Indigo CS (Diesel) on Surat - Baroda highway, which is a six-laned smooth road, the bonnet suddenly flew open at around 80 kmph. The impact that the windscreen took was bad. The windscreen stands broken and bent inwards (pictures would follow in a couple of hours). The bonnet does not sit back properly in the lock, and is protruding upwards.

This could have resulted in far worse calamity, and as all of you would understand, we rather got away unscathed.

The damage has been done, but I would not remain silent. If it were to be a rusty, two-year old car I might have understood. But a two month old, 5000 km driven car ends up like this?!! What might the actions be that I take?

Please advice! Thanks

Here are the pictures that everyone's been waiting for.

I had a lengthy talk with the regional office and CSM based out of Surat. After a lot of argument, they have agreed to repair the car at their cost (without the interference of insurance). They find it very unnatural for the bonnet to unlock by itself. The lock seemed intact, but the locking mechanism was a bit stiff.

I would like your advice on how to proceed further against Tata?
Attached Thumbnails
Bonnet flies open in my new Tata Indigo CS and shatters the windscreen - now what?-20110829-10.27.28.jpg  

Bonnet flies open in my new Tata Indigo CS and shatters the windscreen - now what?-20110829-10.11.02.jpg  

Bonnet flies open in my new Tata Indigo CS and shatters the windscreen - now what?-20110829-10.14.36.jpg  

Bonnet flies open in my new Tata Indigo CS and shatters the windscreen - now what?-20110829-10.16.33.jpg  

Bonnet flies open in my new Tata Indigo CS and shatters the windscreen - now what?-20110829-10.11.23.jpg  

Bonnet flies open in my new Tata Indigo CS and shatters the windscreen - now what?-20110829-10.12.08.jpg  

Last edited by GTO : 1st September 2011 at 15:05. Reason: Adding your pics to the opening post itself
mathranik is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2011, 17:32   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Bonnet flies open in my new Tata Indigo CS and shatters the windscreen - now what

Thank God that none got injured including pedestrians around. TATA Motors has to answer for it provided that the driver of the car has not left the bonnet open, presumed as driver driven as your car has clocked 5K kms in two months. You can claim insurance for the damages. Btb, is it a taxi?

Last edited by rajeev k : 28th August 2011 at 17:33.
rajeev k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2011, 17:35   #3
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: Bonnet flies open in my new Tata Indigo CS and shatters the windscreen - now what

Take a few pics and write out a stern email to Tata Motors, not that it's going to elicit a reaction but at least you would have registered for what it's worth and also keep the mail filed.
Durango Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2011, 17:45   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Thank God that none got injured including pedestrians around. TATA Motors has to answer for it provided that the driver of the car has not left the bonnet open, presumed as driver driven as your car has clocked 5K kms in two months. You can claim insurance for the damages. Btb, is it a taxi?
Thank you. No, it isn't a taxi. I will definitely claim insurance, but it is more about the quality than anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
Take a few pics and write out a stern email to Tata Motors, not that it's going to elicit a reaction but at least you would have registered for what it's worth and also keep the mail filed.
On the phone with tata toll-free customer service. They are least helpful!
mathranik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2011, 17:50   #5
Senior - BHPian

Hope you guys are fine. please post a picture for us so that we can try to trouble shoot it for you
geeash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2011, 18:01   #6
Senior - BHPian

Please check the cable which unlocks the Bonnet, is that intact?
Is the spring mechanism intact?

That can be one of the reasons, the other being a faulty locking mechanism itself.

YES do follow up with TATA as this is very very serious and not at all acceptable in a car which is so new!

I cant imagine what you must have felt at the moment when it happened.
silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2011, 18:03   #7
Senior - BHPian

A rather unsettling experience I must say. More so considering its a new car. Glad that you came out safe, could have easily been much worse. Do post some pics of the damage. A faulty bonnet lock can be the culprit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathranik View Post
...The bonnet does not sit back properly in the lock, and is protruding upwards....
Was it so since day-1? If yes, wasn't it detected in the PDI? If no, did you not bring it to the dealer's attention whenever you noticed this?

EDIT: Or is it so after the incident? Meaning, it did not protrude earlier and looked normal.

Last edited by Dry Ice : 28th August 2011 at 18:06.
Dry Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2011, 18:03   #8
BHPian

That is really shocking. Please post the pics soon. Thank God that you all are safe and came out unscratched. You should take the matter to TATA motors higher officials.
HappyRoadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2011, 18:23   #9
BHPian

Man ! That sounds scary. Can't even think of this happening with me. The usual speeds I do on good highways is much more than 80. And I drive a TATA too... Please post the pics. And ask TATA for some stern action. Or even better, file a case stating the facts.(Personal opinion, but I would have done that.) Only then would manufacturers wake up and take note of it.

BTW, are you sure that the car had not met with any accidents earlier and a shoddy repair wasn't done ?

Last edited by DieselAddikt : 28th August 2011 at 18:25.
DieselAddikt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2011, 18:45   #10
Senior - BHPian

That's bad. But, I have seen a Mahindra Scorpio pretty bad maintained too involved in a similar accident. It was on 60-70kmph when the bonnet suddenly opened and damaged the windscreen and this happened on a ghat. Nothing bad happened to anyone.

Last edited by mercedised : 28th August 2011 at 18:47.
mercedised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2011, 19:04   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
That's bad. But, I have seen a Mahindra Scorpio pretty bad maintained too in pretty similar accident. It wan on 60-70kmph when the bonnet suddenly opened and damaged the windscreen and this happened on a ghat. Nothing bad happened to anyone.
I can empathize, having gone through the same nightmare a few hours back. Scary as hell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselAddikt View Post
Man ! That sounds scary. Can't even think of this happening with me. The usual speeds I do on good highways is much more than 80. And I drive a TATA too... Please post the pics. And ask TATA for some stern action. Or even better, file a case stating the facts.(Personal opinion, but I would have done that.) Only then would manufacturers wake up and take note of it.

BTW, are you sure that the car had not met with any accidents earlier and a shoddy repair wasn't done ?
It was an experience I am trying to forget quickly. The road warranted a 100kmph, but as luck was on my side, I was doing a more sedate 780 kmph. Tata has been warned by me through a couple of channels for swift action. I am waiting until tomorrow morning, since today is a Sunday.

The car is brand new, has had absolutely no accidents and there is no repair ever done on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRoadie View Post
That is really shocking. Please post the pics soon. Thank God that you all are safe and came out unscratched. You should take the matter to TATA motors higher officials.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
A rather unsettling experience I must say. More so considering its a new car. Glad that you came out safe, could have easily been much worse. Do post some pics of the damage. A faulty bonnet lock can be the culprit.

Was it so since day-1? If yes, wasn't it detected in the PDI? If no, did you not bring it to the dealer's attention whenever you noticed this?

EDIT: Or is it so after the incident? Meaning, it did not protrude earlier and looked normal.
This was after the incident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
Please check the cable which unlocks the Bonnet, is that intact?
Is the spring mechanism intact?

That can be one of the reasons, the other being a faulty locking mechanism itself.

YES do follow up with TATA as this is very very serious and not at all acceptable in a car which is so new!

I cant imagine what you must have felt at the moment when it happened.
I am shaken and stirred! Have to check the bonnet cable. The car is being towed back to Surat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeash View Post
Hope you guys are fine. please post a picture for us so that we can try to trouble shoot it for you
Give me a few hours and I will do that.
Old 28th August 2011, 19:16   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathranik View Post
It was an experience I am trying to forget quickly. The road warranted a 100kmph, but as luck was on my side, I was doing a more sedate 780 kmph. Tata has been warned by me through a couple of channels for swift action. I am waiting until tomorrow morning, since today is a Sunday.

The car is brand new, has had absolutely no accidents and there is no repair ever done on it.
Good that you were doing sedate speeds and nothing happened. Hope you get over it soon. But do see to it that something has been done by TATA.

We are so very helpless in our own country. Hope the situation improves soon with all the reforms happening off late.
DieselAddikt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2011, 19:27   #13
Senior - BHPian

There has to be some serious negligence somewhere, most likely at the service center during first service, which I imagine has been done.

But again, I seriously doubt that this was a manufacturing defect. Something like this would be pretty easy to spot.

Also, another point, how come you drove 5000kms without this incident happening at all. Was this your first highway drive, where you went over 70kmph for a long period of time.

Becuase, if it was a defect from the manufacturing side, ie present during delivery, then I think it would have happened a lot earlier than 5000kms.

May be some recent damage?? Not necessarily accident. May be the locking mechanism was opened and not fixed properly.
julupani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2011, 19:37   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
There has to be some serious negligence somewhere, most likely at the service center during first service, which I imagine has been done.

But again, I seriously doubt that this was a manufacturing defect. Something like this would be pretty easy to spot.

Also, another point, how come you drove 5000kms without this incident happening at all. Was this your first highway drive, where you went over 70kmph for a long period of time.

Becuase, if it was a defect from the manufacturing side, ie present during delivery, then I think it would have happened a lot earlier than 5000kms.

May be some recent damage?? Not necessarily accident. May be the locking mechanism was opened and not fixed properly.
There may be a manufacturing defect, because it might have taken some time for a presumably faulty bonnet lock to seriously give away, and it took 5000 kms for it! There has been no damage at all, otherwise. I know Tata can be miserable - the indicators and cabin light hasn't been working for 15 days now, two wheel caps have flown away, the dashboard has started to rattle and I feel hopeless about the car.

I am pretty positive it has to do with quality. I have not really seen such an incident before.

P.S. : I own a Fluidic Verna (Done 12k kms already), Toyota Innova, Tata Manza and this car. I can definitely compare quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselAddikt View Post
Good that you were doing sedate speeds and nothing happened. Hope you get over it soon. But do see to it that something has been done by TATA.

We are so very helpless in our own country. Hope the situation improves soon with all the reforms happening off late.
We are helpless and voiceless here. Going through the consumer court drill requires a lot of patience. Posting in the customer grievance cell of Tata Motors is an exercise in vain. I hope I be heard!
Old 28th August 2011, 19:53   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post

Reminds me of an incidence that happened with my friend while we were in US.

He got his car jump started in the morning with the help of a local mechanic. Later when he was on his way to office, just as he hit the freeway (70 MPH), the bonnet suddenly popped open and crashed into the windshield. No one was injured. If I remember well, Insurance policy didn't cover the expenses as it was windshield replacement and not repair. Costed him $500 approx.

By the way, the car involved was Toyota Camry.

So I would suggest not to overlook the service center angle.

Last edited by Rock 'n' rollz : 28th August 2011 at 19:56.
Rock 'n' rollz is offline   Reply With Quote