Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2011, 23:14   #46
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mumbai/BLR/USA
Posts: 928
Thanked: 190 Times
Default Re: Need help with some issues on my Figo TDCi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astleviz View Post
On a particular highway drive (Jodhpur-Jaipur-Jodhpur) where i decided to stick to the speed limit (90 kmph) and avoid hard acceleration in lower gears, (2 people on board, 100% AC usage) I got 25 kmpl. This was using the auto stop to auto stop filling method at the same petrol pump where we filled up from.
25 kmpl is really a figure to envy that's awesome man.
tj123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2011, 00:44   #47
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Panjim, Goa
Posts: 362
Thanked: 156 Times
Default Re: Need help with some issues on my Figo TDCi

Yeah, but it needed a lot of patience to stick to 80-90 kmph on the Rajasthan highways and to restrain from accelerating hard. Almost everyone on the highway overtook me. Usually I get 22+ kmpl on the highways.
This winter, I intend to do another FE run, will fill up nitrogen (32 psi), stay under 80 kmph and keep the AC off. Let's see what I can achieve.
Astleviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2011, 00:51   #48
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Panjim, Goa
Posts: 362
Thanked: 156 Times
Default Re: Need help with some issues on my Figo TDCi

Quote:
Originally Posted by basky View Post
I used to get 1000 DTE on my Fiesta but never more than 750 on the Figo - same engine, same settings and lighter. Cant understand it.
I have seen 980+ DTE on my Figo several times on the highways with some sedate driving but I don't trust the DTE much. I always use the auto stop to auto stop filling method. Ask the pump attendant to set the dispenser on auto stop, note down the odo reading when the dispenser stops and tell the attendant not to fill any more fuel. Then go on a long drive. When it's time to refuel, go down to the same pump if possible, or another trusted pump and ask him to do the same. Note down the latest odo reading and how much fuel goes in. I find this method to be the most accurate.
Astleviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2011, 23:59   #49
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 532
Thanked: 198 Times
Default Re: Need help with some issues on my Figo TDCi

Hey guys, looks like another issue is to be added to the already existing list of issues.

Since the time I got the USB cable attached (from dealer), I was using a 1 GB Transcend pen drive. A week back I transferred all the songs to a 2 GB Transcend pen drive and now I get "USB Error" if I navigate beyond Folder # 11. There are approximately 285+ songs and I get this error after the player has played some 120 songs.

Is anyone facing a similar kind of issue? Is there a limit on the player for the size of memory stick it supports?
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2011, 00:31   #50
BHPian
 
EagleEye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 378
Thanked: 266 Times
Default Re: Need help with some issues on my Figo TDCi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post
Hey guys, looks like another issue is to be added to the already existing list of issues.

Since the time I got the USB cable attached (from dealer), I was using a 1 GB Transcend pen drive. A week back I transferred all the songs to a 2 GB Transcend pen drive and now I get "USB Error" if I navigate beyond Folder # 11. There are approximately 285+ songs and I get this error after the player has played some 120 songs.

Is anyone facing a similar kind of issue? Is there a limit on the player for the size of memory stick it supports?
Can you try with another pen drive too? I'm planning to get the USB cable installed in my figo tomorrow and would like to know if there are any maximum limits for pen drive size.
EagleEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2011, 00:42   #51
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 532
Thanked: 198 Times
Default Re: Need help with some issues on my Figo TDCi

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleEye View Post
Can you try with another pen drive too? I'm planning to get the USB cable installed in my figo tomorrow and would like to know if there are any maximum limits for pen drive size.
Yup .. have done that already. I first thought it might be an issue with the pen drive itself, so tried two different makes of Pen drives. I also tried with a flash player and my mobile (which has 8 gigs). It does not work all together!!! Keeps charging itself.

If you are going tomorrow, can you please ask the service station guys if they are aware of any such nonsense issue??

Gradually the honeymoon period with the Figo is getting over ... and as days are passing by I am getting impatient to get rid of this car. Renault, Ford and all others please launch their 5 seater SUVS real quick ..
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2011, 03:00   #52
BHPian
 
Catalyst_delhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Noida/Coimbator
Posts: 339
Thanked: 148 Times
Default Re: Need help with some issues on my Figo TDCi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post
Hey guys, looks like another issue is to be added to the already existing list of issues.

Since the time I got the USB cable attached (from dealer), I was using a 1 GB Transcend pen drive. A week back I transferred all the songs to a 2 GB Transcend pen drive and now I get "USB Error" if I navigate beyond Folder # 11. There are approximately 285+ songs and I get this error after the player has played some 120 songs.

Is anyone facing a similar kind of issue? Is there a limit on the player for the size of memory stick it supports?
This is a common problem , The pendrive / memorycard or usb stick device has to be formatted in FAT or FAT 32 and not NTFS not other file system,
Format the device in FAT for best compatability , make sure that there are no special characters in the folder names and check if the bit rate of the mp3 files are 128 kbps or below..

I had the same problem you faced on many HUs which will throw up a error 22.
Catalyst_delhi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2011, 15:33   #53
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 532
Thanked: 198 Times
Default Re: Need help with some issues on my Figo TDCi

^^Thanks for the info Catalyst_delhi!

Though I am not hundred percent sure, but I think the drive is FAT formatted.

And yes, the bit rate is surely higher than 128 kbps. Did not know it can cause an issue for the player.

I am off to Surat today and will be able to check the settings only by Monday or Tuesday.
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2011, 13:53   #54
BHPian
 
EagleEye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 378
Thanked: 266 Times
Default Re: Need help with some issues on my Figo TDCi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post
Yup .. have done that already. I first thought it might be an issue with the pen drive itself, so tried two different makes of Pen drives. I also tried with a flash player and my mobile (which has 8 gigs). It does not work all together!!! Keeps charging itself.

If you are going tomorrow, can you please ask the service station guys if they are aware of any such nonsense issue??
I got the USB cable installed yesterday. Bought a new Sandisk 4 GB drive for 300 bucks and formatted it in FAT32 file system. Loaded 3 GB of songs onto it.

Figo plays them all perfectly.
EagleEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2011, 22:19   #55
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 532
Thanked: 198 Times
Default Re: Need help with some issues on my Figo TDCi

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleEye View Post
I got the USB cable installed yesterday. Bought a new Sandisk 4 GB drive for 300 bucks and formatted it in FAT32 file system. Loaded 3 GB of songs onto it. Figo plays them all perfectly.
Lucky You!!!

Formatted the drive to FAT32 and still it dose not play beyond 1 GB. Can you tell me if the songs you are playing are all lower than 128 kbps?

Well, apart from the all the issues and the latest one (1 GB issue) the car did amazingly well on the Pune - Surat trip.

Three of us in the car, Me, My better half and my year old kid with loads of luggage the car zipped through the entire stretch. Reached Surat in just about 6 hours!

Even with all th issues I am facing, I was very happy to the "896" on the DTE!!
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2011, 00:02   #56
BHPian
 
EagleEye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 378
Thanked: 266 Times
Default Re: Need help with some issues on my Figo TDCi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post
Lucky You!!!

Formatted the drive to FAT32 and still it dose not play beyond 1 GB. Can you tell me if the songs you are playing are all lower than 128 kbps?

...

Even with all th issues I am facing, I was very happy to the "896" on the DTE!!
This is where you are lucky, and I'm not. Never have been able to get more than 15 kpl on my 3200 kms journey. :(
How many kms have you run? And can you tell me how you use the AC? Do you leave it at coldest position or somewhere in between? And do you keep switching of the compressor manually from time to time?

Anyway, checked my song collection and all of them are 128 kbps and higher.
I have played some songs that were 220 kbps too, and maybe some that are higher.
But I can tell you that 128 kbps is definitely not a limit.

Btw when you formatted, did you do a quick format or a full format? I did a full format just to be sure.
EagleEye is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2011, 21:20   #57
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 532
Thanked: 198 Times
Default Re: Need help with some issues on my Figo TDCi

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleEye View Post
This is where you are lucky, and I'm not. Never have been able to get more than 15 kpl on my 3200 kms journey. :(
How many kms have you run? And can you tell me how you use the AC? Do you leave it at coldest position or somewhere in between? And do you keep switching of the compressor manually from time to time?

Anyway, checked my song collection and all of them are 128 kbps and higher.
I have played some songs that were 220 kbps too, and maybe some that are higher.
But I can tell you that 128 kbps is definitely not a limit.

Btw when you formatted, did you do a quick format or a full format? I did a full format just to be sure.
Thanks for the update!

I normally keep the AC on almost for the entire journey if I am with my family. I keep it somewhere midway. Depends if I am travelling during day time or night.

So far I have run 19330 Kms. However even in the initial days I used to get somewhere around 17 or 18 kmpl.

A few things which I have noticed about diesel cars is: -

1. Never rush through gears. Let the engine have sufficient time to build up the correct RPM for gear shift.
2. Once in overdrive (5th gear) don't rest your feet on the clutch.
3. Try to maintain a constant speed. I normally stick around 80 to 100 km/hr depending on road conditions and who is travelling with me.
4. Never let the DTE go below 80. Refuel it to auto cut-off. (Full Tank)
5. Anticipate stops or slower speeds and shift in the right gear.
6. Make use of brake as minimum as possible.
7. While climbing ghats, make sure the AC is tuned off. Makes a lot of difference.

Apart from these things,

1. Make sure the car is washed in and out before a long journey. It does make a difference.
2. All the tyres have the right tyre pressure depending on the load you will be carrying, outside climate and the road conditions.
3. Don't drive under stress, take sufficient brakes to keep yourself relaxed.
4. Its better to keep the ego aside during driving on road. Saves a lot of hassle!!

Well, as far as the Pen drive issue is concerned, I did not quick format the drive. The songs on my pen drive range from 128 kbps to 365 or so kbps. they all play until they are in 1 GB space. Anything above that just bombs out .. :(

Its almost time for the third service so will have to get it checked. Will update soon.
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2011, 01:20   #58
BHPian
 
EagleEye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 378
Thanked: 266 Times
Default Re: Need help with some issues on my Figo TDCi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post
Well, as far as the Pen drive issue is concerned, I did not quick format the drive. The songs on my pen drive range from 128 kbps to 365 or so kbps. they all play until they are in 1 GB space. Anything above that just bombs out .. :(

Its almost time for the third service so will have to get it checked. Will update soon.
A quick way to find out is to find another Figo with a USB cable and try the same pen drive in that (You should be able to do this at the service center).
If it works, you can ask them to change the unit then and there under warranty.
EagleEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2011, 23:06   #59
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 532
Thanked: 198 Times
Default Re: Need help with some issues on my Figo TDCi

Finally!!!! Found what was happening with the pen drive issue!!!

There are a few songs which the player thinks are corrupt and thus throws up an "USB error" on the display! Removed those songs and life is good! Now I have over 300 songs to choose from while on long drives!!!

One thing: - It does not matter what bit rate you are playing, second thing: - Does not matter if the drive has been quick formatted or otherwise (just needs to be FAT32).

Tuesday the car goes for its 20K servicing and have already requested for the mudflaps which I had broken on one of the trips. (around Rs.700 for those mudflaps, real costly with no "real" use except for rains. Am sure they will break again sometime .. :( )
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2011, 02:19   #60
BHPian
 
EagleEye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 378
Thanked: 266 Times
Default Re: Need help with some issues on my Figo TDCi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post
Finally!!!! Found what was happening with the pen drive issue!!!

There are a few songs which the player thinks are corrupt and thus throws up an "USB error" on the display! Removed those songs and life is good! Now I have over 300 songs to choose from while on long drives!!!

One thing: - It does not matter what bit rate you are playing, second thing: - Does not matter if the drive has been quick formatted or otherwise (just needs to be FAT32).

Tuesday the car goes for its 20K servicing and have already requested for the mudflaps which I had broken on one of the trips. (around Rs.700 for those mudflaps, real costly with no "real" use except for rains. Am sure they will break again sometime .. :( )
Finally the mystery of the misbehaving usb is figured out!

Btw, have you confirmed that only FAT32 works? NTFS doesn't work for sure?

Also regarding mudflaps, I would suggest third party ones to the OEMs. You can pick up a set for as low as 250 bucks. But you might have to drill into the bumpers to fix them.
EagleEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vista Aura Plus quadrajet or Figo TDCi titanium or Micra XV Premium Diesel?? HELP riziali Hatchbacks 31 4th May 2011 17:02
Figo tdci vs i20 Crdi, help! spyking Hatchbacks 50 19th December 2010 19:37
Ford Ikon 1.4 TDCI 6000KM - Some issues catchvinny Technical Stuff 4 27th August 2009 11:33
Swift LDI issues need some advice (EDIT: Too much of road vibration?!) trancejam Technical Stuff 11 3rd October 2007 20:34


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:52.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks