Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 29th April 2010, 09:28   #46

Originally Posted by GTO View Post
You guys should probably search within this mega OBD thread (OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars). I see the Swift is well covered in that discussion.
GTO, yes I did refer the thread, thanks. But, no one is certain about THE solution, when it comes to Swifts. :(
wmanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2010, 11:49   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Any idea how much the universal units for OBD cost with, say, two adapters?
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2010, 16:12   #48

The cheapest one I have seen with a single adapter is about 78$ on dealextreme. You will need to buy an extra cable I guess.
mtnrajdeep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2015, 13:34   #49
Default Re: PC to ECU Interface (OBD compliant cars)

Hello friends,
Why are OBD scanners so costly in our country? This time I will try to source one from the Chinese market when I visit Sikkim.

Is it impossible to design one at home? There is no dearth of talent on this forum and some electronics people must design a DIY OBD scanner for Indian cars.

How convenient it would be to detect any fault at home and then talk to the service center. This way we can prevent the service center guys from looting us. We can find the exact problem ourselves.

That is the reason why I have never ever come across an OBD scanner tool at small garages.

What necessary equipment will you need-

1. A microprocessor chip.
2. A computer program to assign different codes to different situations.
3. Cables and patch-cords.

But yes-The manufacturer would be following a different set of codes while designing the OBD computer and if our error codes do not match them-we will diagnose everything wrong.

So basically you have to design your own OBD computer if you want to design your own OBD scanner.

That also explains why local garages cannot use just any OBD.
Ashok Naik is offline   Reply With Quote