Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 13th September 2011, 07:48   #1
BHPian

Unhappy The Curious case of the Volkswagen Passat

My Family owns a 2009 Passat Highline AT. Back then the local dear (EVM Motors) did not deal with CBUs and hence the delivery of the car was taken from Trinity Motors Banaglore.
For two years the car performed without any flaws and it was nothing short of a smooth ride.
Now in 2011, she has started showing her true colours. Having covered just 41982Kms as of today morning she behaves nothing like the way she is supposed to.

It started about three weeks back , when i started her up in the morning. I was backing out of the garage and heard a distinct knocking sound from the engine. It sort of went like "Tuk tuk" when the engine was revved and rpm returned back to normal state. For a second i thought it was something to do with something to do with the fan belt or something. Driving out for about ten mins, the Oil Low Warning flashes. Being the first time that ever happened , i pull the car over and switch it off. As the A.S.S is about 6kms from my house i decide to take the car there.

Voila i start it back up and the warning light no longer appears ! I drive all the way to the A.S.S and jus when i enter their premises the light comes on again. A young chap from services comes to me and i explain to him what is going on. I also make him hear the sound and he wisely goes on tell me that engine foundation is making that sound . Shocked , i explain to him.. there is not even a single vibration coming from the engine and how he came to that conclusion. Be backs off saying "Sir, we will check it and then let you know"
Three days and no phone calls later , i call him and ask and he says , the have failed to understand the noise and that they have recorded the sound and mailed it to the volkswagen factory".

Another week goes by and no news. I go there after exactly 11 days and demand an explanation. They say the factory was unable to diagnose the sound clip but we can rectify the problem by replacing the "Flywheel".
I was shocked and initially could not even give a response, the fellow goes on to tell me you can make payment over here and walks me to the cash counter. I regain my senses and ask him how he came up with this expert solution.
He says we can change the flywheel and if the sound dosent go then , next we can change the starter and so on...

Shell shocked at his explanation i explain to him "I am not Ambani". As expected , the fly wheel would cost me a mere Rs.62,000 . And the starter motor another 26,000 + work charges and taxes.

For a premium car that has covered only 40k km and also been meticulously serviced at the A.S.S, i tell him such a damage is nothing short of a catastrophe and that volkswagen must come up with a better option for me also due to the fact that this happened exactly a month after my warranty expired .
They tell me i should take the car from the workshop while they scout for a solution. Its been three weeks and there has been no response from the so far.
The car is lying unused and i am at my wit's end ! I could use all the help anyone could provide to come up with a solution for this problem. Would also appreciate it if fellow BHPians who own passats could share if they had any similar problems !
gov626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2011, 09:39   #2
BHPian

Default Re: The Curious case of the Volkswagen Passat

(the thanks button was pressed mistakenly, apologies).

when was the last service? did they actually change all the requisite items? what are the initial diagnostic steps that you yourself took?
BuRnT RuBbEr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2011, 09:40   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
t started about three weeks back , when i started her up in the morning. I was backing out of the garage and heard a distinct knocking sound from the engine. It sort of went like "Tuk tuk"
Hi There,

Check the below threads. There variables are huge when it comes to the sound under the bonnet. It could be something from bushings to axles, torn boots to bad suspension.

I was reading some threads regarding squeaking and thought this could be helpful.

2002 Passat 1.8T: Creaking sound from firewall/gearbox when starting/stopping (video) - VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum

2002 Passat 1.8T (B5.5) AWM FWD: Tuk-tuk sound from front when accelerating/braking - VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum

These threads may be helpful to atleast find what the problem is. Hope yours is resolved.

In the mean time, drop a complaint through VW india site using contact us as well as drop a message in Facebook page of VW India. The response will be far better when you know its in a common forum.
VW2010 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2011, 09:43   #4
BHPian

You mean they checked nothing? E.g., oil level, coolant level? Assuming that the sound was a knock from the engine, it can be correlated to oil levels falling below allowed LOW which is why the light came on.

The theory behind "engine foundation", flywheel and starter replacement is best known only to the guy who told this, I guess.

I think you should try writing to/calling VAG customer service directly. Aren't the dealers these days run by VW direct? I'm just guessing here, for only this morning I saw a Jetta ad with all dealers listed like "VW Chennai", "VW Anna Nagar", "VW Madurai" etc.
ssh1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2011, 10:05   #5
BHPian

^ that is merely the naming nomenclature. It's an independent dealer entity running under the 'garb' of VW. It's the same for all dealerships in delhi too.
BuRnT RuBbEr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2011, 10:17   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssh1979 View Post
You mean they checked nothing? E.g., oil level, coolant level? Assuming that the sound was a knock from the engine, it can be correlated to oil levels falling below allowed LOW which is why the light came on.

The theory behind "engine foundation", flywheel and starter replacement is best known only to the guy who told this, I guess.

I think you should try writing to/calling VAG customer service directly. Aren't the dealers these days run by VW direct? I'm just guessing here, for only this morning I saw a Jetta ad with all dealers listed like "VW Chennai", "VW Anna Nagar", "VW Madurai" etc.
The Oil light turned off by itself and has not come on since then. They said the oil level was correct too.
I have no idea what brought him to those conclusions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuRnT RuBbEr View Post
(the thanks button was pressed mistakenly, apologies).

when was the last service? did they actually change all the requisite items? what are the initial diagnostic steps that you yourself took?
The last service was carried out at 40,000kms. All the Oils, Filters ,brake pads etc listed by the company were replaced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Hi There,

Check the below threads. There variables are huge when it comes to the sound under the bonnet. It could be something from bushings to axles, torn boots to bad suspension.

I was reading some threads regarding squeaking and thought this could be helpful.

2002 Passat 1.8T: Creaking sound from firewall/gearbox when starting/stopping (video) - VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum

2002 Passat 1.8T (B5.5) AWM FWD: Tuk-tuk sound from front when accelerating/braking - VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum

These threads may be helpful to atleast find what the problem is. Hope yours is resolved.

In the mean time, drop a complaint through VW india site using contact us as well as drop a message in Facebook page of VW India. The response will be far better when you know its in a common forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuRnT RuBbEr View Post
^ that is merely the naming nomenclature. It's an independent dealer entity running under the 'garb' of VW. It's the same for all dealerships in delhi too.
Thanx for the links ! I did check the foum, no one has said anything any solutions.
But as you mentioned, i am looking for the email id and will shoot them a mail as well.

The glitch now that they mention is that my car does not have an extended warranty and hence i have to pay in full for the parts and As of when i took delivery there was no provision of extended warranty for the passat .
Old 13th September 2011, 10:22   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Why flywheel change at such low odo reading? What sort of driving pattern you have? Your location is Kottayam so I do not think there is heavy stop and go traffic like, say, in Mumbai. So why the flywheel wearing off? And you do not replace such an item just of whim of the SA.
sudev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2011, 10:24   #8
Senior - BHPian

I am only guessing, but this could be a simple DIY to check at least a few things like Oil level, and other liquids levels in the car. There is usually a dipstick to pull out to check oil levels (Apologies if i am sounding stupid).

If that is low just buy whatever oil is recommended and fill it up yourself, i think as i read it someplace else its probably Shell Helix Ultra (but please check before doing it yourself).
mayankjha1806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2011, 10:47   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Why flywheel change at such low odo reading? What sort of driving pattern you have? Your location is Kottayam so I do not think there is heavy stop and go traffic like, say, in Mumbai. So why the flywheel wearing off? And you do not replace such an item just of whim of the SA.
exactly my point !
I am from Kottayam, the traffic here is nowhere as bad as that in the metros.
The car has always been driven carefully and owing to the presence of other cars in the house hasnt been used extensively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
I am only guessing, but this could be a simple DIY to check at least a few things like Oil level, and other liquids levels in the car. There is usually a dipstick to pull out to check oil levels (Apologies if i am sounding stupid).

If that is low just buy whatever oil is recommended and fill it up yourself, i think as i read it someplace else its probably Shell Helix Ultra (but please check before doing it yourself).
All the oils,filters,consumables as told by the A.S.S has been replaced just 1000kms before during service. I fail to understand what brought about this problem.
Perhaps they did not change some oil and charged me for it too !
Old 13th September 2011, 10:47   #10
Senior - BHPian

Also check here if there is something that has been already reported and a TSB or Campaign has happened.

If thats the case your fix could be part of the campaign.

VW Complaints, Recall Information and Pending Investigations
VW2010 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2011, 11:11   #11
Senior - BHPian

Did you hear the tuk-tuk only inside the garage, or was it ever present along with the oil level light popping up?
If only the garage, could just be the acoustics.
Try and get the error codes cleared once before putting down half a lac odd bucks.

And yes, basic DIY checks as often as you can(every morning in the garage, perhaps.)
mayankk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2011, 11:18   #12
Team-BHP Support

This is probably not a good guess, but could it be bad fuel? Have you filled up from a different bunk lately? I think the PD engines were also sensitive to the fuel used.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2011, 12:58   #13
Senior - BHPian

Low oil warning + knocking sound from the engine = Rod bearings done.

Get the head lifted, oil pan dropped and check the condition of the crank and rod bearings from underneath. Replace bearings as necessary. Just hope your crank is still in good condition.
pranavt is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2012, 01:11   #14
BHPian

Problem Solved.

All i got done was change the gear oil at a local workshop and she runs like a dream now. And to think, if i had gone the A.S.S way, i would have had to shell out close to a lakh to fix everything !
Old 23rd January 2015, 13:23   #15
BHPian

Wow ! I am so glad to read this outcome. Develop a great rapport with a good local mechanic who is good to handle such cars. It will help you save a lot of money.
Dieselritzer is offline   Reply With Quote