Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 26th February 2006, 12:29   #1
BHPian

Default how 2 exploit the power

hey..im frm bangalore and im really interested in cars...plannin on buyin 2...mainly 4 racin u know..like 4 drags n all..so which car do u suggest in the bracket of 5-8 lacs..in the 1.3-1.5 category...i was thinkin of a second hand honda city vtec..the old 1..wat i wanna know is wat all must i do in the techs of the car 2 exploit the power tht the vtec is supposed 2 be famous 4..

Moderators' note: TBHP prefers posts written using full words, not SMS language. Can we see that from you in the future? Also go through the announcement section for a smooth run. Thanks.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 28th February 2006 at 19:53.
nos_nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2006, 12:37   #2
Senior - BHPian

It's gotta be the OHC Vtec or the Baleno. And abt the mods, the sky is the limit. U can start by a turbo, NOS, a different fuel management sys, ECU.....

There are a couple of heavily modded OHC's and a Baleno on this forum. Check out those n u'll get an idea

Moderators' note: TBHP prefers posts written using full words, not SMS language. You're senior member and suppose to know the rules.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 28th February 2006 at 19:57.
karthik247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2006, 13:09   #3

those cars that you hav mentioned are good. But i wud like to ask u to take a look at a second hand Ford 1.6 litre SXI. The dynamics of the car are class apart and then can push the car to the limits even without a single iota of doubt in ur mind. And all these on a stock. so imagine if u were to put in NOS, Turbo and stuff like that, it wud be mind blowing.

Moderators' note: TBHP prefers posts written using full words, not SMS language. Can we see that from you in the future? Also go through the announcement section for a smooth run. Thanks.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 28th February 2006 at 19:58.
iamdstig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2006, 15:08   #4
Senior - BHPian

For stock thrills, the Vtec would be the winner. However, if you plan big mods for racing, the Baleno would be a better bet.

Buy a car, or finalise a budget, and there are enough options to keep you busy for months...

As for the Ikon, I would have to disagree. While the steering is lovely, and the engine is sweet in stock form, the brakes are downright pathetic, and it's not too mod friendly. There's a reason why you don't see them on the rally/track/drag circuit.
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2006, 15:37   #5
BHPian

Baleno is the right car for heavy mods. Take a look at iceman91's Baleno here - iceman91's Baleno
sridhar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2006, 15:49   #6
BHPian

Well i have hardly seen a mod Baleno in mumbai...but seen loads of modified Lancers...anywayz i have driven both the cars and baleno is more smoother...and the worst part abt baleno are the tail lights...its really looks very dated.....i don't understand why maruti guys are not updating the baleno...i guess it is the only car of maruti which hasn't got any updated version..looks wise
1000bhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2006, 16:29   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000bhp
Well i have hardly seen a mod Baleno in mumbai...but seen loads of modified Lancers...anywayz i have driven both the cars and baleno is more smoother...and the worst part abt baleno are the tail lights...its really looks very dated.....i don't understand why maruti guys are not updating the baleno...i guess it is the only car of maruti which hasn't got any updated version..looks wise
Lancers that you haev seen maybe modded just for looks. Rally cars are usually Balenos
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2006, 17:43   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Rally cars are usually Balenos
Ever watched APRC or WRC???
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2006, 20:03   #9
Senior - BHPian

Macha, I think he means in India. The Indian Lancer is just looks (Devarshi. don't hit me!) compared to the Evo stuff. The WRC cars are bloody expensive man.
Old 26th February 2006, 22:32   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r
Cayenne killer!!!!!!!
HAIL HAIL V1p3r!!

Balenos are the way to go man!!... or you can stick to the V-tec's... the OHC is overengineered - can handle anything you throw at her..

kb
kb100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2006, 01:54   #11
BHPian

Won't the V-tec's cams be difficult to modify considering it has all that cam wizadry? A baleno or a stock old 1.5 city could be a better bet.
Motorholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2006, 11:33   #12
BANNED

Buy a Baleno. Easy to find cheap spares if you blow anything.
Boom Shiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2006, 12:52   #13
BHPian

I had heard that the VTEC engine has a lot of potential due to the can timig, and also since it is in it's bare state of tune. If that is the case, there are loads of things you could tune the VTEC up.

I had gone to the AUTO show at Worli in Mumbai, and a Bangalore based company told me that they recalibrate ECUs of VTEC for 50k!...Expensive man!
turbo_v12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2006, 18:38   #14
BHPian

hmm..baleno..but i was thinkin tht aftr all its maruti engineerin...reliability rnt issues??...also ive heard tht city can be exploited much much more..so personally im in favour of the city...but then i need some more advise..
nos_nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2006, 00:27   #15
Senior - BHPian

Baleno is out and out Japanese engineering. They were, and in some cases still are sold in the US, Europe, Australia, aside from Asia.

To be honest, no, you will have heartache trying to mod a Vtec to the max. For one simple reason: any blow-up or part replacement works out more expensive. Also, the car is out of production, so spares will be continuously more expensive in the coming years.

To give you an idea, the quickest car in the 1400-1600 class at Burnout '05 was a Baleno. So was the quickest car at Speedrun '05.

ps. this year it was a Lancer. And we're trying to figure out how the hell...