Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 19th June 2015, 15:58   #46
RSR
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Excessive/unnecessary engine braking

Quote:
Originally Posted by createrkid View Post
Other suggestions are more than welcome.
I suspect it could be an issue with either the Idle Air Control Actuator/Valve (it could be clogged) or the Throttle Position Sensor.

Please get your engine oil & oil filter changed if it's long overdue (even if it's not related to this issue), as it may harm the engine otherwise.

Last edited by RSR : 19th June 2015 at 16:12.
RSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2015, 16:34   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions guys, I will try them over the weekend and update the thread if anything has changed. Other suggestions are more than welcome

Nope, check engine light is off as it should be
Please get the engine oil, air filter, fuel filter and oil filter changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
I suspect it could be an issue with either the Idle Air Control Actuator/Valve (it could be clogged) or the Throttle Position Sensor.

Please get your engine oil & oil filter changed if it's long overdue (even if it's not related to this issue), as it may harm the engine otherwise.
I agree but I have doubts that OP says the acceleration is normal only suspicion is braking being more from the engine side so if the throttle position sensor is faulty, acceleration should be affected. Right?
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2015, 16:46   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Hyundai Getz gls (petrol - 2005)

So I was driving and I noticed that the engine seems to be braking a lot these days. The car has no issues with accelerator input. It still seems very punchy. Noticed an evident decrease in speed in third gear when I let go off the accelerator . I don't think that brakes are the problem because acceleration is quite the same as before. Can anyone point out to me what's wrong with my car? Also, I haven't changed the engine oil in quite some time, could this be the issue?
Agree with what most of the fellow BHPians advised. Check the tyre pressure, condition of the lub oil and condition of the wheel bearings. If any of these are responsible, you will also see drop in the fuel efficiency.

If the throttle calibration has been affected, I expect to see higher idling rpm. This will reduce your fuel efficiency more in the city than on the highway.

Last edited by Rahul Bhalgat : 19th June 2015 at 16:48.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2015, 18:03   #49
RSR
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I agree but I have doubts that OP says the acceleration is normal only suspicion is braking being more from the engine side so if the throttle position sensor is faulty, acceleration should be affected. Right?
Just to clarify, I mentioned those two in addition to / after ruling out other possible causes mentioned by fellow BHPians (in the absence of an error code). Then I would get the Idle Air Control (IAC) Valve/Actuator checked and cleaned if necessary. Only then would I suspect the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS). A vacuum leak could be another possible cause.

It's indeed true that a classic symptom of a faulty TPS is acceleration getting affected in some way. It's rarer for a faulty TPS to cause unwanted engine braking, but it can do so, especially in a vehicle with a conventional accelerator cable like the Getz.

Last edited by RSR : 19th June 2015 at 18:26.
RSR is offline   Reply With Quote