Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 21st February 2013, 12:42   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Why does i10 1.2 (kappa) have such a tiny air filter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhawcash View Post
Hello Sir,
Just curious, How did you get hold of the flow figures? Do you have access to a flow bench? if yes it must have needed different adapters to measure each filter's flow (as the size is different)?
Hi, those figures are of the K&N replacement filters for those respective vehicles and the flow figures are available on the K&N website. My guess is that the figures are of just the filters on a flow bench and not of the complete airbox with the filter.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2013, 08:36   #17
BHPian

Sankar,

All Indian N/A cars with quad valves (without VVT) have SOME restriction in the intake system, either in the form of several bends (90 degrees) pre-filter or even in the intake plenum after the filter. This is done to improve low end torque...of course at the expense of high end power. I've been studying this for sometime now. The i10, does the same thing differently, ie, by restricting the intake instead of bending it. I presume this was due to space constraints.
Cars which do not have this kind of restriction (almost no bends & no intake restriction) & without VVT were known for their revability, but not for their low end torque. This was put in place by OEM's to make everyday driving less stressful for the average Joe.

Last edited by 1self : 25th February 2013 at 08:38.
1self is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2013, 10:33   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
I am not sure if this thinking of mine is correct or not, but a smaller air filter is opted in favor of low end response. i10 does have enough space to have a long intake for better torque, the only way to obtain turbulence is let the air pass through small intake, which would create some turbulence as the engine is big for the filter.

This theory is applicable only for bumper to bumper traffic. Otherwise, if the CFM values are to be believed, the engine might need more air, which is visible from the dust inside the air hoses. Certainly not good. But I think, even Baleno has a small air filter, considering sheer swept volume ( and not output ).
Yes for increasing the low end response, but instead of inducing turbulence its to increase the intake velocity. Higher intake velocity aids better torque characteristics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1self View Post
Sankar,

All Indian N/A cars with quad valves (without VVT) have SOME restriction in the intake system, either in the form of several bends (90 degrees) pre-filter or even in the intake plenum after the filter. This is done to improve low end torque...of course at the expense of high end power. I've been studying this for sometime now. The i10, does the same thing differently, ie, by restricting the intake instead of bending it. I presume this was due to space constraints.
Cars which do not have this kind of restriction (almost no bends & no intake restriction) & without VVT were known for their revability, but not for their low end torque. This was put in place by OEM's to make everyday driving less stressful for the average Joe.
The AStar was not known for its low end torque and Maruti in their 2010 mid and later model AStars changed the Air filter configuration. My car which was an early 2010 model had a larger airfilter than the later model AStars which used a smaller filter in a completely different airbox. Maruti made this the std airbox in all of their K10B cars.

The i10 1.2 with the BMC CDA was lot more fun to drive than in its stock configuration, the car used to pull well into higher RPM.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2013, 13:11   #19
BHPian

Sankar,

How much did the BMC set up cost you. Is there any difference in the exhaust note. What is the change in FE post this.

My ride is an AT and hence eeking out the maximum mileage has become utmost priority.

Thanks.
autotranny is offline   Reply With Quote