Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2011, 00:09   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 22
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Honda City AT - Transmission problem

2010 Honda city V-AT has a transmission problem. Let me explain. As soon as I start the car and move the gear lever from P to D, the car jerks and moves a few inches forward along with making some noise. I know it is normal for it to jerk when you put it to D but this is totally different and sounds weird too. And when when am driving, doing 40km/h it again jerks. I think while moving from 2nd to 3rd gear.
Importantly the dashboard shows D(drive mode) blinking even if I move it to S(sport mode). From which I can assume that there is a problem with it.

1. What kind of a problem is this??

2. Is it safe do even drive the car around in town? And if I do will it affect the gear box??

3. Has anyone else also had the same problem??

4. Finally how much will it cost me??
amar_1422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2011, 00:34   #2
BHPian
 
swarnava.m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mumbai/Margao
Posts: 632
Thanked: 256 Times
Default re: Honda City AT - Transmission problem

1. Not very proficient in diagnosing this issue, but to me it seems likely a gearbox issue. I have heard of a few hassles in AT boxes.
2. Driving it around with a messy gearbox(if that indeed is the problem) might not be a safe option. For one, there are more chances that if something actually comes apart, you might be stalled when you are least expecting it. Apart from that, it might just be damaging the drivetrain (or parts thereof). Best to get it checked thoroughly before you use it any further.
3. No, this is a new one to me.
4. Now that varies. Unless the problem is accurately diagnosed, it is very difficult to estimate the cost for the repair. If the car is still under warranty, the service guys should do it for free. Otherwise, the cost may vary from just labour charges in case of minor problems or the cost of spares in case something needs to be replaced.

Will keep an eye, do let us know how it turns out.
swarnava.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2011, 12:49   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,453
Thanked: 955 Times
Default re: Honda City AT - Transmission problem

Why would you like to drive around in this situation?
I would recommend that you take it to the service station and get it checked right away.

Service center would have everything required to diagnose this. ANd 2010 model means you are still within warranty period, right? They why worry?
anandpadhye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2011, 15:21   #4
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,762
Thanked: 6,670 Times
Default re: Honda City AT - Transmission problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by amar_1422 View Post
Importantly the dashboard shows D(drive mode) blinking even if I move it to S(sport mode). From which I can assume that there is a problem with it.
The D blinking means there is a transmission fault. Why would you try and drive around further? Take it to Honda.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2011, 16:01   #5
BHPian
 
Cyborg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bombay
Posts: 377
Thanked: 226 Times
Default re: Honda City AT - Transmission problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by amar_1422 View Post
2010 Honda city V-AT has a transmission problem. Let me explain. As soon as I start the car and move the gear lever from P to D, the car jerks and moves a few inches forward along with making some noise. I know it is normal for it to jerk when you put it to D but this is totally different and sounds weird too. And when when am driving, doing 40km/h it again jerks. I think while moving from 2nd to 3rd gear.
Importantly the dashboard shows D(drive mode) blinking even if I move it to S(sport mode). From which I can assume that there is a problem with it.

1. What kind of a problem is this??

2. Is it safe do even drive the car around in town? And if I do will it affect the gear box??

3. Has anyone else also had the same problem??

4. Finally how much will it cost me??
Amar, I would suggest taking your car to the the Honda guys where you bought it from immediately as driving it this way will cause more damage for sure.
Your model is 2010 and you must be having the 2+2 years warranty period which you are well inside.
Don't worry it will surely get fixed!
Cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2011, 16:22   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,376
Thanked: 528 Times
Default re: Honda City AT - Transmission problem

I suggest ask for the Honda roadside assistance and let them come and take a look at it. It may be riskier to drive.
Guna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2011, 16:58   #7
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 35
Thanked: 14 Times
Default re: Honda City AT - Transmission problem

Do not drive with this problem. You may end up burning or further damaging the part that is creating the problem and the cost of repair would shoot up drastically if it means replacing a bigger assembly.

I had a AT problem in City but that was VTec and ended up replacing the entire assembly.
Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2011, 17:37   #8
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 22
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Thanks everyone for the help and advise!!
I have already sent the car for servicing to Honda. I still have no idea what the problem is. Will keep you all updated on what the problem is, once I get in touch with them.
amar_1422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2011, 15:17   #9
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 22
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Hey guys I just spoke to Honda and he said that the problem was caused by a faulty wire which was half chewed up by a RAT!! And that it costs 8k to replace it. The car has been parked for a week and so the rat has made it's home in the engine bay.
What can be done to stop them from entering the engine bay other than drive it everyday n kill the RAT!??
amar_1422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2011, 18:59   #10
Senior - BHPian
 
bluevolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 2,963
Thanked: 2,211 Times
Default re: Honda City AT - Transmission problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by amar_1422 View Post
Hey guys I just spoke to Honda and he said that the problem was caused by a faulty wire which was half chewed up by a RAT!! And that it costs 8k to replace it. The car has been parked for a week and so the rat has made it's home in the engine bay.
What can be done to stop them from entering the engine bay other than drive it everyday n kill the RAT!??
Keep some rat killing cakes under your car/engine bay.
bluevolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2015, 02:17   #11
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 37
Thanked: 13 Times
Default AT car jerking while upshifting

Hi BHPians

I own a 3 month old Grand i10 1.2 Petrol AT.

There is their weird jerking problem (although infrequently). While the car accelerates from 40-50 to higher speed, it jerks continuously as if the gears are downshifting and upshifting repeatedly.

Putting the stick in tiptronic (manual) mode, I see the gear at 3rd. (There are 4 total gears in AT Grand i10)

I have checked the AT fluid and it is full and not leaking.

Anybody else faced such a problem? What to do in such a situation?
ankurbhageria is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PICS : Overhauling a Honda City CVT transmission getanilkhanna Technical Stuff 4 21st August 2016 10:25
Mercedes Benz 300D (W123 series): Manual Transmission to Automatic Transmission. wartikars Post-War 5 3rd January 2014 12:39
Automatic transmission service (Honda City 1.5 EXI AT ) ralstonraz Technical Stuff 7 2nd May 2011 12:37
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 AT - Transmission Problem sraghunath Technical Stuff 9 22nd March 2011 10:07
All New Honda City Black Auto Transmission - 8000kms Ownership Experience Report Karizma Fan Long-Term Ownership Reviews 55 29th December 2010 19:23


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 14:07.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks